Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where were the 3rd and 4th pics taken? Correct me if Im wrong but they look like the basin on the SE side of Mount Bolton???

Last edited:

geordiep

Reaction score
Where were the 3rd and 4th pics taken? Correct me if Im wrong but they look like the basin on the SE side of Mount Bolton???
Yep, 4th picture is valley South of Mount Bolton. 1st and 2nd are in that valley too.
SPOT GPS: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl...8123&ll=50.32812,-114.78123&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

3rd picture is just before the first "bare ridge" you cross coming in. North side of the trail up through the trees. All the snow blown off the ridge lands in there. That area was most fun on Saturday.

Last edited:

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, 4th picture is valley South of Mount Bolton. 1st and 2nd are in that valley too.
SPOT GPS: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl...8123&ll=50.32812,-114.78123&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

3rd picture is just before the first "bare ridge" you cross coming in. North side of the trail up through the trees. All the snow blown off the ridge lands in there. That area was most fun on Saturday.

Please be aware that everything on the Alberta side is out of bounds off the trail. If we want to keep this area open we need to respect the boundary.

Attachments

• Fording Out of Bounds.jpg
    Fording Out of Bounds.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 321

geordiep

Reaction score
Didn't know that and I bet most who have ridden their don't either. Is it in Kananaskis Park or something? Is the black line on your map the actual trail?

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The people who know the area try to educate the others who don't know what is in and out of bounds. There is a sign (maybe even 2) along the trail that does clearly outline the boundary of Don Getty Wilderness Provincial Park as you enter it, that is the section we must all stick to the trail for. However when bombing down the trail at high speeds as most of us do, i don't think a lot of people stop to read the signs. We as a group need to try to be more aware of the restrictions in all areas, whether it be Caribou, Wilderness Parks or Glaciers.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a "skiff" of new snow in the Cataract Creek parking lot today, and the grader was on the 940 moving off 2"-3" of snow that had blown onto the road. While driving in, it looked as if there was snow to the south/west, so I expect the more western-southern trails got a bit more.

I was there to pull the axle off my 2-place sled trailer that broke down two weekends ago and had to be left. It seems that there are some class "A" A-holes that drive to there, as someone had broken my ball lock off - for what reason I do not know as the trailer was missing a wheel/tire and wheel hub. Further, they had drilled into the receiver to remove the ball that had broken off the locking device and become stuck in the receiver - further damaging the receiver. This after some other people (?) burnt the unloading dock there at least three weeks ago. What is going on with peoples' thinking?

fshog

Reaction score
That's just sad. Not sure what people are thinking when this happens......I just don't understand!

I am most likely heading to Cataract on Sun to ride to see how much now is out there.

eltigre

Reaction score
Can I ask where this is at Cataract? Is this the playground I've heard about? Been out there a dozen times and have never found anything like this, looks fun!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you mean? Did you mean to "reply with quote" to another post?
Can I ask where this is at Cataract? Is this the playground I've heard about? Been out there a dozen times and have never found anything like this, looks fun!

eltigre

Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the pictures Nitrbkr had posted. Thought it might be at Catarct. Buddy of mine and I where out looking for this playground I'd heard about but couldn't find it. We drove down the 940 past Wilkinson Summit turn off about 20k came to a small open area but nothing to write home about. Bought a new sled but not enough time now to head out to far so figured I'd give it a little break in close to home. Can't seem to find these open meadows in Cataract that I see in some of these pictures or You Tube videos. Thx for your reply:)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the pictures Nitrbkr had posted. Thought it might be at Catarct. Buddy of mine and I where out looking for this playground I'd heard about but couldn't find it. We drove down the 940 past Wilkinson Summit turn off about 20k came to a small open area but nothing to write home about. Bought a new sled but not enough time now to head out to far so figured I'd give it a little break in close to home. Can't seem to find these open meadows in Cataract that I see in some of these pictures or You Tube videos. Thx for your reply:)
Got to go over Fording to get to that area.

eltigre

Reaction score
Thx SnoPro. Know anything about this playground? Also is it ok for us to ride down the 940? Just want to find a little pow to test the 8000, the trails are pretty rutted out.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pics came from Fording on Tuesday. If you haven't been there before you will need to go with someone to find out how to get there. I have been over there many of times and as usual Tuesday was a complete blizzard up top at the pass, even tho the sun was shining on either side.
As you can see in previous posts, people think they are there, but they are actually playing in the no no zone of the park.
It's a dirty trip over but "sometimes" you get spoiled by the snow gods. As a buddy and I definitely did a couple days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom