belt problems!

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k so ive blown a few belts on my 2010 m8 and now my three rides this season im getting major slip when under heavy load and reaching on average 7500-7900rpm, way to low. Theres a coat of belt rubber smeared on the lower part of the sheaves, ive cleaned them and it still happens right away again. Only clutch mod is a 44/38 dalton helix with the stock orange spring. Any ideas what my problem is??

its driving me nuts not being able to ride it the way its supposed to be ridden, WOT.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k so ive blown a few belts on my 2010 m8 and now my three rides this season im getting major slip when under heavy load and reaching on average 7500-7900rpm, way to low. Theres a coat of belt rubber smeared on the lower part of the sheaves, ive cleaned them and it still happens right away again. Only clutch mod is a 44/38 dalton helix with the stock orange spring. Any ideas what my problem is??

its driving me nuts not being able to ride it the way its supposed to be ridden, WOT.
primary clutches have been a problem on the '10 M sleds. I can't remember the exact issue, but it is common. broken primary spring maybe?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
primary clutches have been a problem on the '10 M sleds. I can't remember the exact issue, but it is common. broken primary spring maybe?

no ive got the updated spring in there now, thx tho

ned

Reaction score
try your stock 36 helix for a ride. 44/36 seems pretty steep for this higher reving motor

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're sure that the primary isn't broken? your describing exactly what happens. also swap back to your stock helix, and check your brake caliper for stickin like previously mentioned. the only thing with that is you should smell the pads burning up if that was the issue, see what happens. couple tips for cooling:
move your belt from the clutch cover (to under your seat, better under there anyway, away from the heat and grime) and port your clutch cover. you wont believe the air flow that creates. drill some holes in the belly pan and run a frogskin on both the inside and outside of the belly pan right in front of the primary.
what belt you running too? should be the 046. try those things out...good luck man!

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're sure that the primary isn't broken? your describing exactly what happens. also swap back to your stock helix, and check your brake caliper for stickin like previously mentioned. the only thing with that is you should smell the pads burning up if that was the issue, see what happens. couple tips for cooling:
move your belt from the clutch cover (to under your seat, better under there anyway, away from the heat and grime) and port your clutch cover. you wont believe the air flow that creates. drill some holes in the belly pan and run a frogskin on both the inside and outside of the belly pan right in front of the primary.
what belt you running too? should be the 046. try those things out...good luck man!
Ya primary aint broke, and im gonna try the 36 back on there but the guys at T&T recommended it as the best. I havent noticed anythin to do with the brake issue tho, and as for porting the cover and venting in front of the primary i already got er done. Guess we ll see if the straight 36 makes a difference.

Gazoo

Reaction score

have you checked your clutches with the an allignment bar. Ive seen a few out quite a bit .

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya had the alignment checked before i even went for the first ride this year,, bang on. The only thing i can even think that it might be is the need for a different spring in the secondary or maybe different weights. Gonna give Mark at T&T a call tomorrow and hopefully he can help out with some type of explanation.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you make out???

What was your thinking on this one Mark? It almost sounds like your primary is losing it's grip on the belt. I'm guessing your belt deflection is set-up correct; so maybe your primary set up is too light for the amount of force being put on your belt from your secondary?:confused:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did you make out???

I havent swapped out the helix yet, when i inspected it after talking to you i noticed i had two cracked rollers so i just brought my secondary in for the guys here to change it. Dont know if thatll make any difference. Ill prob ride sunday and if its still up to no good ill go back to the straight 36 and work from there.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just talked to the guys at the shop and they told me that two of the screws had come out or come loose on the the helix and they believe that that paired with the broken rollers very well could be my problem. Now saying that they took responsibility for the loose screws lol and are giving me a new belt and red locktighting them back in. Lets hope thats the end of that, ill see sunday.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes sense for sure. Hopefully that's all it is. That helix should work good once you get everything else fixed up.:beer:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent swapped out the helix yet, when i inspected it after talking to you i noticed i had two cracked rollers so i just brought my secondary in for the guys here to change it. Dont know if thatll make any difference. Ill prob ride sunday and if its still up to no good ill go back to the straight 36 and work from there.

Were they Rock Rollers? Just wondering cause I had one break on me last season too after only 300 miles.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were they Rock Rollers? Just wondering cause I had one break on me last season too after only 300 miles.

No they were just the stock plastic ones, my guy at the shop said he sees way more rock rollers breaking than the plastic ones, the only downside being the plastic ones eventually get flat spots.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be honest i dunno,,,the orange rollers that are sorta inside the secondary helix

Top Bottom