Building a garage-shop , need help

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold 7 loads off the property of fir

Thought of that , but needs time to dry and also needs to be manufactured wood for insurance purposes

Pay up then I guess. Looks like a nice building at least.

You could do some of the work yourself maybe to keep costs down a bit.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much shop can that buy tex ?
Well

30000 made selling wood after costs

But couldn't get a logging truck that's self loader into yard , had to hire a excavator to clear stumps and straighten out drive way

Some of the time spent , we were going to get done anyways , needed stumps out of shop pad area , and some road spots

But got him to spend some time cleaning up and made piles which would have taken forever in my tractor

Over half on excavator and gravel

So wasn't really worth it , cause over the 30000 you need a gst number and pay tax

But going to keep gst number and do small side things as business, so get some back in write offs , including the shop

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you met Tex? If it doesn’t have a spark plug he’s lost. Lol. (You know I’m teasing Jeffy)
Lol

Ya I'm cheap , don't want to full spend

That was the hole idea of moving too

Get way more , for the same mortgage

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We Built something similar this year by Sicamous, costed right around to what you were quoted.we are going to do the interior finishing ourselves to keep the cost down. Also we had to do a small living quarters so had to add all the costs that go with that to get the permit. The smaller side will be heated and storage on the larger side.
IMG_3958.jpg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is Murica pricing but helps with the problem of inflation.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It honestly won’t make a difference if it’s insulated properly on an extra 600 sq ft.
Ya I suppose

Except I was going to use a pellet stove to heat

1600 most will heat

2200 most will not , and have to get a big bitch or have gas over head

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go price out a ton of pellets and compare to NG price before you commit. Pellets not cheap anymore and harder and harder to get with them mostly being exported to power plants overseas.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus they need to be filled up constantly lol

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not a good time to be what you are....cheap Ha! You should do this right as you are in this location & working for the long term. I'm sure you have figured out who knows & who does not.

In floor radiant is #1 & would be my priority. Building a energy efficient structure would also be #1. Cost to heat & comfort moves the same direction, think long term.......I know..... I'm wasting keyboard time :)

Pellets, OMG that is such a horrible heat.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
around here, if you can build a 40x60 shop to close up stage, $200,000 is considered a steal.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not a good time to be what you are....cheap Ha! You should do this right as you are in this location & working for the long term. I'm sure you have figured out who knows & who does not.

In floor radiant is #1 & would be my priority. Building a energy efficient structure would also be #1. Cost to heat & comfort moves the same direction, think long term.......I know..... I'm wasting keyboard time :)

Pellets, OMG that is such a horrible heat.

Bingo lol! I was gona say Tex open that wallet in floor heat is absolutely amazing and all that wrenching your going to be doing on that kitty cat may aswell be warm rolling around on the floor!

But in all seriousness, a shop with stove heat is not nice to work in one bit, even forced air everything 3 feet above the ground is still cold. I just built a 40x80 and really regretting not Doing the infloor. Went with a big forced air propane unit. Still nice but nothing compared to my other shop.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Pellets?? There is an abundance of wood around and good wood stoves are very efficient.
Saying that, infloor heat would be sweet and you could accomplish that with one of those stand alone outside boilers. Run time usually 12 hours and 4' logs; less cutting and no splitting. Really only need to run it from end of October or mid November until end of March.
Maxwell has a great point about the layers of temperatures. Whether it be a pellet stove or a wood stove, the floor is going to be cold and you have a hard time getting away from it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
phuk it, go with precast while ur at it.
No sense cheaping out.

Buddy built this shop and it turned out ok.

I know you said you didnt really want to spend 130000$ but youd probably be happiest in a multi million dollar building.

20211206_100341.jpg

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go price out a ton of pellets and compare to NG price before you commit. Pellets not cheap anymore and harder and harder to get with them mostly being exported to power plants overseas.
Ya true I guess

But then natural gas is going up , carbon tax

Plus to get gas up there from house meter be a good 1000 foot plus shot

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo lol! I was gona say Tex open that wallet in floor heat is absolutely amazing and all that wrenching your going to be doing on that kitty cat may aswell be warm rolling around on the floor!

But in all seriousness, a shop with stove heat is not nice to work in one bit, even forced air everything 3 feet above the ground is still cold. I just built a 40x80 and really regretting not Doing the infloor. Went with a big forced air propane unit. Still nice but nothing compared to my other shop.
It's possibly going to be a shop I work out of

So thought of in floor , but the recovery time , compared to hot air blowing is off

Plus if you keep the shop pad warm , and don't let it get cold then it makes a big difference

Top Bottom