Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Stay off the steep hills. High avy conditions means high.
Its been + 8 for two days. So you can guess the conditions. Fording is tracked out big time. I was out there for two days. One close call today. Ill maybe post the pictures and tell story after I think about it or i calm down

Last edited:

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Saturday, was out to the south near where Pasque and Cummins creek trails fork talking to a few other sledders. All our machines were turned off when all four of us heard a loud but short lived roar like a train. Seemed to come from directly west of our position. I've never witnessed a full on slide myself but I would venture to bet I've now heard one. I looked, but could not see any snow floating about or any debris. I would guess that it would have been right round 2 PM. or the record, this WAS NOT a jet overhead.

Stay off the steep hills. High avy conditions means high.
Its been + 8 for two days. So you can guess the conditions. Fording is tracked out big time. I was out there for two days. One close call today. Ill maybe post the pictures and tell story after I think about it or i calm down

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Saturday, was out to the south near where Pasque and Cummins creek trails fork talking to a few other sledders. All our machines were turned off when all four of us heard a loud but short lived roar like a train. Seemed to come from directly west of our position. I've never witnessed a full on slide myself but I would venture to bet I've now heard one. I looked, but could not see any snow floating about or any debris. I would guess that it would have been right round 2 PM. or the record, this WAS NOT a jet overhead.

Puckaneer19 You have have to remember that Fording mine is directly west of where you where over the first row of mountains. They do there Blasting at 2ish and sometimes 4. My buddy works there and told me this as i have herd these befor down that way. The way the wind was blowing out of the west on saturday it could be carrying the sound...... Im not saying it wasnt a slide But i would guess it was the mine Blast.

Last edited:

TryHonesty

Reaction score
rolling thunder for sure, it was sure glad to hear those guys who just went down there come back safe 5 mins later.

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the OUT OF BOUNDS slide that was caused... By ppl with little to zero knowledge of the area let alone conditions... This is mt bolton, and it slides countless times every year NATURALLY... Throw a sled on it and it is recipe for disaster... DO NOT ever think about this hill as it is out of bounds and can land u a 20k$ fine or even worse.... This is protected don Getty park, and if u didn't know that, than u shouldn't be there...

he3unu5a.jpg

Last sat during HIGH avi conditions... Triggered by sled, to bad video was removed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TryHonesty

Reaction score
well it looks like that mountain needs some sexual healing......gaaahaha! Seriously people!! Stop climbing this mountain on the AB side, its illegal and bad for you, it will slide to bare rock its so unstable, these are the mountains that can kill! Get over to the BC side then giver, there shouldn't need to be a sign, but its almost like it needs to go up. In other news, the new google maps with terrain turned on shows you alot of the whole cataract/etherington area, very interesting.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it looks like that mountain needs some sexual healing......gaaahaha! Seriously people!! Stop climbing this mountain on the AB side, its illegal and bad for you, it will slide to bare rock its so unstable, these are the mountains that can kill! Get over to the BC side then giver, there shouldn't need to be a sign, but its almost like it needs to go up. In other news, the new google maps with terrain turned on shows you alot of the whole cataract/etherington area, very interesting.
WOW so cool! It show you EXACTLY where the trail is , the border and Mt Bolton.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.3293026,-114.7951121,15z/data=!5m1!1e4

THX for the head's up. We need to use this more often!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Calgary Club can apply for signs to aid in the area. Stay on Trail and avalanche signs are available. Avalanche signs may be old stock but I think I had some when they moved the signs to Westlock.

knocksum

Reaction score
Ya I am heading out with one other. PM if you want to join up. Conditions look very good if this week contintues to dump snow.

Mattjames

Reaction score
Anyone heading out on Sunday that wouldn't mind a tag along?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your Input Requested

What are the most important repairs that are needed to the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area trails?

E.S.R.D has communicated with me looking for a list of priorities for repairs to the trail system. They are going to be dividing the budget they have and setting priorities soon, and the C.C.S.A. is only one area out of many needing trail work. (This does not include the "Etherington parking lot", as this falls within Alberta Parks' budget, and I am currently unsure of it's repair/rebuild status.)

For all of you who have been riding at C.C.S.A, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE DONE?

Please PM/message me directly here, or send an e-mail to trails@calgarysnowmobileclub.net, your observations/priorities by Wednesday night, March 26, and I will put together what actual users of the trails would like to see done. I will post my communication to E.S.R.D. here, once it is submitted.

Organizer
Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee
Calgary Snowmobile Club

Plattler

Reaction score
Great day on Saturday. South trails were in good shape. First 15 minutes out of parking lot however.... my poor suspension. Thanks Bunn for being so photogenic.

Attachments

• IMGP0227.jpg
    IMGP0227.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 169

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, there are a couple of high priorities for trail grooming!
Great day on Saturday. South trails were in good shape. First 15 minutes out of parking lot however.... my poor suspension. Thanks Bunn for being so photogenic.

martyscar

Reaction score
Hey Kaz Dog. Met up with you last Saturday at the one intersection (and at the survival cabin), we were riding the Mountain Cats and the Summit. Was an awesome day in the sunshine. As we told you, been riding in there for 20+ years and would like to help out on fixing up the trails, etc. Please keep me informed on what is needed and when you plan to go out.
cheers

As for what is needed out there, I think we discussed the bridge over what we call "The Hole". The creek crossing that you have try and make the steep climb out on ice from the water heading into the Pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom