Canadians with EVs drive more than ICE drivers

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so in reality you can't even drive to Calgary one way? EV's are fine for driving in the city, but in reality rather useless otherwise?

and lets say to do this trip to GP from red deer, you have to wait 45min to charge to start, 45 min half way , another 45 minutes when you arrive, another 45 min, half way and anther possible 45 minutes as a just in case stop, 3hrs to twiddle your thumbs waiting, on a good day! ya electric is not the way eh?

I’m saying that charging would add 25min to 45min to the trip assuming you do it in an ICE vehicle without stopping. Where are you getting 3 hours from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BS numbers provided by city slickers. No way would a EV work for my lifestyle and I don’t want to try to get it to work for my lifestyle.

I know a realtor In Calgary who bought a tesla a couple of years ago, he thought he was saving a pile of money with all of the driving was doing, he sold it and went back to a Gas engine.

people can talk themselves into almost everything. especially after getting mauled over by a slick sales pitch? battery life, setting your route by finding charging stations sure makes a lot of sense!
in reality jhurkot can't make it to GP from to red deer! , can't even take the chance? these superchargers are not on every street corner, won't be any celebration when the charge runs out? i also wonder if the efficiency of the batteries diminishes as time goes on? $40-50 thou for a replacement battery, even if you can get one will be interesting!
I'll stick to the F150 for a while as EV won't work for me!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m saying that charging would add 25min to 45min to the trip assuming you do it in an ICE vehicle without stopping. Where are you getting 3 hours from?

you said you needed to charge half way 45 minutes ,return, so that is 4 times at 3 hrs, or 1 way 3 times start, half way, arrival! 2.25 hrs.
f150 fill up time is included. who got time for that 6.5 hrs travel, + another 2.5 hrs charging on a quick charger? that is not working? easily a 9hr day just to get there! not happening! you could take a plane, but now it gets expensive?
i can agree that around town, maybe 50 -75 km outside of town would be an Ev's niche! but in that case a smart care may be better still?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not willingly! $$$$ is the draw? , spent 3yrs up there late 70's. been there more times than i can count since.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if that was the last place on earth to make money! Lol

My sister moved up there for her husbands job, havent seen her in years. She likes it supposidly..

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better question is why someone would want to go to GP. 🤣

Should probably put up a sign on HWY 43, and in the GP airport. It could say something like "Grande Prairie is awful, turn around and go home now, before it's too late".

Might keep some of the Riff-Raff and Non-Canadian welfare seekers out of town.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should probably put up a sign on HWY 43, and in the GP airport. It could say something like "Grande Prairie is awful, turn around and go home now, before it's too late".

Might keep some of the Riff-Raff and Non-Canadian welfare seekers out of town.

Id agree with you except I tell those exact people how great it is haha JK Ive thought about handing out bus tickets to Ottawa though for real...

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id agree with you except I tell those exact people how great it is haha JK Ive thought about handing out bus tickets to Ottawa though for real...

That's been done before here too, bus tickets were being handed out to any homeless person "that wasn't from here" to "get home" or to wherever they wanted to go.

Was all fun and games until Ft St. John pulled the same stunt, except they only bought bus tickets to Grande Prairie, cheap fawkers, at least they could have shipped them to Vancouver or something.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's been done before here too, bus tickets were being handed out to any homeless person "that wasn't from here" to "get home" or to wherever they wanted to go.

Was all fun and games until Ft St. John pulled the same stunt, except they only bought bus tickets to Grande Prairie, cheap fawkers, at least they could have shipped them to Vancouver or something.

I think the big cities are doing it to us as well.

Even Revelstoke has these bums hanging around now...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you said you needed to charge half way 45 minutes ,return, so that is 4 times at 3 hrs, or 1 way 3 times start, half way, arrival! 2.25 hrs.
f150 fill up time is included. who got time for that 6.5 hrs travel, + another 2.5 hrs charging on a quick charger? that is not working? easily a 9hr day just to get there! not happening! you could take a plane, but now it gets expensive?
i can agree that around town, maybe 50 -75 km outside of town would be an Ev's niche! but in that case a smart care may be better still?

6 hours driving time. 45min charging time. I have no idea where you are getting 9 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6 hours driving time. 45min charging time. I have no idea where you are getting 9 hours.

ha ha! easy math, before you start takes 45 minutes to charge, 300km distance another charge 45 min., at the end of trip another 45minutes = 2.25hrs. then another 90 minutes return 45 mins half way, another 45 minutes when you get back?

unless u are trying to tell me you, charge for 45 minutes initially, gets u 600km on one charge?

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha ha! easy math, before you start takes 45 minutes charge, 300km distance another charge 45 min., at the end of trip another 45minutes = 2.25hrs. then another 90 minutes to return.

You think there’s 45min of charging at the start?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
charging time from your numbers winter charging?

well it needs to be charged to start. does it not (45min)? needs to be charged at roughly 300 km(45mins), needs to be charged when you get to 600km (45min), that adds up to 2hrs 25 minutes right? not including rest stops, grub intake, waiting for super charge to be free, what if it's down or doesn't exist? what's your best guess? also requires you to fill up 45mins at 300km on return, and another 45 min fill up when you get back (Red Deer)? which is 3 hrs 45 minutes, not 3hrs(my mistake), so almost an extra 4 hrs? slow boat from China anyone!

not including time you are waiting to access a charger or heaven forbid charger may not be working, as we don't live in a perfect world.? actual driving time should be the same, 6hrs -8hrs winter driving time + your 4hr charging time makes a long expensive day? .

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well probably longer if you don't have the supercharger? am i wrong?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a guy wants to drive 24 hours a day big old diesel with a 500 gallon tank is the way to go.
used to run a 400lt tank back a few years, fill up once a week, now it would be once every 2 to 3 weeks. don't do the long trips anymore!

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread driven an electric vehicle?

Yes I have driven the Ford Lightening and Tesla Model S . They were a riot to drive, power was amazing . The math doesn't work for me personally though .

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have driven the Ford Lightening and Tesla Model S . They were a riot to drive, power was amazing . The math doesn't work for me personally though .

That’s fair. Those are both pretty expensive models.

Top Bottom