Caution All 2009 Polaris Owners

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished talking with my dealer about my 2009 800 Assault engine eating its pigs......they claim there is a snow ingestion problem with there hoods. It seems that snow is being ingested from around the light bezel and instrument panel cowling (not sure if this is the correct term, but you get the jist of it). So I would talk to your dealers and see what kind of problems they are having and what there going to do about.....You don't want to end up like me.....sitting on the couch, when I could be out riding. Hope this helps all of you!!!:rant::rant::nono::confused::confused::mad::mad:

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look under he hood into the top of the air intake the only opening for snow is around the knob that adjusts headlight height. Silicon it up and you should be okay.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think it was slp that sells a pree filter for the nobs that just attaches by velcro so you can adjust your headlight easly

jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last week in mc bride my sled 08 rmk 700 air box wet and full of snow
my dads 08 rmk 600 wet and full of snow
my buddys 09 800 dragon not a drop of water or snow he was doing what we were doing so i kind of thought they fixed the problem
people have been bitchin about it since 07 i dont know why polaris didnt do anything about it sooner

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you could put in a after market headlight in like this. No issues is 2-3 of powder all day long. dry dry dry.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 188

saskboy

Reaction score
Just took the engine out of my Assault yesterday on a 400 mile 3 day ride in northern Saskatchewan. Not a happy camper I am now sitting waiting for my buddies to finish the ride so they can come back with the truck and trailer and get me.:(:(

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your luck....mine waited until I was trying to start it to unload it at the dealer!! Best of Luck!!!!! Let me know what happens!!! I'm going to try to get some photos in the morning , when I'm talking to the mechanic.:rant::rant::rant::mad::mad::mad:

Mag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is where the snow was getting into mine.

12-21-08042.jpg

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard today by the stealer that we should be tapeing or otherwise blocking that hole by the headlight knob and putting a bead of silicone were the two screws are right behind the handle bars to prevent snow and such from entering units.

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
The IQ's have had this problem for some time. Here is the fix I did for my 08 D8 and it works fantastic. You don't have to silicone any holes or pi$$ around with re-sealing the headlight housing.

Since the addition of the air intake, I have rode many times in 4+ feet of fresh powder without a problem. I bought it from Timbersled Products

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 52407%20028%20(Small).jpg
    52407%20028%20(Small).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 167

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how does that work with the hood closed, looks like it would just suck the hot air from the engine rather then cold out side air

saskboy

Reaction score
anyone seen a piston like this?? wondering is it snow ingestion or lean burn whats your thoughts?exhaust side

intake side

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
how does that work with the hood closed, looks like it would just suck the hot air from the engine rather then cold out side air

The intake acutally sticks up into behind the dash through the hole in the cowling on the underside of the hood. It sucks nothing but cold air. If you look where your air vents are by your guages, that's where the air intake sucks the air from. Here's how I installed it.

The intake comes as a kit. I siliconed the base of the air intake to the top of the air box to ensure that no snow or road grime or salt would get into the air box. I then screwed the air intake in place.

Second, I made the hole in the hood cowling bigger for the air intake to fit through when the hood is closed. This too was simple, just pull the four plastic rivets out and pull the removable plastic piece with it.

Third, I ripped out the foam socks that are behind the air vents on the dash to allow more air movement to get to the air intake. Once you make the hole bigger in the cowling (in step #2) you can reach your hand through and take out the foamies. Or you can remove the dash and do it that way too. The entire install took about 30 minutes and about three beers.

Cost was about $225.00. I figured that was cheap vs. fighting with Polaris for warranty and losing weeks of riding due to engine failiures. I personally did not like the design of the gapping hole on top of the air box. I think its too easy for snow injestion and other debris to get into the engine and cause all types of problems.

Mag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The intake acutally sticks up into behind the dash through the hole in the cowling on the underside of the hood. It sucks nothing but cold air. If you look where your air vents are by your guages, that's where the air intake sucks the air from. Here's how I installed it.

The intake comes as a kit. I siliconed the base of the air intake to the top of the air box to ensure that no snow or road grime or salt would get into the air box. I then screwed the air intake in place.

Second, I made the hole in the hood cowling bigger for the air intake to fit through when the hood is closed. This too was simple, just pull the four plastic rivets out and pull the removable plastic piece with it.

Third, I ripped out the foam socks that are behind the air vents on the dash to allow more air movement to get to the air intake. Once you make the hole bigger in the cowling (in step #2) you can reach your hand through and take out the foamies. Or you can remove the dash and do it that way too. The entire install took about 30 minutes and about three beers.

Cost was about $225.00. I figured that was cheap vs. fighting with Polaris for warranty and losing weeks of riding due to engine failiures. I personally did not like the design of the gapping hole on top of the air box. I think its too easy for snow injestion and other debris to get into the engine and cause all types of problems.

Kewl I've had an intake on order from Timbersled, waiting for it to get here still.

I hadn't heard of anybody that had one already, thanks for the install tips.

2dragons

Reaction score
yes SLP is the place to find a solution for your problem its HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT KNOB PRE-FILTER part # 14-133 i just ordered one today and they seem great to deal with 1-208-529-0244 is the phone number. good luck buddy!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pics that you have there dont really look like snow ingestion to me.. Usually when it ingests snow you'll mainly just get scoring on the intake side of the piston.. With the erosion of the piston on the exhaust side that seems alot more to me like detonation or a lean problem.. Snow ingestion also doesn't make alot ofsense to me with it having scoring most of the way around the piston.. The worst of the scoring is on the exhaust side so i dont think that it has to do with snow, also i got buddies that have over 1000miles on there '09 rmk 800's and it's all been in the mtns. And they havn't had any issues with snow ingestion at all, they did have one motor that had a crank bearing pile up.. Other than that they havn't really had alot of motor issues..

Top Bottom