Building a garage-shop , need help

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you are working in it full-time and always on the floor in floor heat is just too pricey and not worth it, you still need other heat as recovery is way too slow after opening doors. If heaters are pointed properly the bottom 3' is fine. Renting shop space, it's 80x55 with 2 forced air heaters and it's only a bit cold by overhead doors as they are old, not one bit cold working on the floor, and this is a 60 year old block building with 24' ceilings.

If you have access to natural gas heat it that way so you can turn the thermostat on and not worry about a thing, trying to save a few hundred a month in heating costs isn't worth it. However if price is such a big concern might be worth waiting until some costs drop back down, wasn't long ago a 40x80 complete finished inside with about 800 sq/ft finished mezzaine with bathroom, etc was $200k. The open ends don't make sense either imo, a lot of extra cost for very little benefit.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex, there are two things I’ve learnt from doing expensive projects for myself (same is true for ones I’ve done for my business) 1. Don’t get caught up tripping over dollars to pick up Pennie’s. Quality costs more, I’m all for saving money but this is a huge purchase a couple grand isn’t gonna change your life to have what you really want. 2. Take your time DO NOT RUSH seen it lots and have done it myself, you get so excited to see it throttle rush and end up making mistakes.

Congratulations on the new place and enjoy the process of the build it’s nice seeing dreams come to reality. Cheers buddy!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you are working in it full-time and always on the floor in floor heat is just too pricey and not worth it, you still need other heat as recovery is way too slow after opening doors. If heaters are pointed properly the bottom 3' is fine. Renting shop space, it's 80x55 with 2 forced air heaters and it's only a bit cold by overhead doors as they are old, not one bit cold working on the floor, and this is a 60 year old block building with 24' ceilings.

If you have access to natural gas heat it that way so you can turn the thermostat on and not worry about a thing, trying to save a few hundred a month in heating costs isn't worth it. However if price is such a big concern might be worth waiting until some costs drop back down, wasn't long ago a 40x80 complete finished inside with about 800 sq/ft finished mezzaine with bathroom, etc was $200k. The open ends don't make sense either imo, a lot of extra cost for very little benefit.
Yes , possibly full time and will have a hoist

So hopefully very little on the floor

I'll price it both ways , the open sides was just for all my crap , not to be out in the weather

And making a separate pole shed and a shop would be way more money I would assume

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes , possibly full time and will have a hoist

So hopefully very little on the floor

I'll price it both ways , the open sides was just for all my crap , not to be out in the weather

And making a separate pole shed and a shop would be way more money I would assume

Definitely wouldn't consider infloor heat with a lift it is insanely pricey, probably $30k at least. What sort of stuff? If it's only covered on top it's not providing much shelter and no security. I bet if you cut that space in half you could build it in shop space for the same amount, and with high ceilings mezzanine on one part gives a ton of extra room. Or as one person suggested make it one shop and section off one space to leave unheated, but in reality if you insulate it well and keep temp at even 10c it's not much money to heat.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't consider infloor heat with a lift it is insanely pricey, probably $30k at least. What sort of stuff? If it's only covered on top it's not providing much shelter and no security. I bet if you cut that space in half you could build it in shop space for the same amount, and with high ceilings mezzanine on one part gives a ton of extra room. Or as one person suggested make it one shop and section off one space to leave unheated, but in reality if you insulate it well and keep temp at even 10c it's not much money to heat.
Travel trailer , enclosed trailer , quads , sleds , tractor , back the truck under with sleds on the deck

Kinda thing

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone i know who has infloor heat In a shop or house would never go without.

I'm wanting to build a shop also, was going to do it last year but held off due to lumber costs.
Friend poured a 40x40 pad last year for a shop. He Picked up a double truss storage tent for super cheap since lumber was stupid. Insulated it and screwed plywood 8' high on the side walls. Framed in front and back walls with 10foot doors. Pretty slick set up for about 50k.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have got a few quotes for my new shop 60 x 60 by 16 anywhere from $150,000 to $200,000

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So thought of in floor , but the recovery time , compared to hot air blowing is off
Stupidest bunch of BS I've ever heard & was told. In floor heats tool boxes, equipment, anything in your shop, the floor etc....warm...........& the air cools down.....who the PHK cares? Floor is warm & ever thing you touch.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is zero recovery time with in floor heat not sure why people are saying that they clearly haven’t worked in one? Cycle lol?

Yes if you turn it from 5 degrees to 20 degrees it will
Take a few hours vs a forced air. But opening doors etc it comes back almost instantly you have to remember the heat is in the concrete so when you open a door and close it the heat is instantly lifting from the concrete and recovers very very fast. And it’s lifting evenly from the ground up so it’s even heat and fast recovery. But ya don’t expect to walk out snd crank it up to 20 degrees any time fast. Have to pre plan that a little

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya anyone who says floor heat is not the best has been hittin the crack pipe hard. My 40x60 floor is 24c. Ice blocks warm up pretty fast. Im able to work on things within 30 min and not have frozen hands.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya anyone who says floor heat is not the best has been hittin the crack pipe hard. My 40x60 floor is 24c. Ice blocks warm up pretty fast. Im able to work on things within 30 min and not have frozen hands.
Cycles on crack. In floor heat! Never beat!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point tho , infloor heating and putting in a hoist

Interference

Never thought of that

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40x48 with cold storage on one side .
Big mezzanine.
All led lighting with lots of outlets .
In floor heating installed in floor . Not hooked up yet .
Radiant tube heating
Spray foam insulation
Vaulted sealing
Tin on interior walls .
14 foot doors
$190 four years ago
FYI

Attachments

• CD15BA92-8C26-4E01-9495-37E78215AE02.jpeg
    CD15BA92-8C26-4E01-9495-37E78215AE02.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 130

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stupidest bunch of BS I've ever heard & was told. In floor heats tool boxes, equipment, anything in your shop, the floor etc....warm...........& the air cools down.....who the PHK cares? Floor is warm & ever thing you touch.

Open a 18'x18' door at -30 for 5 minutes bringing stuff in/out and tell me how warm it is in there with in floor heat. Air will be ice cold for hours, not to mention better hope you got no water anywhere close to a door or it will freeze. If you want to spend a fortune it's a great addition to other heating, but as a stand alone heat source it's awful. How much does it heat 12' up on a mezzanine? Zero. How much does it heat if the piece of equipment you're working on is 15' in the air? Yea it's going to be ice cold up there.

There is a reason virtually no mechanic light or HD have heated floors.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In-floor heating is for houses and people with "shops" who 90% never work in them but love telling everyone they have in-floor heat. No offence to anyone with it, it's just become this thing that people like to brag about with so many, compared to actually being a benefit. Visit ANY shop who works on chit everyday and virtually none have it and couldn't careless about it. Why? It's expensive as chit and you still need another heat source, only you can downsize it but the cost won't be much different. Yea if you want to go with both it will be awesome but the cost won't. Add in the fact that you better hope at -40 it doesn't crap out or the lines will break and now you're fawked. The floor drying faster? With a properly sloped floor and air movement it will dry in no time.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In-floor heating is for houses and people with "shops" who 90% never work in them but love telling everyone they have in-floor heat. No offence to anyone with it, it's just become this thing that people like to brag about with so many, compared to actually being a benefit. Visit ANY shop who works on chit everyday and virtually none have it and couldn't careless about it. Why? It's expensive as chit and you still need another heat source, only you can downsize it but the cost won't be much different. Yea if you want to go with both it will be awesome but the cost won't. Add in the fact that you better hope at -40 it doesn't crap out or the lines will break and now you're fawked. The floor drying faster? With a properly sloped floor and air movement it will dry in no time.
In floor heat recovers because everything in the shop becomes a radiator when the door closes. Not only is the concrete warm but all the objects in the shop are warm. A fan to circulate air is all that is required. If you want top performance install a high efficiency unit heater 1/4 the size the shop would require solo. Unless your running a jiffy lube and opening 16' doors every 30 min then it's not required.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In floor heat recovers because everything in the shop becomes a radiator when the door closes. Not only is the concrete warm but all the objects in the shop are warm. A fan to circulate air is all that is required. If you want top performance install a high efficiency unit heater 1/4 the size the shop would require solo. Unless your running a jiffy lube and opening 16' doors every 30 min then it's not required.

My experience has been without any additional heat sources if you're working on anything say 15' up it's cold as hell with only in-floor. Or bring in something and try working up high right away, almost might as well try and do it outside because it's just as cold. But if someone was only working on sleds all the time they'd have a totally different opinion on in floor. It's true it wouldn't take much of a heater to cure that, but to put in a heater 1/4 the size vs just heat with a bigger one only isn't that much, and in a 3000 sq/ft shop you can be out $30k easy putting in floor, that's a lot of coin for the minor benefit. Now if you were just able to rig up in floor yourself with a water heater like people use to do then it's not going to be insanely priced and maybe it makes sense.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a plumber who does a lot of in floor heat installs and he says he would never put it in a shop. The cost is astronomical and the maintenance on the boiler is a pain in the ass. He said radiant tube heaters all the way. I plan on doing radiant tube heaters and a wood-burning stove in my shop, but the stove is going to be a big one capable of heating 3000 square feet. That being said, my house has in floor heat through the whole thing and it is phenomenal. I don't know if I could do without again

Top Bottom