Bikers.. Where's Your Favourite Place To Camp & Ride On May Long Weekends?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious....I'm looking for a good place to random camp and bike this upcoming May Long weekend.. I normally hit up Nordegg, but my parents recently shut their resort down up there thus preventing our group we normally spend May Long with from coming up and enjoying it this year, so we're forced to source out another spot.I've ridden a lot of areas, but I'm really curious which ones you prefer condition-wise, and that's great for random camping on a particularily busy long weekend. I think we're aiming for something that's a little terrainy.. hill climbs, good scenery...etc.At the moment I'm thinking something along the lines of Caroline, Rocky.. or McLean Creek..? But I'm not sure what their riding conditions are like for two wheelers this time of year..So.. where will all you bikers be venturing out to this May Long weekend? What's your favourite spot, and why?Thanks !

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to get off the beaten path on may long weekend as the common places turn into a ch!t show
West of Caroline ( rig street) prairie creek /fall creek west of rocky is and McLean creek are some of the busiest areas on may long lots of people go there to wreck stuff and party hard and leave a big mess so the cops and fish and wildlife watch these areas very close

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anywhere in the Peace River/Tangent area, you could spend a week riding every day and never hit the same trail/hill twice

....or Cadomin is awesome as well.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anywhere in the Peace River/Tangent area, you could spend a week riding every day and never hit the same trail/hill twice

....or Cadomin is awesome as well.
shut yo mouf. it's mine.....all mine....muaahahahahahaaaahahahaa!!!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Koocanusa, hands down. I'll never do another may long in one of Alberta's redneck retreats, too many cidiots out there for my liking.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Koocanusa, hands down. I'll never do another may long in one of Alberta's redneck retreats, too many cidiots out there for my liking.

I heard that place has awesome riding with lots of good climbs off lakes and rivers.

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on your age. Sorry but it was a rave for four straight days and nites up in the bush by phyis lake last year with all badges making regular rounds. They would show have the (rave people) clean for 30 minutes then back the next day. Not cool when some person starts their rig with straight pipes every two hrs all nite. Until mother nature got even, two 4x4 s buiried up to the door handles. Goin to Mclean this May long.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I know MOST places are a chitshow for May long.. even Nordegg gets pretty busy but I know area's up there that hardly anyone ever goes including the fish & wildlife.. but I wanted to try something different this year. Unfortunately I'm not willing to tow my trailer to BC for 2 days...so that's out of the question although I would love to head out there again for some riding in the summer.

As far as age? Well our group is between 25-30's. I wouldn't say were ravers or like to get rip roarin drunk and tear chit up.. but we most likely will like to party a little and enjoy some tunes and what not. Its not like I am expecting peace and quiet at midnight. We're pretty respectful as far as environmental concerns go.

I'm just curious which places are good for condition-wise in May, and for traffic. Busy campspots I'm expecting.. but I don't wanna have to constantly worry about coming around a corner and getting in a head on collision with a quadder doing 80MPh around a bend..I know you always gotta watch and be careful but I know there's places out there with endless amount of trails and you rarely cross paths with other riders on busy weekends. In Nordegg several years in a row I've never crossed paths with people on trails on long weekends.. probably because I stay away from the cop ridden busy areas but.. you know what I'm sayin.

I've ridden Mclean Creek in April a few years back.. sucked. Too wet and muddy for bikes IMO, but then again it was our first time out and didn't know the area or the trail system at all. Is May better? Maybe the lack of snow this winter is a result for slightly drier conditions this year?

Thanks all for any feedback!

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was still around there I'd definitely go north just a bit to the Vega area. So many trails and good camping spots. Big sand hills, lots of regular trails and a bit if muskeg if you're lookin for it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO, I spose I shouldnt be lettin out our lil secrets eh broski LOL
the beauty of living way up here man. 5 hours is just too far for most from the south to invade our pristine river valley. I feel for our southern bretheren....we trailer our stuff to save fuel for the riding, they trailer their stuff out of necessity to get somewhere to ride.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never been to cadomin, whats the best way to get there for a first time visit?? thanks

yammysnyotas

Reaction score
Don't do Maclean, its a swamp right now, still lots of snow too. All the partying aside (there's still quiet places to find to camp surprisingly) but maclean is better later in the season when it dries up a bit more. Places like Waiparous/Burnt timber etc are a lot rockier so the trails don't get as boggy. That being said, in true may long tradition, im sure its going to snow again, so everywhere might be a mess! I've done may long in both maclean and waip and waip is better by far.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do Maclean, its a swamp right now, still lots of snow too. All the partying aside (there's still quiet places to find to camp surprisingly) but maclean is better later in the season when it dries up a bit more. Places like Waiparous/Burnt timber etc are a lot rockier so the trails don't get as boggy. That being said, in true may long tradition, im sure its going to snow again, so everywhere might be a mess! I've done may long in both maclean and waip and waip is better by far.

I hate early season riding at McLean! ugh, swampy bogs, cold creeks, snow and ice in the shade!

Waiparous is better, but its still early. Anything in low lying areas will be wet. Very wet.

Geash...My bike is still in parts...just a bare frame sitting on the garage floor.

yammys if you are out riding keep us posted on conditions, I figure I will have all my parts to go riding the weekend after may long.

The muffinman had the best suggestion, I wouldn't mind heading to Koocanusa sooner myself but not towing the trailer keeps your options limited LD. Lots of people head that way, if even for two days, its worth it.

yammysnyotas

Reaction score
I hate early season riding at McLean! ugh, swampy bogs, cold creeks, snow and ice in the shade!

Waiparous is better, but its still early. Anything in low lying areas will be wet. Very wet.

Geash...My bike is still in parts...just a bare frame sitting on the garage floor.

yammys if you are out riding keep us posted on conditions, I figure I will have all my parts to go riding the weekend after may long.

The muffinman had the best suggestion, I wouldn't mind heading to Koocanusa sooner myself but not towing the trailer keeps your options limited LD. Lots of people head that way, if even for two days, its worth it.

You got it! Maclean is only 40 mins from my house, so its usually the go-to. My 250 is in the shop at the moment too, hoping to have it for may long since we're trying out Kook this year, hoping for the weather gods to cooperate! But at least the 230 will still be good to go (but not nearly as fun!!!)

Anyways, Always looking for new people to ride with and new areas to check out!

Top Bottom