Bc law on sleds on decks.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found out something interesting at the show this past weekend and thought I should share.
I was at the bulldog deck booth (decks are built in BC)looking at the new super deck, which is a very nice deck btw, while talking to the owner of the company I asked if the extension had a wire harness for the light to mount on the sled for the bc over length law.
He told me his wife is a cop and as long as the marker lights that are on the extension are visible from the rear than the 4 ft or so from the oem taillights does not apply.
That over length law would apply to someone using a 6.5 ft deck and not using a extension.
Now That being said, IMO that's open to interpretation, but I always wondered since this was brought up awhile ago, why a little light mounted on the sled was ok, and the marker lights on the deck extension was not, because once the deck is wired to your truck, the lights on the deck are activated by your oem lights.
But at the end of the day I already have a light and for the 30sec it takes to mount, I'll continue to use it, especially in bad weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also asked about the 3 lights that have to be in the centre of the deck if you are over 6.5 feet wide and i got the same answer my wife is a cop i guess you could take your chances and go without both and see what happens

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found out something interesting at the show this past weekend and thought I should share.
I was at the bulldog deck booth (decks are built in BC)looking at the new super deck, which is a very nice deck btw, while talking to the owner of the company I asked if the extension had a wire harness for the light to mount on the sled for the bc over length law.
He told me his wife is a cop and as long as the marker lights that are on the extension are visible from the rear than the 4 ft or so from the oem taillights does not apply.
That over length law would apply to someone using a 6.5 ft deck and not using a extension.
Now That being said, IMO that's open to interpretation, but I always wondered since this was brought up awhile ago, why a little light mounted on the sled was ok, and the marker lights on the deck extension was not, because once the deck is wired to your truck, the lights on the deck are activated by your oem lights.
But at the end of the day I already have a light and for the 30sec it takes to mount, I'll continue to use it, especially in bad weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you deck has proper clearance lighting, what matters then is if and how far your sled extends past the end of the deck's lights.

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I contacted the bc government on this matter. I was told the machine cannot hang over from the rear bumper of the truck for more than 1.2m. If it is longer you need a red light during the night that is visible for 150m. During the day you would require a red flag or light.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also asked about the 3 lights that have to be in the centre of the deck if you are over 6.5 feet wide and i got the same answer my wife is a cop i guess you could take your chances and go without both and see what happens

would have been a pretty easy response from me...

"will your wife give me that in writing"

:)

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's 1.2 m from the marker light. Where the bumper is irrelevant. So if you have a deck that extends 2' past the box and has lights on it at the rear it's 1.2m from there as it is considered a fixed part of the vehicle. Same goes for a trailer. 1.2m from the marker lights.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I contacted the bc government on this matter. I was told the machine cannot hang over from the rear bumper of the truck for more than 1.2m. If it is longer you need a red light during the night that is visible for 150m. During the day you would require a red flag or light.

Regardless of the laws in any province, is it not just the right thing to do, see and be seen? We spend $12K or so on a sled, thousands to trick it out and gear, hundreds on fuel for the weekend and yet we can debate over a $3 princess auto light? Too funny.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the laws in any province, is it not just the right thing to do, see and be seen? We spend $12K or so on a sled, thousands to trick it out and gear, hundreds on fuel for the weekend and yet we can debate over a $3 princess auto light? Too funny.
Ya if you remember it and some arsehole doesn't steal it from you.
One other thing to note is the max amount you can have hanging out the back is 15' or 4.6m from the center of the rear axle to the rear of the load-regardless of whether or not there is a light.

Top Bottom