Axys 174 suspension

Tylerlub

Reaction score
looking for some opinions/advise on setting up my 174 axys suspension. Looking for the best possible climbing setup for the chassis and wondering what anyone has found so far got mine setup hard an skis, medium at front of skid and soft on the rear of skid. Seemed like I did a lot of trenching the last few days in comparison to the others I was riding with. Although there was a pile of snow and sled is on break in. Any ideas are appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For climbing stiffen the rear shock and soften the front plus shorten your limiter strap too. Will definitely help reduce trenching.

Tylerlub

Reaction score
Do you normally pull the sway bar with that set up? I imagine there must be a lot of ski pressure I find skis are fairly well planted on the snow as it is.

Tylerlub

Reaction score
Add a turbo....just say'in
Ya was thinking about getting one but not sure if I want to had trouble with previous systems and said I wouldn't put myself through that again. Seems better of to just keep upgrading every 2 years with minor mods. Enjoy the few thousand Kms with warranty and hopefully no issues. Sure is tempting tho!

keno

Reaction score
I had a turbo and spent more time fixing and wasted trips I now have stock axys 155 pull the rope and ride. Like friend told me stock or walk

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya was thinking about getting one but not sure if I want to had trouble with previous systems and said I wouldn't put myself through that again. Seems better of to just keep upgrading every 2 years with minor mods. Enjoy the few thousand Kms with warranty and hopefully no issues. Sure is tempting tho!

My redline kit rips and zero issues so far. I've had a lot of turbos and this kit seems to be about the toon of the list. I agree though it's nice to run new sleds every couple years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For climbing stiffen the rear shock and soften the front plus shorten your limiter strap too. Will definitely help reduce trenching.

Not exactly the way we did it on the circuit but hey each to their own. Very odd set up. ???????????

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is how thread's like we had recently on 163 out climb's 174 happen's. People giving inexperienced or uninformed advice and don't really know how to setup a suspension for climbing or even just deep snow riding.

Read the above info. it all apply's to your bone stock suspension.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the way we did it on the circuit but hey each to their own. Very odd set up. ???????????
Should be tighten the limit strap, slack off front shock, tighten up rear

To keep skis down and less trenching

sent while drinking tea's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be tighten the limit strap, slack off front shock, tighten up rear

To keep skis down and less trenching

Nope, sorry Jeffery.
Your limiter strap is where so many people mess up the suspension and the bad advice being given here. Read the up link posted by DC. No use for me to explain because no one will believe me.....it is a forum LOL.

So my point here is no you would not shorten the limiter strap. So can someone tell me why that is a mistake?

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, sorry Jeffery.
Your limiter strap is where so many people mess up the suspension and the bad advice being given here. Read the up link posted by DC. No use for me to explain because no one will believe me.....it is a forum LOL.

So my point here is no you would not shorten the limiter strap. So can someone tell me why that is a mistake?
Yes with him adding stiffer springs and such sure

But for stock suspension, stock springs

Tighten limit strap I found 2 holes tighter, slacked front spring with just enough to keep spring tight and rear maxed out

Made a big difference compared to the stock skid setup

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, all I get from reading BR's info I should buy all his stuff?
I expected more from a company rep.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes with him adding stiffer springs and such sure

But for stock suspension, stock springs

Tighten limit strap I found 2 holes tighter, slacked front spring with just enough to keep spring tight and rear maxed out

Made a big difference compared to the stock skid setup

Hmmm, all I get from reading BR's info I should buy all his stuff?
I expected more from a company rep.......

OK, let see if i can explain a bit here. The theory is the same on a stock skid or mod skid.
The first thing is the front limit straps are used for one thing and one thing only, this is why there is very little adjustment to a limit strap on a mountain sled.
That is setting "ski pressure". Lessen or increase. Ski lift should strictly be done with the rear scissor.
Here is the problem with tightening the limit strap for mountain use and especially hill climbing. You are essentially making your track shorter by decreasing the track foot print down pressure by almost a third of the track's length, you are also making the sled more unpredictable as it will have less track surface to ride on.
Leaving the limit strap loose will allow full skid and track contact to the snow maximizing traction. NOW that's good but what about ski lift?
Ski lift should be completely control by the rear scissor like i mentioned and it is also mentioned in the article. The problem arises with the fact that OEM sled's are generic and rear spring's are essentially weaker for an all purpose ride, most 800 sleds are setup for rider's ranging from 180-200lbs.
Lots of guys think nothing of buying a "can" for $350-400, maybe getting proper springs to match their weight would be a better upgrade, just thinking out loud. Either way in a nut shell the problem with tightening the limit strap is not proper suspension setup for back country riding and especially climbing.
BTW, you can get rear scissor locks that are adjustable that really help in ski lift.

A way to think about this is "tight limit strap equal shorter track", "loose limit strap equal longer track".

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting article by Brett and I'm sure it works well for him as when I rode with him he was amazing! He is also only about 140 lbs soaking wet which is almost 100 lbs less than I. I don't claim to be a suspension expert and I don't sell exotic shock and spring set ups either. I do know that for my 163 x 3 Axys it trenched horribly with skis wildly up in the air out of control with the stock set up. Tightening up the rear shock, and loosening the front made it better. Shortening the limiter strap made it much better. Costs me nothing to try and easy to switch back if needed. I think this set up allows the front of the skid to collapse while rear stays firm keeping a shallower attack angle to allow sled to climb out of its hole.! Added ski pressure keeps skis down when climbing keeping MORE track in contact with snow on climbs, not less....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is important to differentiate the difference between ski lift and ski pressure. They are two very different qualities of the snowmobile, while they both can work together they also can work against each other.
Ski pressure is the static weight applied to the ski's, it is adjusted via limit strap. It is a percentage of the snowmobile weight carried by the front suspension and ski's. Loosen the limit strap and now more weight will be carried by the rear suspension. Tighten the limit strap and now you are increasing the weight being carried by the front suspension.

Ski lift on the other hand doesn't change the amount of percentage weight being carried by the front suspension and ski's or steering effort required or stress on front suspension components such as shock's and springs.
Ski lift is basically the ability of a snowmobile under its power to articulate its weight, including front suspension and ski's out of the snow. It does this by pivoting the weight through transfer at the rear scissor while maintaining full track contact and drivability.
Ski lift is completely controlled by rear spring pressure and shock. My advice to anyone that experiences excessive ski lift to look into a heavier set of springs or if your looking for serious climbing capabilities without going into big money a rear scissor lock out or controller.

YES you can slow ski lift by increasing ski pressure via limit strap being tighten up, but remember what i said earlier, while they both can work together they also can work against each other. Pulling the limit strap kinda defeats the idea of improving the climbing ability, simply because you now shorten your foot print and traction on the snow.

Now here is the scenario being considered earlier for climbing and back country riding.
By tightening the limit strap, you have now essentially increased the ski pressure(weight being carried by the ski's), decreased track foot print(raising the rail tips and limiting track down pressure). ????? don't think it will work well.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting article by Brett and I'm sure it works well for him as when I rode with him he was amazing! He is also only about 140 lbs soaking wet which is almost 100 lbs less than I. I don't claim to be a suspension expert and I don't sell exotic shock and spring set ups either. I do know that for my 163 x 3 Axys it trenched horribly with skis wildly up in the air out of control with the stock set up. Tightening up the rear shock, and loosening the front made it better. Shortening the limiter strap made it much better. Costs me nothing to try and easy to switch back if needed. I think this set up allows the front of the skid to collapse while rear stays firm keeping a shallower attack angle to allow sled to climb out of its hole.! Added ski pressure keeps skis down when climbing keeping MORE track in contact with snow on climbs, not less....

I understand your situation as i'm in the 250 range geared up. Here are some things i think would benefit you hugely. I would look into a heavier rear spring setup from Polaris for the rear scissor. Remember one thing, sleds are not built for big guys like you or me. Spring are not that expensive, i know as i've had to do the same.
I would also look into a basic rear scissor lockout, "IF" your into climbing a fair amount. Again you need to remember sleds are built for the average rider with an average weight. As soon as you push these limits you will run into these scenario's your running into.
At that point, relax the front limit strap and set your rear springs for your weight and style and i almost guaranteed you will love the difference.

Top Bottom