Blown Attic Insulation

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy from a retail store, you only get retail coverage out of your bag's. The ones from the blow companies, have construction size bags, and the hopper they use is about 5 times the size. So in a commercial application, you get more coverage/ sq. ft. then you ever would, doing it yourself.

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, But I do believe, that there are something's in life worth paying for.

That makes no sense, the person on the end of the hose decides the coverage per square foot, not the machine used. However, the ones that a commercial company would use are probably more powerful and therefore faster.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That makes no sense, the person on the end of the hose decides the coverage per square foot, not the machine used. However, the ones that a commercial company would use are probably more powerful and therefore faster.

Really :rolleyes: :confused:

The hopper or the "machine" does not control the air, volume of material, but the guy at the end of the hose does???

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are doing a 1200 sq ft garage at r40 for 850 with machine rental. Home depot has a sale buy 4 bags and next free. Beats local pricing a lot.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really :rolleyes: :confused:

The hopper or the "machine" does not control the air, volume of material, but the guy at the end of the hose does???

Umm, yeah, when the insulation is at the proper depth in a spot, you move the hose to the next spot. The size of bag or machine has no effect other than speed at which the job is completed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ummm...... OK......

I spent a year blowing in attics day in and day out, using a commercial hopper. I have also used one from HD, when our truck went down. The one from HD has NO hopper settings, meaning you can not adjust the gate or the air flow. Which affects your coverage, yes the guy at the end of the hose has to know what he is doing! The ones from HD do work decent, but they are slow.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm...... OK......

I spent a year blowing in attics day in and day out, using a commercial hopper. I have also used one from HD, when our truck went down. The one from HD has NO hopper settings, meaning you can not adjust the gate or the air flow. Which affects your coverage, yes the guy at the end of the hose has to know what he is doing! The ones from HD do work decent, but they are slow.

Not sure I understand, how does changing the hopper settings or air flow effect how thick the insulation goes in?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure I understand, how does changing the hopper settings or air flow effect how thick the insulation goes in?

Having the gate too far open, or the hopper producing too much air. Effects the coverage, per bag per sq ft. The guy at the end of the hose, and the hopper setting go hand in hand. But it is ultimatly the hopper settings that effect the coverage. Think of it like a carb on a sled or quad, it's the carb that effects the motor, not the guy pulling the trigger. If you know what I mean ;)

Top Bottom