Building a garage-shop , need help

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another added expense with doing floor heat is you have to get a concrete pump when you pour the floor or get a bunch of guys to run wheelbarrows. Need a 14’ door to get a concrete truck in. We had a customer do floor heat in his 400’ chicken barn and said he would never do it again. With the floor insulated the ground underneath the slab holds no heat. In between cycles that barn cools off the quickest. His other barns hold the heat in the buildings way longer. The heat only goes into the ground a certain depth and stays there as heat rises. You get the same thermal ground heat with a traditional overhead heater with fans pushing the heat down.
That makes sense

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So going back to the hoist. What is the problem with a hoist and in-floor heat? You don't need a sump with a hoist these days and technically, it is not a problem putting the 4 legs on a properly designed floor with in-floor heat.
The hoist needs thicker , rebar braced concrete

Where the feet are and a half decent size area around them

It will be a 2 post hoist , there's a lot of load on the feet , especially a heavy truck with weight front or rear and not both ends

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My shop is coming up 25 years & has been radiant in floor from day one & awesome. The guys that designed & installed the system were the voice of experience. The BS being spewed here regarding recovery, problems etc is coming from the friend of a friend brothers sister said.

Tex will follow his wallet as he always does Ha! So no in-floor for you!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ch!t you moved, had enough of sicamous eh?

Its 40- in red deer and my shop is warm inside. No infloor heat. Can even roll around on the ground if i want to lol
Wanted a acerage , with flat land to use

Gave up looking around sicamous to Armstrong areas

Prices went redonculis, and ended up getting a job offer from a gm dealer in quesnel

Place we bought here for less than 500 , be 1.2 mill in sicamous south areas

So we cashed out on our place in sicamous, put 35% down here and kept 100 grand for shop , down a bit from 100 after buying tractor and few other house things , and cost a bit more with all the tax and crap selling and buying

Sold 30 grand worth of trees , cost half that in ground work done , stump removal, shop pad set up , gravel for drive ways and such ( don't have a pic of that with gravel , just the bare one )
1635002558358.jpg
1635002550082.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I thought of a oil burner

The gm dealer in salmon arm had two

They were a pain in the azz tho , if it wasn't just oil, ya know bit of gas or coolant in the oil , it messed it up

Clean burn was the name

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanted a acerage , with flat land to use

Gave up looking around sicamous to Armstrong areas

Prices went redonculis, and ended up getting a job offer from a gm dealer in quesnel

Place we bought here for less than 500 , be 1.2 mill in sicamous south areas

So we cashed out on our place in sicamous, put 35% down here and kept 100 grand for shop , down a bit from 100 after buying tractor and few other house things , and cost a bit more with all the tax and crap selling and buying

Sold 30 grand worth of trees , cost half that in ground work done , stump removal, shop pad set up , gravel for drive ways and such ( don't have a pic of that with gravel , just the bare one ) View attachment 249745View attachment 249746

Right on, looks awesome! Ya sicamous is getting stupid like Revy now price wise, maybe not quite as bad.

100g should get you a shop, just dont go looking at gold toilets.

Can always upgrade things down the road.

Just get a decent structure up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread could pass the sled deck on a halfton thread. Guys are passionate about their shop heat!!!
I'll take a pic of the wood boiler I got

It's a inside type

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just dont cheap out on things or comprise on things you can’t easily change.

I rushed my shop because I was in a rush. So because I couldn’t / didn’t have time to get engineered drawings I was limited to 10’ walls and 1000sq feet ish. Is not high enough for a hoist. I didn’t put a sump or infloor grate. So water pools all over. Small door 9 x 9. My truck just barely squeaks in with the mirrors out. I just have a little natural gas heater in the corner and its just fine. Puddles dry up with in a day ish.
In the summer it stays nice and cool in there even on hot days. It has only 3 small windows and really well insulated roof with 2x6 framed walls. Its good but could always be better. Lol.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and try and plan well for wiring. We put wiring JB’s everywhere we figured we might want plugs or lights. All my benches have lights hanging above them with their own switch. Where will the welder air compressor or whatever sit. Do you need 220 here or there? Camper plug in outside? Even the door sensor wires for the overhead door can be behind the tin/ drywall/ sheeting. I wish I would have Tinned my shop when I had the chance. Instead I got in a hurry and started putting stuff in there and building shelves and benches. Alot of work to do it now.
Even placement of windows in relation to bench space could be handy. Or maybe you need a man door at the back.

Anyway. The point being try to plan as much as possible. Like the hoist. If you have it planned pretty easy to plan where it sits to beef up the floor. In my attached garage I drilled 9 six foot deep piles that help support the pad. Really for no reason other than I had a auger on a skid steer handy and figured it would be a super overkill floor for small extra cost of the concrete.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you priced out going ICF's?
I'm just getting started on planning a build almost identical to your specs. Curious to see how this pans out.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s everyone running for slope? We’ve built a few shops now and I keep going steeper and steeper I hate water sitting in the floor. One contractor wouldn’t go as steep as I wanted said my toolboxes would be rolling around etc lol whatever

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I d
What’s everyone running for slope? We’ve built a few shops now and I keep going steeper and steeper I hate water sitting in the floor. One contractor wouldn’t go as steep as I wanted said my toolboxes would be rolling around etc lol whatever
I did 2" from the wall to the drain. I asked for 3" and the concrete guy looked at me like I was retarded said 1" is all that is needed. 2" works great, water goes straight to the drain no puddles. My shop is only 30x32 tho...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The hoist needs thicker , rebar braced concrete

Where the feet are and a half decent size area around them

It will be a 2 post hoist , there's a lot of load on the feet , especially a heavy truck with weight front or rear and not both ends
and what's the problem? They don't make thicker re-bar? Put it into the design of the floor and Bob's your Uncle!

The weather will drop down but won't stay low for as long as does in Alberta and Saskatchewan. If you are concerned, talk to good concrete people, they have solutions.

Top Bottom