Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

bennito

Reaction score
Man it's tough finding someone to ride with during the week sometimes

I would head out there tomorrow if your still looking? don't care about the snow(hittin the gas is always better than thinking about hittin the gas) PM or text me if you are interested 403.464.9806
Cheers Benny

Mattjames

Reaction score
Thinking if heading up there for the day on the 26 or 27, never been, if there's anyone headed up and wouldn't mind a tag along, let me know. Just don't know the area at all, plus riding alone isn't all that much fun.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the radar for the last two days and its been snowing out quite a bit. I think i'm going to go on saturday and would appreciate an update if anyone heads out before then.

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.....
Could someone lert me know on average how late in the year you can ride out here?
Thanks

wheelin4fun

Reaction score
Anyone been out there in the past couple days? Was looking to just do some trail riding sunday but was unsure of the conditions after this warm spell in calgary if it will still be good out there or not.

Rideordie

Reaction score
Anyone been in recently. Wondering what the snow might be like. Have never been into this area and would like to check it out!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a few GoPro clips from my last trip over Fording. Fording Jan 2013 - YouTube

CYPRESS HILL WOOT!!!!Goes tight with your video too images.jpg

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are trail riding, a group of us did some trail maintenance yesterday. The snow is better (but not "deep" powder) the further south and west of the Etherington parking lot - as well as at higher elevations, which is usual. The trails at the valley bottom from both parking lots do see sketchy/rough spots, but does get better.

Anyone been in recently. Wondering what the snow might be like. Have never been into this area and would like to check it out!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please see post # 256

Anyone been out there in the past couple days? Was looking to just do some trail riding sunday but was unsure of the conditions after this warm spell in calgary if it will still be good out there or not.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the weather, and how much sketchy snow/trail conditions you want to put up with on your sled. IF there are late season dumps, the trails may be in good shape, but leaving the parking lots may be an issue. Keep watching this thread and there will be trial posts until we can not be out there any more.

Hello Everyone.....
Could someone lert me know on average how late in the year you can ride out here?
Thanks

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick snapshot of the trail safety check and maintenance completed on Sunday, January 20. Three members of the Grooming Society spent a collective 21 hours transversing approximately 65 kms.

Downed large logs were removed from Raspberry Pass Trail (valley bottom), Skyline Trial, and Oyster Excursion Trail (south end) which straightened and/or widened the trail to full width. Low leaning trees across the trails and those "crowding" the trails causing trail narrowing were attended to on Baril Loop Trail, Raspberry Pass Trail, Cummings Creek Trail (only to -->), Skyline Trail, Pasque Trail (only to -->), and Oyster Exqursion Trail. The days ride ended with the traveling north to Fallers Trail, Catarack Creek Trail (west of <--), and Etherington Trail. Signage was generally found to be good, with a few notes to make trails more clearly marked for first timers, turns, and brush cut back/repaint.

If anyone knows of an area or areas of the trail system that require attention, please let me know. We will be out soon again to check further trails.

Last edited:

Assaulted

Reaction score
Looking for someone to ride with on Saturday Jan 26 - have not ridden the area before...

Other areas near Calgary to ride?

Top Bottom