Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have an updated map out here. I haven't been out this year yet. How are things...are all trails mark on what is passable or not. Thinking to head out next week. Thanks

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are two, new, black 4x8 signs at the entrance of Etherington and Cataract Creek P.R.A.'s/trailheads with maps issued by ESRD since the work done to catalogue the flood damage of June, 2013. The are a professional representation of the map below:

Attachments

• 2013 12 29 CCSA Trail Conditions and Damage.jpg
    2013 12 29 CCSA Trail Conditions and Damage.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 214

RMKRookie

Reaction score
Hi Kaz, did you get the trailer home????
There was a "skiff" of new snow in the Cataract Creek parking lot today, and the grader was on the 940 moving off 2"-3" of snow that had blown onto the road. While driving in, it looked as if there was snow to the south/west, so I expect the more western-southern trails got a bit more.

I was there to pull the axle off my 2-place sled trailer that broke down two weekends ago and had to be left. It seems that there are some class "A" A-holes that drive to there, as someone had broken my ball lock off - for what reason I do not know as the trailer was missing a wheel/tire and wheel hub. Further, they had drilled into the receiver to remove the ball that had broken off the locking device and become stuck in the receiver - further damaging the receiver. This after some other people (?) burnt the unloading dock there at least three weeks ago. What is going on with peoples' thinking?

jay_boom

Reaction score
Curious if anyone is headed out today or tomorrow? Plans changed for a trip to Revy and a bit too much estrogen floating around home so just looking to see the area with someone that knows it well and burn some gas.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is cataract strictly for sleds? I was at Bragg creek today for the very first time and had the worst time ever?

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Sleds only. The only wheeled things allowed on the trails are mountain bikes

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is cataract strictly for sleds? I was at Bragg creek today for the very first time and had the worst time ever?

yes sleds only out there. The trails are not groomed. They are starting to get whoops. So if thats better then quad ruts at Mclean then you could try there lol. Im just telling you this so you don't go there expecting to do 60 mile /hr on the trail

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Whats the easiest way to get there?

Take the roads to Longview then it's like 40km west on a dead ended (closed at gate) road to the parking lots... Or u could sled there from elk ford, but I'd recommend the the first option... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there areas where you can get of the trails to play in the deep stuff?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, and if u head over to the bc side it just gets even better

that would be fording pass? Is it tough riding to get there, I would have the wife so that's why I ask

im fairly new to riding and have never ventured far from home. Does a person require avalanche gear and training at cataract. Was also thinking of maybe going to crowsnest for a weekend, again avalanche gear?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that would be fording pass? Is it tough riding to get there, I would have the wife so that's why I ask

im fairly new to riding and have never ventured far from home. Does a person require avalanche gear and training at cataract. Was also thinking of maybe going to crowsnest for a weekend, again avalanche gear?
Going over Fording could be technical for a new rider. Lots of shale to negotiate and a tricky little hill to get up. You should always dcarry avalanche gear in the back country. Cataract is pretty tame but never rule out mother nature.

Charette_Syndrome

Reaction score
Ya fording isn't something to just check out... Ud prob not find it, it's quite a crazy journey through some not so fun stuff... And ya back there avi gear is a def must...
Around cataract u don't need gear as it's mostly trails trees meadows... I'd say if u got the wife cataract is a good place to start,

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will definitely be getting av gear and proper training for next season so I can venture further into the back country.

I will assume that all riding in radium area would require av give, would crowsnest area be the same.

I'm from drumheller so I figure I got about a 3 hour drive to cataract, any recommendations where to stay if I was to make a weekend of it.

do I require any permits to ride cataract?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will definitely be getting av gear and proper training for next season so I can venture further into the back country.

I will assume that all riding in radium area would require av give, would crowsnest area be the same.

I'm from drumheller so I figure I got about a 3 hour drive to cataract, any recommendations where to stay if I was to make a weekend of it.

do I require any permits to ride cataract?
Yes your safest riding would be Cataract. The Crowsnest Pass would be a good notch up on the potential danger scale. You should have an Alberta snowbile trail pass but the chances of a Ranger showing up are slim usually at Cataract. Probably High River, Longview or Black Diamond are your best bets for accomodations for riding the Cataract area.

RoughNecksRam403

Reaction score
Now, Im new here, so please bear with me. I really didnt want to read every page and it more than likely would have taken forever. Anyway, my question is, where is cataract exactly? especially if people should be lodging in high river/black diamond, etc...

Also, It may be a long shot, but trails or anything fun in the Lethbridge area that you guys may know of? even if I have to drive and hour and a half. Im assuming cataract would be close. But I was thinking id like to go more towards the pincher creek/pass area. Im also a brand new rider and only have basic safety gear. So no treacherous terrain for this guy.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now, Im new here, so please bear with me. I really didnt want to read every page and it more than likely would have taken forever. Anyway, my question is, where is cataract exactly? especially if people should be lodging in high river/black diamond, etc...

Also, It may be a long shot, but trails or anything fun in the Lethbridge area that you guys may know of? even if I have to drive and hour and a half. Im assuming cataract would be close. But I was thinking id like to go more towards the pincher creek/pass area. Im also a brand new rider and only have basic safety gear. So no treacherous terrain for this guy.

541 west of Longview then south on the 940.

Its worth going back a few pages of this thread

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So, my two cents....

Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area (CCSA) is approximately 37 kms. southwest of Longview, AB, leaving there on Highway 541 west and then south on the Forestry Trunk Road, Highway 940. (Longview, is directly west (and a little south) of High River, on a map if you are looking at one.) The CCSA is at the very south end of the Kananaskis Public Land Use Zone/Kananaskis Country boundary, south of the Highwood River. Hotel it at High River, or Okotoks,......better choice of accommodations. Honestly, not sure of the full extent of accommodations at Black Diamond, or Longview, but both have hotels/Inns.
-
Given your newness to this activity, and your lack of safety gear (which I suggest you obtain now: beacon, probe, and shovel at the minimum - and an AST1 course A.S.A.P.), I would suggest a non-mountain/very-low-to-no-avalanche-activity trail area to start. At Crowsnest Pass, there are trails where you will have a low-to-no avalanche risk, but you can quickly access mountainous/avalanche terrain there, pretty much everywhere. The CCSA is mainly a trail system in the last of the "hills" before the Great Divide/B.C., but you can access mountain/avalanche terrain on one of the approved trails that leads over to B.C. We suggest only advanced snowmobilers use this trail, as it has a very steep and challenging climb on it - not meant for new or not very experienced sledders.

I am not aware of any trails around Lethbridge, but would assume that your local sled shops know much more than me.

Organizer
Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trail Committee
Calgary Snowmobile Club

Top Bottom