Can anyone tell me what the fine is for no Registration on ATV's in Alberta?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are getting close to making a valid point for registration there will be an increase in the price with the extra funds going towards offload trail construction and maintience and staging area construction
the only real reason now is for accountability if someone's sees something illegal they can get your plate number and report you

Landrew

Reaction score
What is the fine for no insurance on an off-highway machine, is there a set amount ? Last I saw it was $287 is that still correct ?

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the fine for no insurance on an off-highway machine, is there a set amount ? Last I saw it was $287 is that still correct ?
Not sure on off highway but it's $2875 or 45 days in jail for a on highway, it's probably a little less but I bet not much because of liability reasons.

Landrew

Reaction score
That does seem a little low.

We've gone to BC to ride and I believe we don't need anything to be legal there. Quite surprising given the parties in power and the plentiful terrain and numbers of machines they could cash in on.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I see it said:
register and insure their boats every year too[/B].

Transport Canada.....
What is a Pleasure Craft Licence? A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.
The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have . There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

• are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
  • in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.
Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

As far as insurance .....
I personally hate paying insurance of any kind, it’s amoney grab ..... but have one accident boat, car, truck or quad and get sued andyou will thank your uncle Johnny for insisting you had insurance....

There’s the answer, get rid of the blood sucking, scumbag..... Lawyers and we wouldn’t need as much insurance....

Landrew

Reaction score
"" Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years. ""

Now this would be great for ATV's and bikes, snowmobiles.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have been stopped 3 times on my quad on crown land by RCMP and fish and feathers..Looking for plates and ins...So if i didnt have plates..Thats roughly$600 in fines...i hate paying for registration..but what do ya do?...bend over and take it up the tailpipe i guess,,
,It would be nice to have the money go back to building bridges,trail maint. etc. but it wont or doesnt...
So it just gets filtered into someones pocket

Landrew

Reaction score
My problem is we have a large family and I have amassed (through Kijiji) an equal number of decent machines. I have the 2 adult ones insured and registered etc. If we want to take all of them for one day to the mountains I have to spend at least $800 to insure and plate 5 more machines. Thats crazy for 1 or 2 days of riding. So we are planning on taking our business to BC every summer.

We dont have a chinese Gio atv any more (moved on to used Japanese ATV's for barely more $) but I once insured and registered that thing for a trip and let me tell you spending over $150 per year for a machine worth the same amount just doesn't seem corect. True it could still run into and hurt someone. Then again my mountain bike can hurt someone too, so can roller blades and a shopping cart. They dont have motors but they are a probable liability with a bad driver behind them.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Ya i understand..and why can a bicycle drive down a hi wayor road.gravel or paved with no plates or insurance or lights or dick all but a quad can't?
My problem is we have a large family and I have amassed (through Kijiji) an equal number of decent machines. I have the 2 adult ones insured and registered etc. If we want to take all of them for one day to the mountains I have to spend at least $800 to insure and plate 5 more machines. Thats crazy for 1 or 2 days of riding. So we are planning on taking our business to BC every summer.

We dont have a chinese Gio atv any more (moved on to used Japanese ATV's for barely more $) but I once insured and registered that thing for a trip and let me tell you spending over $150 per year for a machine worth the same amount just doesn't seem corect. True it could still run into and hurt someone. Then again my mountain bike can hurt someone too, so can roller blades and a shopping cart. They dont have motors but they are a probable liability with a bad driver behind them.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pwrsonally like the peace of mind that inaurance offera me. It's also a little less painful when your machine is stolen or written off. Granted, I might be singing a different tune if I had 5 or 6 machines.

As for registration, it's total BS since that money doesn't benefit us in any way. Sheet, I woulsn't be surpriaed if some of that money is even used to shut us down.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk 2

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I feel your pain i got five machines, i think there should be a deal on insurance for sleds/quads as i can't be ridding both at the same time. I pay over 2K a year for insurance on my toys and it sucks that would be another trip a year easy.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a recent trip to calling with my bike, trailer & boat (buddy pulled boat) i had to have, 1) drivers lic, 2) vehicreg, 3) vehic insurance, 4)trailer reg(camper), 5) boat trailer reg, 6) boat reg, 7) boaters op card, 8) dirtbike reg, 9) dirtbike ins, and we were fishing so, 10) fishing lic, 11) win card to GET the fishing lic. you can't see me but i am waiving my white flag....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I insure everything. For the last 7 year's I haven't re registered the quads or doo's.

Had 2 of each. Used to switch the plates back and forth between and save a few bucks rather than having 4 plates.

Haven't been checked for 10 years till this year. Never got a ticket and was two times this year now.

So I figure even if I got a 250 a year its pretty close to what it costs.

Haven't in at least 10 years and saved $$$

sent from my htc

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow guys just follow the rules "be prepared to pay if u want to play", the more of us breaking rules & running around without is just a little bit more ammunition for those that want to shut down our sport altogether .
A better use of time would be asking your MP to use the $$$$$ we pay for registration for trail building & maintaince !

Top Bottom