Buying a street bike?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have recently gotten my mitts on a dirtbike, and after having as much fun as it is, I have decided I need a street bike. Went and did my learner's written test, and now I'm looking for a bike.

I have rode lots of dirtbike before, when I was a younger dude, but just this summer aquired the one I have currently. Have little to no road experience. Lots of bicycle experience, so have been on two wheels forever, but less time with a motor.

My boss, an avid harley dude tells me I would be fine on most anything, but everything else I hear tells me to start on something smaller, both for the light weight and the lack of power, so a guy doesn't encounter trouble. I'm not interested in a crotch rocket, they have too much potential for too much fun, resulting in either tickets or... other problems.

So I'm thinkin cruiser or dual sport. Looking to buy used, but wondering, Should I be starting out on something older and smaller (Ie; 86 honda 500) or would I be okay going up to a newer sportster 883 or 1200? I'm thinking the difference in insurance costs may just steer me that way regardless, that and the fear of dropping it at some point ( which I have been told is bound to happen)

So, in summation, big bike vs little(r) bike, and newer vs older, opinions?

Thanks in advance dudes.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, in summation, big bike vs little(r) bike, and newer vs older, opinions?

Thanks in advance dudes.

I would have to say the best bike to start on would be a naked bike like a Suzuki SV, Ducati Monster, Yamaha FZ. These are great bikes since they are lightweight, have decent power but not too much, have sportbike braking systems and most of all are very fun to ride. In another light i would suggest looking at a Dual Sport style of bike like a BMW F800GS or a Suzuki V-Strom, i ride an Adventure bike (BMW R1200GSA) and love the option to keep on riding when the pavement ends, it opens up alot of options for good rides. I do have a crotch rocket for sale right now but i wouldn't feel good selling it to anyone new to riding as it is a bit of a handful if you open it up.

Personally i would shy away from cruisers as they do not have anything to offer that i really look at but that is why there are so many different bikes out there, they make something for everyone.

As for engine size, that is all in control of you throttle hand! A big guy won't have much fun on a 50hp bike whereas for a smaller guy that may be just right. Just remember there is a huge difference in power cc vs cc between a cruiser and a sportbike.

Hope this helps.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Ducati has lots of goor points.
If your mechanical you may want to get an older bike so you can do your own maintanaince. I ve done most of mine on the 81 Honda I ride except carbs, Shock seals, etc. And at $120 hour labour have saved substainal amount of money.

Ya don't kid yourself on buying a 600cc rocket Im 220lbs, and those little bastards still MOVE.

I would say an older bike is maybe best,
1. maintainance
2. cost
3. power levels
4. you won't cry if you lay her over (old bike equals lots of metal not plastic)

If you still want power, Honda V65 Magna. These bikes got balls, and 6 speed tanny, in a semi-cruiser platform.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started on an 81 Honda 400 CM. Light enough that I could throw it around. Cheap enough that I wouldn't be heart broken if I dropped it. I didn't lose any money on that bike and actually made some.
Great bike to learn and gain confidence. Small enough that I didn't venture too far and get into trouble and avoided the busier roads.
It's easier on your wallet when you're starting out because you don't spend stupid money on gear that somehow would need to suit a new bike.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I started (way back) with a Honda 450 (like shown)
images

then after I was comfortable throwing it around, a year later, I moved up to a CB750 which was a great bike in the semi-sport category

At that point I knew wanted something more cruiser like and went to a 1100 Yamaha Virago

and then my Harley.

Start a bit smaller and work your way up as your skill increases and you determine what category you fit into.

Attachments

• Moped.jpg
    Moped.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 162

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat...aside from a couple of dual sports, I never really did the street bike thing. I ended up buying an 09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 EFI. Nice bike, had to put a few bucks into it, but it really isn't my thing. It's going in the classifieds today.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I was in the same boat...aside from a couple of dual sports, I never really did the street bike thing. I ended up buying an 09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 EFI. Nice bike, had to put a few bucks into it, but it really isn't my thing. It's going in the classifieds today.

Biking is like a lot of things in life...you gotta really be hooked to enjoy it...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biking is like a lot of things in life...you gotta really be hooked to enjoy it...

That's right. I'm sure I would love it, I just need to hook the wife on it. Once the kids are old enough to hang out by themselves, I'm sure we'll try it again.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight gentlemen. Checked out what my insurance costs would be in BC here, looks like staying below 400cc would offer me the cheapest rates, along with not be too much power to get myself into trouble.

Next challenge, what style of bike, but I guess the used market will dictate that for me.

Thanks again.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself, some of those 400's are fast. Mostly have fun and ride with care. Cheerz

I can respect that. 400CCs now is a touch different then 400ccs back in 79. I may take a look at a honda rebel 250, just hoping it has enough jam to get over some of the passes and be able to pass people on the highway when needed. Any thoughts?

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can respect that. 400CCs now is a touch different then 400ccs back in 79. I may take a look at a honda rebel 250, just hoping it has enough jam to get over some of the passes and be able to pass people on the highway when needed. Any thoughts?

I would say it depends on how big or small you are. A Rebel 250 will have about 15-20hp if you are lucky, not really suitable for the highway. Maybe take a look at a Suzuki Gladius, that is a great starter bike.

Some big differences in cc's when it comes to different bikes:

Harley 1200....45hp
Jap cruiser 1300....60hp
Ducati 696......70hp
Gixxer 600 (for an example)......120hp

I would have to say if you are going the cruiser route you want about a 1300, they are heavy but at least have enough to go down the road. On a naked bike or Dual Sport you would look around the 6-700cc range.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just got a Rebel in on trade. Oh man it is one awesome bike. Great bike to learn on and has enough jam to giver when you need to, even on our summits. The people who owned this bike absolutely pampered it. We will be listing it for 2999 Give us a call at Main Jet at 250 352 3191 or email me at trishd@mainjet.ca

We have lots of bikes New and Used in right now for sale and we would rather sell than move them to our new location.
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada, Arctic Cat, Honda, KTM, Stihl, ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, Snowmobile, Utility Vehicle, Parts, Accessories, Apparel

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on how big or small you are. A Rebel 250 will have about 15-20hp if you are lucky, not really suitable for the highway. Maybe take a look at a Suzuki Gladius, that is a great starter bike.

Some big differences in cc's when it comes to different bikes:

Harley 1200....45hp
Jap cruiser 1300....60hp
Ducati 696......70hp
Gixxer 600 (for an example)......120hp

I would have to say if you are going the cruiser route you want about a 1300, they are heavy but at least have enough to go down the road. On a naked bike or Dual Sport you would look around the 6-700cc range.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

There is some fantastic info, thanks for that. I know damned well I will not be putting myself on a 600cc sportbike, my dog and girlfriend want me around for a little while longer. :d:eek:

Im starting to lean towards a naked bike or dual sport. Again, the market will dictate what is out there. No need to rush.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I learned on a 86 rebel when I was 13-14. It was geared to do about 145K/ph. It won't create and white knuckle experiences. Also it's pretty small. May be good for a shorter person.
If you want to keep your hands clean the rebel is a fine choice, nothing much for maintenance beyond any modern day quad or sled.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, rather than keep my hands clean, or get something small enough, I found a deal I could not pass up. 1993 Dyna Wide Glide, S&S 89" Stroker kit and some goodies. Loud, obnoxious, fast, temperamental and WAY too much fun.

262465_10150288269101585_510856584_7716519_2059432_n.jpg

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've managed to put 1500km on it so far. Have managed to get my old lady hooked on being a passenger, in a few short kms.

MAN are these things fun. I commute on it to work regularly and cannot believe how much more ready for work I am when I hop off this thing, rather than when I come in in the truck. That and I'm saving gas money.

Only downfall, it's got a bit of an oil leak. Asked some friends about it. "Well yea, you bought a Harley". Found the loose fitting, hopefully that clears it up.

Top Bottom