Canadians with EVs drive more than ICE drivers

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well probably longer if you don't have the supercharger? am i wrong?

You start at 100%. You stop at white court and charge for 10-15min. Stop again in Edmonton for 10-15min. Total charge time 30min.

For winter I’d guess about 20min for one stop and 25 for another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You start at 100%. You stop at white court and charge for 10-15min. Stop again in Edmonton for 10-15min. Total charge time 30min.

For winter I’d guess about 20min for one stop and 25 for another.

u doing tru-d math again? you claimed 25 min stop in summer, 45 min stop in winter! so which is it?
u have to fill to start, again white cout, then GP thats 3 fills! u drive around GP, do work ? u may need to fill up again in GP before you leave, fill up again in Whitecourt and fill up at home base? possibly another 3 fills but 2 for sure! you have already spent almost as much time filling up as travelling!

me i fill up at base, drive to GP, may need to fill up in GP due to work etc, drive all the way back to home base. that is reality math bud!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven’t and won’t. My lifestyle doesn’t match the hype. I don’t have the mega $$$ to drive from charger to charger in an EV let alone the mega $$$ for maintenance.

Agreed, i couldn’t just the cost of them when I looked.
I will stick to my costly dirty Diesel pickup, my gas guzzling V8, and still be able to enjoy towing toys and my 38Ft travel trailer over Rodger’s Pass, when heading to my favourite vacation spot in the Okanagan.

This EV’s and carbon mandate will hurt industry more than anything.
If individuals want to buy a EV I say giver, they have their place, but keep others out of it. I have no interest in owning a full EV at all.

I still think a Diesel hybrid similar to the ford powerboost would be an amazing tow vehicle.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EV's niche are city driving, go to work, get groceries etc, average KM's on a charge +/- 300-350 km, summer, much less winter. even less if heater/defrost is used? ! any extended trips require extensive planning around charging stns, and the supercharger 's are few and far between. so far there is no indication of how long a home charge takes, and i can only assume very few private citizens have smart chargers. not much sense in even driving in winter, mileage is less, even less with defrost,heater on. lets say 200-275 km max distance travelled, before desperate search for charger, in my opinion definitely not practical in winter, just barely in summer, it does get you green energy points, got that going for it?

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha ha! easy math, before you start takes 45 minutes to charge, 300km distance another charge 45 min., at the end of trip another 45minutes = 2.25hrs. then another 90 minutes return 45 mins half way, another 45 minutes when you get back?

unless u are trying to tell me you, charge for 45 minutes initially, gets u 600km on one charge?

I have driven back and forth to Revelstoke from my farm for about 5 years. Almost always in the winter. It’s 600km and my total time spent charging is 35-45minutes. I don’t know what else to say at this point.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have driven back and forth to Revelstoke from my farm for about 5 years. Almost always in the winter. It’s 600km and my total time spent charging is 35-45minutes. I don’t know what else to say at this point.

That's leaving home fully charged? What percentage do you have left when you get home?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's leaving home fully charged? What percentage do you have left when you get home?

Yeah. When I get home usually 10-15%. The navigation tells you an estimate of how much energy you’ll use based on weather and elevation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven’t and won’t. My lifestyle doesn’t match the hype. I don’t have the mega $$$ to drive from charger to charger in an EV let alone the mega $$$ for maintenance.
Mega money for maintenance? Washer fluid isn't that expensive.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s the price of a new set of batteries and possibly new tires.
Do most EV’s get 100,000km on a set of tires?

Battery warranty is 192,000km or 8 years. There’s a guy selling a 2018 model 3 with 675,000km on it and he replaced the battery at 615,000km. Not because it failed but because the capacity dropped to 60%.

No you will not get 100,000km on a set of tires. Is that normally what you get?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Battery warranty is 192,000km or 8 years. There’s a guy selling a 2018 model 3 with 675,000km on it and he replaced the battery at 615,000km. Not because it failed but because the capacity dropped to 60%.

Regarding tires. Yes, no problem with that distance. I can also get 150,000+ on brakes.
Does that dude selling the 2018 model 3 do much winter driving? Seems the cold is harder on the batteries.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regarding tires. Yes, no problem with that distance. I can also get 150,000+ on brakes.
Does that dude selling the 2018 model 3 do much winter driving? Seems the cold is harder on the batteries.

Wow you must have a light foot. EV definitely consume tires harder. That guy was driving 500+km per day in Ontario as a courier so I would guess he did lots of winter driving.

Brakes on an EV should last 500,000km easily. You should look at them every year and lube them if you’re in the salt.

Cold temps don’t really hurt the longevity of your battery. Heat will kill a battery more so than cold. You probably wouldn’t want to leave it at 0% in -45 though.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats pretty cool whats a battery replacement cost? Its crazy that he would do that at that kind of mileage on chassis but obviously he has some faith in it still

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool whats a battery replacement cost? Its crazy that he would do that at that kind of mileage on chassis but obviously he has some faith in it still

I’m not sure but last year a guy at the collision shop told me a new battery for a standard range model 3 was $12k.

Top Bottom