Boost-it Turbo kit...What sets it apart from the rest?

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say too much for the Boost-It turbo kit yet since I only drove NM's 13 machine half way to the start of a chute in the bull pen I think?
(correct me if I'm wrong). To this day i never rode a two stoke turbo that pulled as hard and ran as crisp as his machine. Neil took time out of his day well over an hour on the hill explaining his kit to us and what is kits had to offer. After about 20 emails and a few phone calls our group has decided we have to have the Boost-it kits.
It was nice to talk to a smart guy who knows turbos and is not full of BS. He never knocked anyone else's product the whole time and even suggested other kits that were well built that he would run if he never had his kit.

Winter can't come fast enough.....

(A little off topic but the wife flew out to Smithers bc on Monday and said there is new snow on the mountain tops.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great question.
Modern 2 strokes have oilers to each high demand oiling location. I can't remember off hand how many separate oil hoses come off the pump on the Polaris, but it is 4 or 5. We also ask our customers to add a couple ounces of oil to each tank of fuel so the extra oil passes through the crankcase, reeds, and throttle bodies.
As you know, the engines make much more power, but don't turn anymore RPMs then a stock sled so the crank and bearings are not at risk with proper oiling. The death of any turbo engine is detonation which usually leads to a worse outcome and that is preignition.

Do you recommend turning up the oil pump as well? Or is the mixture ratio with the couple ounces cut it, even for long pulls?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We always welcome anyone that wants to ride with us. Our sleds get ridden by multiple people all winter long.
Here is a great vid of how our HO kit behaves in on/off throttle situation. This was a long steep pull too.
BBG, Tisdale and JP climbing out of creek - YouTube

cool vid, he definately keeps it spooled up while on/off he obviously knows how to ride a two stroke turbo.

Last edited:
Reactions: NM

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
-Electronic Boost control. We now have an electronic boost control system that increases boost as the sled goes up in elevation. This way power and clutching is maintained at all elevations and air pressures weather it is a good or bad air day. No rider input required.
-XIC fuel controller. The Engineer that designed and builds our XIC has been building turbocharged fuel injection systems since 1980. He builds full standalone systems for automobiles and turbocharged aircraft. These XICs are built in Calgary. Even though I have begged for a standalone system, he talks me out of it every time and tells me that we have the best product out there for a snowmobile. It is easily adjustable, has unreal features, and does not need a laptop to adjust.

Probably two of the most important points here (besides the W/A IC of course, which should never be in dispute with turbocharging)

I've looked into tuning the factory controllers quite extensively. Problem is, the industry keeps changing cal sets and controllers. Only a limited number of controllers have been cracked, and the software to manage them is just a tad bit pricey! And in the case of the e-tecs, you can't stuff in bigger injectors anyway. The boost-it is by far the most practical setup I've seen so far.

Only one question - can you intercept spark signal and substitute spark mapping?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes very sweet!!! But I have my Nytro still running strong so was thinking of a turboed two stroke for easier rideing. And yes a low boost xm would be sweet!!! I prefer the XM over the Pro. Not starting a brand war. I own all of them except Cat. They are all good machines. Just like the handling of the XM the best.

Have you seen the pictures of the Viper that Neil builds?!?!? That is one sweet looking sled! Based on looks it would be hard not to build one! Maybe one day Neil will build a low boost kit for a XM "hint"!

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Do you recommend turning up the oil pump as well? Or is the mixture ratio with the couple ounces cut it, even for long pulls?
We have never turned up an oil pump, but I can not see why it would hurt anything. We like the oil in the fuel because it also lubes the fuel pump.

NM

Reaction score
Probably two of the most important points here (besides the W/A IC of course, which should never be in dispute with turbocharging)

I've looked into tuning the factory controllers quite extensively. Problem is, the industry keeps changing cal sets and controllers. Only a limited number of controllers have been cracked, and the software to manage them is just a tad bit pricey! And in the case of the e-tecs, you can't stuff in bigger injectors anyway. The boost-it is by far the most practical setup I've seen so far.

Only one question - can you intercept spark signal and substitute spark mapping?
At this point we do not have any intention of controlling spark timing. It would be ok for the people that insisted on running low boost on pump fuel, but as you know, retarding the timing does hurt power.
We have 11:1 turbo heads for the customers that insist on pump fuel but have never sold one.
It seems that every one of our customers would rather mix in the proper blend of fuel.
We recommend a blend of race and pump or av and pump of at least 25% up to 7 lbs at elevation and at least 50/50 from 7-10.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
At this point we do not have any intention of controlling spark timing. It would be ok for the people that insisted on running low boost on pump fuel, but as you know, retarding the timing does hurt power.
We have 11:1 turbo heads for the customers that insist on pump fuel but have never sold one.
It seems that every one of our customers would rather mix in the proper blend of fuel.
We recommend a blend of race and pump or av and pump of at least 25% up to 7 lbs at elevation and at least 50/50 from 7-10.

Thanks for the response. "If you can pay for the boost, you can pay for the juice!" I agree. However I'm one of those OCD types that likes control over EVERYTHING... LOL.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the pictures of the Viper that Neil builds?!?!? That is one sweet looking sled! Based on looks it would be hard not to build one! Maybe one day Neil will build a low boost kit for a XM "hint"!

He would have to triple the size of his shop of he built a kit for the Xm. Everyone would have one!

dmax

Reaction score
Can't wait to flip the flapper on the 2014 with this set up!!! :bolt:

• Thanks

NM

Reaction score
Just a quick update. We have revised the pricing on our low boost kit and it is now selling for 5595.00. For those that have one on order or have one getting installed, the price will be adjusted to be 400.00 less.

Thanks...Team Boost-It

tool_man

Reaction score
Just a quick update. We have revised the pricing on our low boost kit and it is now selling for 5595.00. For those that have one on order or have one getting installed, the price will be adjusted to be 400.00 less.

Thanks...Team Boost-It

It comes with the 2860 now at the lower price, and not the 2863 (500 upgrade) so what's the real difference. I would assume the 2863 spools quicker, but on a low boost kit does it make much of a difference?

Do you ship now too, or install only still?

NM

Reaction score
It comes with the 2860 now at the lower price, and not the 2863 (500 upgrade) so what's the real difference. I would assume the 2863 spools quicker, but on a low boost kit does it make much of a difference?

Do you ship now too, or install only still?
The spool time between to two is almost not noticible. The 2863 GTX is more suited to boost numbers over 8 lbs because it can flow more air.

We will be shipping kits this season.

Thanks

NM

Reaction score
Just finished a 2014 with a High Output water to air kit. Only other Mod is RSI riser and handlebars, heaters, grips, etc.
This sled is brand new with no miles. 22000.00 plus GST.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 728
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 729
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 729

NM

Reaction score
How big of difference are the low boost and high boost kits? What kind of power will each make?
Both kits are capable of similar power levels. The Intercooled kit does a much better job maintaining power on longer wide open pulls.
We don't refer to our intercooled kit as a "high boost" kit, we call it a High Output kit because of its ability to make a lot of power without running high boost levels. It has a bigger turbo and much cooler charge temps which equates to more power and torque.

NM

Reaction score
I want to show some more of what sets us apart.
We ride where you ride, and know what works in the deep BC pow. You likely won't see us showing off how great our products work in slushy spring snow, because we know that is not where our customers like to ride.
Our turbo kits are manufactured right here in Alberta using top quality parts and Genuine Garrett turbos for cost effectiveness and durability. These turbos are also on the shelf right here in our shop, so a replacement if needed is just a day away.
Our turbo kits are clutched for BC snow conditions, so there is no guessing. It took us almost the entire season in 2011-12 to find the perfect clutching for BC snow and this clutch combo is included in every kit. We have also sold many of these clutching kits to customers with US turbo kits.
We include with our HO kit a PTO side footwell vent (optional on low boost kit)made of 1/8 aluminum so it will handle the pounding and kicking of those big boots. Once again we know this is a great feature. I personally smoked 3 belts in one day once in chest deep pow because I could not keep snow out of my clutches.
The HO kit also gets an engine torque stop to help with the pounding that the motor mounts endure with a turbo sled. This will also add many days to the belt life, and at two hundy a belt, that's a good thing. This torque stop is also for sale to anyone with a Pro and is optional on our low boost kit.
We do an overlap partial reed in both of our turbo kits to help extend reed life. We find the reed life in our HO kit is exceptional because of the cooler air from our water to air intercooler, as well as the cooling and lubrication effect of fuel being sprayed through the reeds.
We have seen reeds on other kits that have actually looked cooked from guys trying to run higher boost numbers with a non intercooled kit or an air to air kit. Once they have been heated to these temps, they just get brittle and break.
We don't run a timing key or retard timing. Retarding the timing on a boosted engine is good for one thing and one thing only...running pump gas at low boost (5-6) lbs. the problem with this is, almost every person that tries to run this combo realizes that they have an expensive turbo kit that performs only marginally better than a stock sled. So when they do decide to finally put some better fuel (Aviation or Race) in their sled, now they have to run the boost 3-4 lbs more than our kits just to get the same power. Retarded timing kills power.
We also use a properly filtered intake. Some other turbo kits suck air from the stock airbox in the hood which will not filter our fine particles like brake dust or belt dust. Some other turbo kits only run a screen on their turbo, so they are not filtering out any brake or belt dust. We have pulled the throttle bodies and reeds on some of these kits, and it is honestly a mess in there. With our K&N filter and prefilter combo, the throttle bodies and reeds are always clean. This will also help if you ever have to ride on a dusty trail in the spring time. Motors don't like dirt.

We have a system to secure the throttle bodies to the inbox in a way that the airbox can not push off. We also secure the airbox at the top by using cnc mount attached to the steering post. The mounts are secured with a belting that will not stretch, but also transfer very little vibration.
The latest version of our fuel controller has a built in barometric pressure sensor so the auxiliary injectors are altitude compensating just like the stock system. We can trim the entire map for different altitudes. This is now standard equipment on all of our kits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 468
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 465
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg