BC Sled Insurance

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am curious, should someone on a sled run into you and harm/injure you and they do not have insurance...what happens?

I have liability on just about everything I own.

One of my buddies was hit a few winters ago, coming down to the stagging area near dark and some guy flying up the trail. Luckily he wasn't severly injured, but he did have some injuries and damage to the sled. He is the kind of guy who shrugged it off, but I am sure others wouldn't have.

:confused:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your insurance company should pay you out and they'd have to sue the person that hit you to recover their costs. Anyone that rides on public land without at least PLPD coverage is an idiot unless they can afford to pay for any injuries and damages they msy cause out of pocket.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for one its not very busy here on the island,20 machines on the hill is a busy day so the chance of collision with other sled is slim,I personaly grew up in the age were you left the truck into the bush or mountains its your own responsability to take care of all damage you incure,you hit or get hit by someone well thats the chance you take by going out there,if you ask me its the people who sue the logging companys or some one else becuase they were riding like a fool that is getting are areas shut down,accidents happen when off roading so if thats what you choose to do well than thats the chance you take,yes there are idiots who ride crazy out there so that just means I have to pay more attention on the corners and such,but if we start having to many rules then we just get over regulated with fees and stuff it will not be the same,thats just my opinion though,yours may differ.As for insurance on a sled out here,we ride on crown land and just this winter there was the cops and B.C parks staff at the stageing area and all they were there to do is make sure we knew were the park boundry was and to tell us if we go in there we would be fined,never asked or said anything about insurance or even registration.

Last edited:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed with needing liabilty, not an issue. I am going to try to keep my existing insurance on my sled and trailer and not go through ICBC if I dont have to. Sled and trailer would then be fully covered including all perils for less than 500 a year.

wildchild

Reaction score
I think you have it backwards, if you are riding on crown land anyway. Insurance is the big fine, not registration.
Only require vehicle inspection on if using on public roads. Which, of course you cannot do.

In BC they class a forestry rd as a public rd. Any rd with KM markers thats why you need the third party liability insurance.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In BC they class a forestry rd as a public rd. Any rd with KM markers thats why you need the third party liability insurance.

Just to add a little clarification: In BC, you require (it is the law!) liability insurance on a FSR (forest service road) in the summer with a quad but not in the winter with a sled. If that same road is plowed
in the winter, sleds are not allowed whether they are insured or not.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So back to the topic.... Sled insurance not required, but if I can keep my current insurance on it I will. Back to the trailer is ICBC insurance required or can I keep my current insurance on it

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So back to the topic.... Sled insurance not required, but if I can keep my current insurance on it I will. Back to the trailer is ICBC insurance required or can I keep my current insurance on it

Technically, the trailer is just like a vehicle and will require BC plates and hence BC insurance after so many days (I'm thinking 60) of living in this beautiful province.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Technically, the trailer is just like a vehicle and will require BC plates and hence BC insurance after so many days (I'm thinking 60) of living in this beautiful province.

Thanks Fernie, then its not like Alberta for trailers. Here we dont require insurance as its covered by the tow vehicles insurance. When sitting at home its covered under the home policy. I still put comp ins on it for piece of mind. So that being said whats the average cost of trailer insurance? I will find out for sure on Friday as my goddies will be home and inspected by then

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks Fernie, then its not like Alberta for trailers. Here we dont require insurance as its covered by the tow vehicles insurance. When sitting at home its covered under the home policy. I still put comp ins on it for piece of mind. So that being said whats the average cost of trailer insurance? I will find out for sure on Friday as my goddies will be home and inspected by then

I haven't had a trailer for quite a few years but I'm thinking $50ish for registration and minimum insurance.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with ICBC. An out of province inspection is not required for my trailer or my skidoo. I need to register and insure my trailer, but do not need to insure nor register my sled. She also said that I need 2 mil liability to be on the trails??????

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with ICBC. An out of province inspection is not required for my trailer or my skidoo. I need to register and insure my trailer, but do not need to insure nor register my sled. She also said that I need 2 mil liability to be on the trails??????

Only in BC??????? No wonder people get confused and say to "hell with it"!!

What is she talking about with regards to registering your sled? Technically, you need to register your sled. In most places it isn't enforced. You doo not require 2M liability for the sled to be on trails, at least not in the East Kootenays. In the town of Elkford, you need liability to ride the "town trails" but not the FSR trails nor the registered back-country trails.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, they aer all going home tomrorow and what ever requires wht will get what it needs lol on Thursday. Then it will all be back in Alberta awaiting next season, which cant come soon enough

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No insurance required to ride in B.C. If they tell you otherwise they're wrong.

This is directly from the "Forest Service Road use Regulation". Only regulation there is......the rest of Crown Land is unregulated...other than wildlife closures etc.

[h=4]Snowmobiles[/h]3. (1) Despite the requirements of sections 2 (c) and 12, a person is not required to hold a subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act or a valid and subsisting contract of third party liability insurance while operating a snowmobile on a forest service road in compliance with subsection (3).
(2) Subject to compliance with subsection (3) and with the Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act and the regulations under that Act, a person may operate a snowmobile on a forest service road.
(3) A person must not operate a snowmobile on a forest service road if it appears that the road has been snowploughed, or that the road is otherwise fit for travel by motor vehicles other than snowmobiles.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here's the registraion requirement from the "Motor Vehicle All Terrain Act - Snowmobile Regulation". Yes, registration is required, though as many have stated...not much enforcement going on.

[h=4]Registration[/h]7 (1) Except as otherwise provided in the Act or this regulation, every owner of a snowmobile other than a rental snowmobile not licensed under section 3 of the Motor Vehicle Act shall, before the snowmobile is used or operated, register it with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia and obtain an owner's certificate.
(2) Every application for registration and an owner's certificate under subsection (1) must be in a form satisfactory to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, must be delivered to the corporation, a government agent or any person authorized under section 3 (5) or (6) of the Motor Vehicle Act for that purpose, and must be accompanied by a fee prescribed in Schedule 1, together with the amount of tax owing in respect of the snowmobile under the Social Service Tax Act, the Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act or section 212.1 or 218.1 or Division IV.1 of Part IX of the Excise Tax Act (Canada).
(3) Upon the receipt of the application and upon being satisfied of the truth of the facts stated in it and that the prescribed fees have been paid, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia shall register the name and address of the owner, and a description of the snowmobile, in a file or index to be kept for that purpose, and shall issue to the owner
(a) a numbered owner's certificate, in a form satisfactory to the corporation, showing the registration of the snowmobile and authorizing its use and operation in accordance with the Act, and
(b) 2 numbered owner's decals, each corresponding with the number of the owner's certificate.
(4) Every owner's decal shall be of such material and design as the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may determine, and shall remain the property of the Crown.

Top Bottom