Booster Pump and Tank setup for shop

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im trying to figure out a cost effective water system for our new shop, it doesnt have a well, or city water access. i only need to wash a few vehicles, and have a sink for washing hands etc. i am thinking about getting a 1000-2000L tank and just having it fill with rainwater then using a booster pump to pressurize the system for the Tap and Pressure washer etc.

would something like this work? I am the furthest thing from a plumber so i really have no clue. anyone else have a setup like that?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't really need a pressure tank if you're going to have a tank full of water unless you, just a pump and pressure switch.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im trying to figure out a cost effective water system for our new shop, it doesnt have a well, or city water access. i only need to wash a few vehicles, and have a sink for washing hands etc. i am thinking about getting a 1000-2000L tank and just having it fill with rainwater then using a booster pump to pressurize the system for the Tap and Pressure washer etc.

would something like this work? I am the furthest thing from a plumber so i really have no clue. anyone else have a setup like that?

That should work.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't really need a pressure tank if you're going to have a tank full of water unless you, just a pump and pressure switch.

The pump might have trouble reaching its cut out pressure of the pressure switch with out having a pressure tank so the water can compress the air and build pressure.

Pump might just dead head at 30 pounds or so and run continuous

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned you do not need the pressure tank and switch for the washer. However if you put a utility sink beside it would cool for washing hands, parts etc. If you use totes and a 3/4" hose to supply your pressure washer you do not need a pump at all it is more than enough, elevate or stack the totes and it works even better. I run a 4 gpm pressure washer off a tote all the time works great.

I actually built a 4 legged stand for my tote to sit on and my pressure washer rolls right underneath. I don't even disconnect supply and have a hose reel on washer so wrap up takes less than a minute.

Last edited:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Let me know if you want an underground tank, I can help you out, I have an 8000 gallon tank buried for my shop that I use for water testing my tanks but also run my hotly pressure washer off it. I have found that I needed to run a pump to supply my pressure washer as it is 3 plus gallons per minute I think, without it I run outta water in a few minutes from just my pressure tank. I sell tanks starting at 750 gallons and go up from there so its whatever size you want, the nice thing about burying it is you don't have to worry about the lines freezing etc like you would with a tote or any other option.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price of that pump i would just buy it little over kill for what you want to do but leaves room for future improvements.. nothing worse than having low water pressure... putting the tank underground is a great option as well.. You can also attach heat tape to the tank to keep it from freezing..

Top Bottom