Brake disc play with video. 2001 summit 800

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am doing a once over on the new to me sled before the season. I was going to change my chaincase oil but noticed my brake disc has a fair bit of play.

I was wondering if this is normal or if i should pull this apart? Do the ZX chassis have a keyway on that side or splines? Im guessing keyway based on the amount of play.

Here is a video.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07NC6c6PFZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Also, where is this nipple connection off of the bottom of the coolant resevoir supposed to go? I cant figure out what its for either, its down below the coolant level yet no coolant is leaking out of it.

Thanks

Attachments

• coolantresevoir.jpg
    coolantresevoir.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 131

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THEY HAVE KEYWAYS, AND YUP, THEY SEEM A LITTLE LOOSE.... MY '99 670X CAN BE TURNED ABOUT A 1/2".... THAT'S NORMAL, ITS BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE DAY ONE.;) THE COOLANT SPOUT HOU'RE SHOWING IS FACTORY PLUGGED I BELIEVE..... DID YOU CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS SEALED?? :confused:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THEY HAVE KEYWAYS, AND YUP, THEY SEEM A LITTLE LOOSE.... MY '99 670X CAN BE TURNED ABOUT A 1/2".... THAT'S NORMAL, ITS BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE DAY ONE.;) THE COOLANT SPOUT HOU'RE SHOWING IS FACTORY PLUGGED I BELIEVE..... DID YOU CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS SEALED?? :confused:

Ya its sealed, just seemed like a weird place to put a nipple and then plug it off:confused:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that`s because your brake is tied into your jack shaff. The more slack you have in your chain the more free play in the rotor. This design is bad in the fact if you brake a chain you have no brakes. The newer ones have brakes on the drive shaff so if the chain brakes you can still stop.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that`s because your brake is tied into your jack shaff. The more slack you have in your chain the more free play in the rotor. This design is bad in the fact if you brake a chain you have no brakes. The newer ones have brakes on the drive shaff so if the chain brakes you can still stop.

that movement is without moving the jackshaft at all. looks like just the disc keyway is worn. It sounds fairly common based on my reading on dootalk.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
that movement is without moving the jackshaft at all. looks like just the disc keyway is worn. It sounds fairly common based on my reading on dootalk.

YUP, VERY COMMON.... ALREADY REPLACED MY ROTOR, AND KEY, BUT THE JACKSHAFT KEYWAY IS WORN A LITTLE TOO(TOO MUCH WORK AND COST IN REPLACING THE JACKSHAFT). WAS MUCH BETTER WITH THE NEW ROTOR AND KEY.... HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW;).... I WOULDN'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT IT, UNLESS ITS GETTING REALLY SLOPPY.

ski-doo

Reaction score
that plug is there because i believe in 02 they came out with the heated carbs and thats were the line ran off the coolant tank to the carbs. Bombi was thinking ahead.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that plug is there because i believe in 02 they came out with the heated carbs and thats were the line ran off the coolant tank to the carbs. Bombi was thinking ahead.

Yup just had a look on my 02 summit 800 and this were the return coolant from the heated carbs.

Mine has a bit a play in the brake disc as well but less the half of what is shown in the video.

Top Bottom