Big Horn Dam to Ram Falls

Patrick1

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to quading and this forum.
Hope this is the right area for my question.
So I live in Nordegg and have recently bought a Polaris Ranger and am interested in trying the trail that goes from the Big Horn Dam to the Ram river.
I think its called Almeyer trail (not sure). Just wondering about skill level and how long I should budget for it. Like I said I'm pretty green.
I would be taking the trail in a Polaris Ranger, and my buddy has a KTM. think we will run into any problems? Thanks for the help guys.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I beleive you are talking about the Alymer/Smallpox trail that goes to the North Ram??? There are some steep parts getting closer to the river, to the Falls??? am not sure about that??? tons of trails, but the falls are in a Park,,,,,,,, whay not just do the bighorn loop if you are new to this,,,,,, the bigger loop is a day trip anyway.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The easiest way is the Joyce Creek trail to the trunk road, than south to the horse riding ranch, turn right and follow roadway until it ends and you than have to cross Ram river a few times. When you come to a clearing watch for a trail to the right through the grass. This is now the tricky part of the trail, if I remember there are 3 steep rutted out hills that will take you back to the clearing where Joyce creek trail begins. These 3 hills are not for beginners. Just a warning. The other trails are easier. You can also go north of the highway, trails there are easier and you can also go t o the Crescent Falls.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hello everyone I'm new to quading and this forum.
Hope this is the right area for my question.
So I live in Nordegg and have recently bought a Polaris Ranger and am interested in trying the trail that goes from the Big Horn Dam to the Ram river.
I think its called Almeyer trail (not sure). Just wondering about skill level and how long I should budget for it. Like I said I'm pretty green.
I would be taking the trail in a Polaris Ranger, and my buddy has a KTM. think we will run into any problems? Thanks for the help guys.

By the way those trails will most likely be closed by SRD until the July 1st.

Patrick1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. There is alot of places to go from where I live (Shunda creek subdivision). Was just looking at the bighorn trail map and that looked like a neat one to do overnight. Maybe when I get alittle more experience.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the info guys. There is alot of places to go from where I live (Shunda creek subdivision). Was just looking at the bighorn trail map and that looked like a neat one to do overnight. Maybe when I get alittle more experience.

That can be done in less than a day, if you stay out of trouble. We know of a lady who rolled her quad down one of those steep rutted trails 2 years ago, banged up her shoulder and tore the scrambler apart. She was lucky.
Anyway have you tried the trail that goes around Coliseum Mtn and Baldy? If not I can give some directions. Very nice ride when we did it last in 2005. I actually would like to ride that area again but don;t want to stay at Shunda campground again, paying for wood sucks big time.

stephen189

Reaction score
Can you PM me the directions to the above suggested route please? Thank You! I just rode the Bighorn and Crecent Falls trails last weekend and loved it! great for all levels of riders.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can you PM me the directions to the above suggested route please? Thank You! I just rode the Bighorn and Crecent Falls trails last weekend and loved it! great for all levels of riders.

The trip around Baldy and Coliseum. We went east from Shunda campground along the highway until we found the first gravel road on the left(North) of highway. It is a logging road that I don't think is used much. Follow that up and just start watching for a trail. It can be a little hard because of the logging that was done . The trail should go eventually go through a cutblock that has new pine trees in it well over 10 feet tall(don't know how old they are) Baldy mountain can be seen from this trail. It has been 5 years so the memory is not the best on this one. Get yourself the Bighorn map, it should be on there. Can also be accesed from the road that the ranger takes to get to Baldy. I think we found it by accident. It took us most of the day, we took our time, it is a very easy trail.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest way is the Joyce Creek trail to the trunk road, than south to the horse riding ranch, turn right and follow roadway until it ends and you than have to cross Ram river a few times. When you come to a clearing watch for a trail to the right through the grass. This is now the tricky part of the trail, if I remember there are 3 steep rutted out hills that will take you back to the clearing where Joyce creek trail begins. These 3 hills are not for beginners. Just a warning. The other trails are easier. You can also go north of the highway, trails there are easier and you can also go t o the Crescent Falls.

We just rode those 4 days ago...Water is deep and trails steep and rutted.quad and rzr had no problems. From Big Horn dam to the gravel road 752 I think

Top Bottom