BUYING U.S.A INFO PLEASE

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had and have seen people asking about buying Vehicles , R.V' s, Sleds , Quads, you name it.......if you have info on the how to's or phone numbers let's get it all on 1 post so it's easier. Hopefully soon enough we can have CANADA make all the proper adjustments so we can buy CANADIAN and support ourselves alittle more since alot of our products are sent over and then we OVERPAY for them as it is......i've read posts on how to's but they are all scattered...........Let's git on one area............For those who have already poisted here and there . Thanks for doing it once again......Saves searching. :)

.08rider

Reaction score
It is very easy, first find a dealer who has done it before. Your part is very easy.1 make the deal.2 send paperwork to your border crossing 72 hours before you intend to cross , including purchase price, recall letter, bill of sale,
3 get to border and wait.4 pay RIV there or later.5 pay GST and drive home.6 get out of country inspection once the RIV sends you form two, 7 out of province inspection.8 drive new vehicle

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just add - if you are going to drive the vehicle back - you have to get a temporary permit to cover you from the US border home. The US 30 day permit that most dealers will supply is NOT valid in Canada -$460 in tickets makes me an expert there!

I would also just add that depending on the vehicle you will have to do the required updates to satisfy the RIV requirements eg daytime running lights etc.

Rider38

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AND WHATEVER YOU DO NOT LIE ABOUT THE PRICE OR SHOW A FALSE BILL OF SALE THEY HAVE SEEN EVERYTHING AND YOU WILL BE IN DEEP CACA

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just found a sweet quad down in the states, does anyhone know if you have to pay GST on a used vehicle that you buy privatly? Also anyone know a good shipping company top get the thing up here. Its in Savannah, Gerorgia. Ireally like this quad and the owner told me to make him an offer as he is gettin out of the sport. Also, would a shipping company deal with the rest of the paper work???

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just add - if you are going to drive the vehicle back - you have to get a temporary permit to cover you from the US border home. The US 30 day permit that most dealers will supply is NOT valid in Canada -$460 in tickets makes me an expert there!

I would also just add that depending on the vehicle you will have to do the required updates to satisfy the RIV requirements eg daytime running lights etc.

You are definately the expert. hehe

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AND WHATEVER YOU DO NOT LIE ABOUT THE PRICE OR SHOW A FALSE BILL OF SALE THEY HAVE SEEN EVERYTHING AND YOU WILL BE IN DEEP CACA

Yea, a guy did that here not to long ago, and then had the balls to complain about the border gaurds that caught him...

Everything you need to know is right in the link below. Any questions you have, call them and they will answer them. They were very good to deal with and I had no issues whatsoever importing 3 vehicles.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just do us dealers one favour, just one!!!
I admit, as my own opinion, not the dealer or the manufacture i work with that sometimes it is a better deal. but please do not comapre a used truck to a new one. and make sure that you know what your doing, and give your local a dealer a shot. he might be able to also get his used car dep't to do all the work for you for a minimal charge, or might know of one already in the country.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I admit, as my own opinion, not the dealer or the manufacture i work with that sometimes it is a better deal. but please do not comapre a used truck to a new one. and make sure that you know what your doing, and give your local a dealer a shot. he might be able to also get his used car dep't to do all the work for you for a minimal charge, or might know of one already in the country.

I have to agree here. I bought my 07 Kawi for $500 more than I could get it from the States. By the time I have everything done I would of saved $200 tops and I was not going to drive down there to pick it up for $200. And $200 is peanuts when you need something serviced.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the RIV and CBSA website for information on inadmissable vehicles and rules. Almost all 2008 SUV's and Trucks (cars I am not sure) must have a factory installed anti-theft system otherwise they won't let you in. Alot of people found this out the hard way.

There is a complete list of what you can and cannot bring in on the CBSA website. Just serach it.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought an Apex into Canada last night and the border guy wanted to charge me extra duty for it as it was built in Japan! That doesn't apply to sleds I told him and he said he was 99.9% sure it did, but when I suggested we look it up on the RIV site he humored me - that's right I said to him no duty! Makes me wonder how many yamahas they have charged duty on in addition to the gst. Know your stuff - it will save you money.

Apex for sale if anyone wants.

CatRider

Reaction score

I respect your request but I think we have given local dealers enough chances and that is why people are shopping across the border. Consumers are realizing that we have been screwed with Canadian dollar MSRPs. This topic is very broad when you look and new and used vehicles and toys. The strength of our loonie has made US purchases extremely attractive. The used toys and vehicles there are also a very good value.

One thing to consider as a factor in BRP not reducing the prices for Canadians to close the gap between the CDN$ and US$ MSRPs is that they are selling the machines in the US at a lower MSRP and bring the US$ to the bank at par rather than benefiting from a 20% exchange difference. That is hurting their profits. If they lowered the CDN$ MSRP to the US$ prices that would be another hit for them. They have to make their money somehow and they know that we will sit here like sheep and pay it.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just brought an Apex into Canada last night and the border guy wanted to charge me extra duty for it as it was built in Japan! That doesn't apply to sleds I told him and he said he was 99.9% sure it did, but when I suggested we look it up on the RIV site he humored me - that's right I said to him no duty! Makes me wonder how many yamahas they have charged duty on in addition to the gst. Know your stuff - it will save you money.

Apex for sale if anyone wants.

Be carefull about selling the apex so soon. From what I understood is no duty had to be paid if brought in for personal use, but if you sold it within a year then duty had to be paid on it if the vehical was not made in North America...

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not just BRP who aren't lowering the price in Canada. You can buy a new Rhino in the US for $3400.00 less than Canada. That's definitely worth the trip to pick it up.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be carefull about selling the apex so soon. From what I understood is no duty had to be paid if brought in for personal use, but if you sold it within a year then duty had to be paid on it if the vehical was not made in North America...

I hadn't heard that and did not see that on RIV site - why do they charge duty on yamaha atvs and not sleds???

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that and did not see that on RIV site - why do they charge duty on yamaha atvs and not sleds???

Not sure. I actually emailed them today to ask about my Honda Motorcycle. I was told by RIV and Customs that anything not made in North America had to be registered for a year to the person importing the vehicle or duty would have to be paid. If the vehicle is being imported for personal use then no duty would have to be paid unless sold within a year. When I get a response I will post it.

Top Bottom