Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
Hey guys... I have a friend heading down to Canmore for Christmas, and asked me where the closest place to trail ride in the area. I'm not familiar with the area at all. Could ya help a guy out and steer him in the right direction. I told him he should join Snow and Mud, he would learn alot. Thanks in advance.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You raise a good point, and one we were questioning ourselves. It is worth the little extra lumber and time to put up the second railing, just for safety sake. This is by no means meant to be a ramp for people, but will probably be used by some as this, hence the reason we installed the first railing. There is also a plan to install SuperGlides II Pro - courtesy of the people from SuperClamp - for grip and a longer lifespan for the ramp too.
Looks good. I'm just wondering if it should have a railing on the other side as well. You know how some people have a tough time staying on a narrow bridge?:eek: Also kids will likely be driving across it as well and I'd hate to hear of someone falling off.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best "trail ride", closet to Canmore, would be the Powderface Trail (see post #118 below). Next best "trail riding" area would be Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area, west of Longview. That being said, the Olds Snowmobile Club members may disagree with me. I see on the provincial ASA map that there are trails West of Sundre, I have just never been to them. I WOULD NOT recommend the trails at Ghost/Waiprious area, they are traveled on by ATV's, side-by-sides, and big wheeled trucks, and are not in good shape. Best non-trail riding - mountain riding that is - would be Golden, B.C.
Hey guys... I have a friend heading down to Canmore for Christmas, and asked me where the closest place to trail ride in the area. I'm not familiar with the area at all. Could ya help a guy out and steer him in the right direction. I told him he should join Snow and Mud, he would learn alot. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, for information for all, this is the best map of the open trails I have available:

Attachments

• 2013 12 11 CCSA Trails to Dec 10 2013.jpg
    2013 12 11 CCSA Trails to Dec 10 2013.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 2013 12 10 CCSA Trails to Dec 10 2013.jpg
    2013 12 10 CCSA Trails to Dec 10 2013.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 282

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, for information for all, this is the best map of the open trails I have available:

Is this XXXX a challenge or recommendation of don`t even try? Good work on the ramp. Superglides good idea. How wide is ramp? When complete how many Km?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The black "X" represent washouts/bridges out with "canyons" (vertical creek banks of depth varying 8 - 12 feet deep). I am just trying to help out fellow sledders so they are not disappointed when they take a trail and run up to these "impassable" locations.

The blue "X" means "I am not sure if this qualifies as a black "X" yet, as not enough investigation has happened to determine if there is a route through the washout".

The ramp is 46 1/4 inches wide, which I hope is wide enough for all ski widths of all users.

Not sure what you mean by "when complete how many Km?" - do you mean the distance of the total system? (220kms+), distance of navigable trails? (?), or something else?

Is this XXXX a challenge or recommendation of don`t even try? Good work on the ramp. Superglides good idea. How wide is ramp? When complete how many Km?

SSHuskies

Reaction score
Website
www.sskennels.ca
Hey fella's. Has anyone been too and down the lost creek logging road heading south for any considerable distance? I am one of the dog mushers who trains huskies from Cataract staging area and we typically train on that road mostly. Could anyone tell me if it is accessible? I am in dire needs of training mileage before our first race in Oregon in a month. Thanks in advance.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been on the road from the Lost Creek Road gate at Hwy 940, through to the washed out Cataract Creek bridge, and south to where the road has a "spur" to the junction of Oyster Excursion Trail and Fallers Trail. The trapper has istalled a small plywood and 4x4 wood bridge just down the road from the gate, as there is a small washout crossing the road. Beware, it is a right hand turn across this bridge and then an immediate left, as you are against the hillside. There is a small landslide that almost crosses the road just south of Cataract Creek, but is wide enough to get a snowmobile passed before the slope drops steeply. I expect it is good all the way south from this "spur" on the main road to out of the snowmobile area, as I have looked at it from the "crossover trail" on my way to Oyster Excursion Trail and again from Pasque Trail north and it appears "good". (See map below)

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail Safety and Maintenance Day Report for Sunday, December 15

Attendees: (I trust I get the following listed in the correct identifier)

Scott, Roman, Dan - CSC Club members
Mike, Vern, Stephan, Derek, John, Ryan, Mark - snowmobiling enthusiasts (and future club members?)

Etherington Provincial Recreation Area (P.R.A.) - the parking lot (usual drop off area)

- Main gate just off the Forestry Truck Road (Hwy 940/F.T.R.) is closed due to un-repairable road damage that occurred during the flood
- Users are allowed to park on the access road to the gate, PLEASE DO NOT PARK TRAILERS HERE, NOT MUCH ROOM, AND NO TURNAROUND!
- fence boards have been removed to the left of the gate to allow for snowmobile travel from unloaded truck deck, down through ditch, and back onto road on the other side - ONLY! NO QUADS, Side-by-sides, trucks, or motorcycles allowed. NO WHEELED VEHICLE ALLOWED.
- travel through the P.R.A. as close as possible to the road/parking lot/trail entrance - NO FREERIDING THROUGH THE AREA or the access road will be blocked off at the F.T.R.!
- no current access south onto the Valley Bottom Trail on the historical trail through the campground
- a plan is being worked on to provide an approved temporary trail to access the Valley Bottom Trail – yet to be completed.
- a sign is to be installed for public information purposes, as soon as approval and production can be completed - DONE

"Lost Creek Road gate" drop-off/turnaround

- Please be conscientious how you park here as it is not a large area
- park close to the edges of the area/grader blading, and leave the middle to "fill-in"
- leave enough room to access the drop-off for one vehicle with trailer to pass all the way through and back on the F.T.R.
- Do not use the Lost Creek Road to access the Cataract Creek valley, this is only for the trapper in the valley, and where the dog mushers stage and access the valley from.
- immediately upon disembarking from the parking area, get on the Valley Bottom Trail to the south, as it has been repaired, where you see the blaze orange sign.

Cataract Creek P.R.A. Campground and day-use area/parking lot

- A ramp was constructed behind the day shelter on Wednesday, December 11, for snowmobile use. Please use this ramp to access Cataract Creek Trail.
- This is to be used as the main drop-off area for snowmobiling for this winter. We are hopeful that the Etherington P.R.A. parking lot will be available next winter.

THE TRAILS (listed from North to South)

Etherington Creek Trail:
-have information that it is passable, only between the Etherington Creek parking lot and the junction of Etherington-Raspberry Pass-Baril Loop Trails junction

Baril Loop Trail:
-have information that it is passable, only between Etherington Creek Trail and Baril Creek Trail

Baril Creek Trail:
- have information that it is passable to the "near-vertical" rock wall climb - NO NEW OR NOVICE SNOWMOBILERS!!! This trail looks to start easy, but is for very seasoned/expert/double black diamond snowmobilers only!

Raspberry Pass Trial:
- Passable from Etherington Trail to Cataract Creek Trail as of Dec. 1, 2013
- New, temporary trail must be fully flagged yet, but maintenance participants discovered a temporary trail that avoids the heavily damaged trail at the north end.

Upper Raspberry Pass Trail:
- Cleared and open as of Dec. 1, 2013

Loggers' Trail:
- no information available

Valley Bottom Trail:
- a temporary trail has been constructed around/uphill of the washout at the south end, just before the connection to the Cataract Creek Trail
- "caution" tape and surveyor's tape has been placed across the trail to direct people around the washout to the temporary trail - and flagged.
- has major damage with a 35 foot washout at the north end, just before the Etherington Campground Trail
- this may require substantial reconstruction with heavy equipment and possibly a bridge, if not a complete re-route

Cataract Creek Trail:
- This trail is now accessible from the Cataract Creek P.R.A. day use area/parking lot.
- All Bridges accessing the "south" trails from the Cataract creek valley off of this trail are washed out, but there are two crossing points over the frozen creek, currently
- there is one bridge left at the very west end of the trail which allows one to reach the Cataract Loop Trail
- There are three washouts west of the Valley Bottom Trail that are still passable on the Cataract Creek Trail
- A fourth washout, near the turnoff north to Raspberry Pass Trail/south to Cummings Creek Trail has a temporary trail down and through a shallow washout and up beside the existing trail
- this temporary trail will be used until the washout - 15 feet wide - has a bridge built over it this next year (hopefully)

Cataract Loop Trail:
- the "straight" portion of this trail has not been travelled, but expectations are that, from clearing done last year, the trail will be mostly open and in good condition

Raspberry Pass Trail Lower:
- This trail is in very good shape until you are almost at where it joins the Etherington Creek Trail, where there is major damage, and a temporary trail has been found to join into Etherington Creek Trail
- Flagging of this new temporary trail will be done ASAP

Raspberry Pass Trail Upper:
- was cleared and found to be in good shape, Dec. 1, 2013

Wilkinson Summit Trail:
- currently the only trail leading out of Cataract Creek day use parking lot, and ride-able after the snow we have just had
- BEWARE OF THE TWO "DIPS" IN THE ROAD, THEY ARE NOW BETTER SIGNED by Albert Transport, but be conscious of them while on this trail
- when you leave the trail (that is the Forestry Truck Road) and try and access Pasque Trail, at the south end of the CCSA traversing east west, the bridges over Wilkinson Creek (100 foot span now) and one further on across a tributary (30 foot span) are both "out"/destroyed, currently no access to Pasque Trail here.
- the access gate across the trail just off of the F.T.R. has been closed with a twig from a tree, but should be signed as a closed trail and locked

Cummings Creek Trail:
- is in very good shape through to where the crossover trail is to Skyline, Oyster Excursion, and Fallers Trails
- about half way down the trail further, south of the crossover trail, there is a washout that is impassible - DO NOT ENTER, FRUSTRATION WILL ENSUE! You may access this part of Cummings Creek Trail from Pasque Trail but only proceed half way north toward the "crossover" trail, where the major, impassable washout has occurred.

Fallers Trail:
- We began checking this trail from the south end. It is in good condition, but requires signage. This is my way of saying we got lost / turned around and did not get all the way through.
Skyline Trail:
- This trail is open and cleared

Oyster Excursion Trail:
- This trail is open and cleared
- A large washout in the northern section was able to be gotten through and the trail has had to be re-routed as most of the old trail is washed away. Be careful and go slowly while going through this washout

Pasque Trial:
- as mentioned previously, the two bridges that access this trail off of Wilkinson Summit Trail are out, with one being completely un-crossable
- You may access this trail from Skyline or Oyster Excursion Trail, and go as far east as the washed out bridge near Wilkinson Summit Trail
- you may access Cummings Creek Trail, at its’ southern most point, from Pasque Trail, but only proceed half way along toward the "crossover" trail, where the major, impassable washout has occurred.

Organizer
Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee
Calgary Snowmobile Club

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody been over Fording Pass and willing to post pictures? I am curious what it is looking like this year.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been over... It took cutting another 6-7 logs from the point we made it too last time.

Looks the same over there as every year, rocky and windy!! One nasty washout just paast the 'T' intersection, be careful. Another HUGE washout in the very back, on a flat light kinda day it could be real nasty, must be 20-30ft deep and 20ft wide.

Snow was decent, good base starting. Needed another dump as we wrecked all the fresh that was there pretty good!!

One creek is pretty sketchy, only gonna get worse through the winter as it gets more ocey and more vertical on the banks...

I'll see if I can dig up some pics...

jhard

Reaction score
I was over to fording last Saturday and the trail is pretty rough in places and there is no snow in some places but the snow in the bowls in the trees was pretty good made new lines all day still have to be carful as I nailed a big rock and bent a A arm not in the trees but futher over in the open area

Top Bottom