Backup generator for home

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a Generac Dealer and for around $ 10,000 your 100% covered full automatic transfer. No headaches. By the time you bit.h fix these things that are only good for minimal load and a portable generator that you hope starts and runs with old fuel it is way more money and hassel trust me. Also you can get a discount on your home insurance with some companies. Just a bit of info that may help.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed one of these this summer so I can jack in the generator. It gives me 10 circuits that I can move from line power to generator power and you don't have to shut off your main breaker because it will not back feed into the grid. It works pretty good. I have a Firman 3300 that powers everything I need. The only thing that made it "grunt" was when I manually triggered the sump pump. I may fire it up later today to see how it runs in the cold.

https://www.costco.ca/reliance-cont...r-switch-complete-kit.product.4000195395.html

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed one of these this summer so I can jack in the generator. It gives me 10 circuits that I can move from line power to generator power and you don't have to shut off your main breaker because it will not back feed into the grid. It works pretty good. I have a Firman 3300 that powers everything I need. The only thing that made it "grunt" was when I manually triggered the sump pump. I may fire it up later today to see how it runs in the cold.

https://www.costco.ca/reliance-cont...r-switch-complete-kit.product.4000195395.html
This looks like a good setup. They even have a 6 circuit if you want save some coin... Definitely gonna look in to these

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good plan too build a bonett or partly enclosed box too keep the generator out of the element's on the cold cold days...

The carburetors on some of the gas engine generators start too slowly ice up when there power'ed up...

My new probable Honda 2200 watt Honda has the built in cold start feature which works awesome at getting it going ,,, after 2 or 3 minutes it starts acting funny...
20240112_113324.jpg

I moved it from this location too the far left under the tarp and it started running smooth...
Fresh Premium fuel ...

Mind you -30 or -40c is pretty chilly air flowing threw the carburetor,,, if im packing it too different locations at the farm i lay the tarp over it with a small vent opening too allow air flow too help keep it kool,,, just a bit of air flow...

A person can feel the air flow with your hand on all air kooled generators,,, limit the air flow increases the temperature in the plastic housing which lessons the chances of cold air from ice-ing up the carb or efi throttle bodys...

The little units are running pretty fast drawing in a good amount of cold air...

Food for thought on those cold cold winter days and nights...

If im using the topper i open both side windows a little bit so it gets fresh air ...

Exshust hazard is present in most situations...

Don

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My parents have a large natural gas generator that kicks in immediately quite the setup ,its the size of a small car and is brand new. They had a carpenter build an enclosure around it with lots of vents. The unit was overheating when testing and they had to remove all the walls and put wire mesh screens. They have a 12K sq ft house and a well lighted yard and lots of outbuildings, they are not power conservers in any way. Don't know there system but when the power goes down it doesn't even flicker, its pretty slick, its on the main line as it enters the dethatched garage prior to the house. Ill get some pics next weekend when im there.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a wooden box built to put over his genny. The vibration shifted things and next thing you know this happened. View attachment 278134

That's a sh!tty deal for sure. You're starting to see lot of off grid builds with dedicated powerhouses built some distance away from the home for this reason. Would suck to loose $50k in generators, batteries, inverters, and charging gear, but at least the house would remain.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thankfully i havent lost power in this cold, did pull an engine though. Diesel heat for the win!

Attachments

• 20240106_162104.jpg
    20240106_162104.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20240106_162115.jpg
    20240106_162115.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20240106_185154.jpg
    20240106_185154.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20240106_185140.jpg
    20240106_185140.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240110_202644.jpg
    20240110_202644.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 84

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true,,, Exshust fumes and fire hazards,,, its a good idea too be keen too what "could" go wrong...

Id hate too burn my truck down little lone a shed or home...

Thanks for sharing,,, time too change a few things

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People who live behind us have a massive built in system inside that building. He runs the backup power every Sunday. It’s not very loud either. They also have a massive house.
Not sure what fuel it runs on.

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 88

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We never had to worry about power when people running the show, got there based on merit. My house is older so i still have a wood stove in the basement.. thank goodness. I can get reserve power from lithium batteries ( which have their own fire issues). And a honda suitcase generator with aspen fuel in it so the thing still starts first pull with 7 year old fuel in it. I do not see the electical supply grid getting better over time with the retard we have at the helm.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either a partial mixture of Premium and 100 LL,,, some folks have had luck running stright 100 LL

5 Year shelf life on that fuel,,, our local air port will sell it too consumers,,, bring a few gas jugs and fill up ...

Yes too some of the suit case or other portable generators moving around on the ground when there runn'ing,,, if a person needs a hood or bonett too block off alot of the cold air it might be a good idea too make it out of galvanized sheeting or something that is fire retardant...

Mind you it could possibly make quite a racket running a generator in a partly enclosed tin box...

Maybe theres a different material a person could use thats fire proof...

Of course this would be for outside operations when its really cold out side

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either a partial mixture of Premium and 100 LL,,, some folks have had luck running stright 100 LL

5 Year shelf life on that fuel,,, our local air port will sell it too consumers,,, bring a few gas jugs and fill up ...

Yes too some of the suit case or other portable generators moving around on the ground when there runn'ing,,, if a person needs a hood or bonett too block off alot of the cold air it might be a good idea too make it out of galvanized sheeting or something that is fire retardant...

Mind you it could possibly make quite a racket running a generator in a partly enclosed tin box...

Maybe theres a different material a person could use thats fire proof...

Of course this would be for outside operations when its really cold out side
50/50 mix worked great for me need some to burn off the lead to keep spark plug clean

Top Bottom