Avalanches on weekend

Radical Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody witness the two slides on Sunday I believe we're at Lucille,had buddy that was there and rode into and through one then crashed and dislocated his shoulder.I wasn't there myself but heard was bad.They new the risk was high but ignored the warnings,very lucky man

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody witness the two slides on Sunday I believe we're at Lucille,had buddy that was there and rode into and through one then crashed and dislocated his shoulder.I wasn't there myself but heard was bad.They new the risk was high but ignored the warnings,very lucky man
Was up Lucille all day Sunday. Did not see or hear of anything.....

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think this happened in Renshaw.. Not 100% sure on the avalanche portion though, just know somebody had to be lifted out by helicopter due to injury.

Radical Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends he was with put his shoulder back in,he rode out in pain,but at least he was able to ride.He knows better not sure what was going through his head at the time.( obviously not much)

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked at how many people are shocked by the Avalanche activity on the weekend past. All over facebook and snow and mud the bad conditions were posted. Also the news during the week. Also Avalanche Canada's website. Not to mention Curtis from Varda posting all winter about the bad layers which are so significant he calls them by the dates they became an issue. Lower probability and high consequences. For those who don't know the definition. It means your guts will come out your eyeballs. Please ride safe. Be chicken. Leave your balls at home and pack your brains.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lower probably and high consequences ==== sketchy as hell

If you don't know what that means, you need to take a ast 1-1.5 course and or retake it

sent while drinking tea's

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked at how many people are shocked by the Avalanche activity on the weekend past. All over facebook and snow and mud the bad conditions were posted. Also the news during the week. Also Avalanche Canada's website. Not to mention Curtis from Varda posting all winter about the bad layers which are so significant he calls them by the dates they became an issue. Lower probability and high consequences. For those who don't know the definition. It means your guts will come out your eyeballs. Please ride safe. Be chicken. Leave your balls at home and pack your brains.

Not shocked at all the Avys. More shocked at how many riding sketchy slopes. We didn't see one natural.
Still surprising how many guys feel the need to "long dick". their buddies
WITH ALL THIS INFORMATION !!!!
I posted pics of the red sands slide in the Blue River thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radical Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The slides were in the Renshaw and I agree with a lot of folks,on the way people make choices even when all the information is gathered,like Sledtillded posted above I belive that this is what buddies were doing tying to out climb each other for the gold metal and dam near ended up in a pine box due to ignoring all the warnings and using balls instead of brains.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode Allen on Saturday, and Redsands on Sunday. While at Allen we were way in the back and saw a natural avalanche on a steep south facing slope. It was good to see that there were zero tracks heading up to the slope. As for the avalanche that happened at Redsands, it was snowmobile triggered. Our group was playing lower in the trees and would poke up well below the approach to the face that let go. A group of 4 pulled up to the bottom of the hill. Sounds like one guy took a low poke at the hill and came down, turned around and was going to take another run at it. Second guy in the group hit the throttle and took a long, high pull on the slope. Cut left towards the top to turn out and set off the slide. The three guys in the group realized what was happening and hit the gas to ride out of the way. Two sleds were facing the hill and to the right while the other sled was facing away and to the left. The two sleds facing the hill managed to avoid the debris field entirely. This is about the time one of the guys in my group pulled up through the trees to see the slide. The snow was just coming to a stop as he pulled up by the two riders that avoided the slide. They were focused on the guy up top, pulling out there beacons, and trying to get him on the radio. I pulled up about 15 seconds behind him and we were both asking how many guys were in their group. They said 1, assuming we were asking how many riders were missing. From me and my buddies position we could see a guy up top (standing at this point) in an orange onesie, letting them know he look ok. They then tried to get the 4th guy in the group on the radio with no response. I asked which direction he headed when the slide happened, and he said down hill and to the left (if looking up from the bottom). Myself, my buddy, and one guy from their group took off on our sleds in the general direction he was heading in. Within 10 seconds, the guy from the other group spotted a helmet and headed towards it. Before we could react to where he headed me and my buddy spotted the rear bumper of the missing riders sled. I was about 30 feet closer to the left of the hill and as I slowed down, I spotted the missing riders glove waving. He had managed to dig his own head out but was encased in the snow between 8 inches (upper body) and 24 inches (lower body). He was remarkable calm, but that was most likely due to the shock he was in. As we dug him out the other two riders in our group showed up. We took our time digging him out, ensuring we did jab him as we were digging, and asking him how his body was positioned along the way. He twisted/banged his knee up at some point and couldn't put any weight on it. The two other guys in our crew, along with one guy from their crew drove up to first flat spot and located and began digging out orange onesies sled. By this point two other riding groups showed up. We dug out the buried guys sled with about 10 guys shovelling. The sled was almost vertical with the rear two feet of the tunnel sticking out when we started. The hole was almost 9 feet deep when we were finished. By the time it was all said and done almost everyone riding Redlands had come up to assist and ensure everyone was ok. The sled was at the very bottom on the debris field and everyone had parked in a safe location.

So now some things we found out. Onesie guy had an abs bag on but did not have the pull handle in. Once he realized he was caught in an avalanche, he made 3 attempts to deploy the airbag before he realized it wasn't there. He also did not ride with a shovel.

The guy that was buried did not wear a chin strip on his helmet. (I myself am guilty of this, well was, as I will always wear it now). I was very surprised his helmet popped off.

Two riders are very lucky to be able to ride out and hit the highway home to their families. The whole avalanche lasted 10-15 seconds, the buried rider was located within a minute and a half.

One written off XM 163"

One written off G4 165"

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The slides were in the Renshaw and I agree with a lot of folks,on the way people make choices even when all the information is gathered,like Sledtillded posted above I belive that this is what buddies were doing tying to out climb each other for the gold metal and dam near ended up in a pine box due to ignoring all the warnings and using balls instead of brains.

Explains the helicopter up over that area Sunday afternoon when we returned to the hotel then.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode Allen on Saturday, and Redsands on Sunday. While at Allen we were way in the back and saw a natural avalanche on a steep south facing slope. It was good to see that there were zero tracks heading up to the slope. As for the avalanche that happened at Redsands, it was snowmobile triggered. Our group was playing lower in the trees and would poke up well below the approach to the face that let go. A group of 4 pulled up to the bottom of the hill. Sounds like one guy took a low poke at the hill and came down, turned around and was going to take another run at it. Second guy in the group hit the throttle and took a long, high pull on the slope. Cut left towards the top to turn out and set off the slide. The three guys in the group realized what was happening and hit the gas to ride out of the way. Two sleds were facing the hill and to the right while the other sled was facing away and to the left. The two sleds facing the hill managed to avoid the debris field entirely. This is about the time one of the guys in my group pulled up through the trees to see the slide. The snow was just coming to a stop as he pulled up by the two riders that avoided the slide. They were focused on the guy up top, pulling out there beacons, and trying to get him on the radio. I pulled up about 15 seconds behind him and we were both asking how many guys were in their group. They said 1, assuming we were asking how many riders were missing. From me and my buddies position we could see a guy up top (standing at this point) in an orange onesie, letting them know he look ok. They then tried to get the 4th guy in the group on the radio with no response. I asked which direction he headed when the slide happened, and he said down hill and to the left (if looking up from the bottom). Myself, my buddy, and one guy from their group took off on our sleds in the general direction he was heading in. Within 10 seconds, the guy from the other group spotted a helmet and headed towards it. Before we could react to where he headed me and my buddy spotted the rear bumper of the missing riders sled. I was about 30 feet closer to the left of the hill and as I slowed down, I spotted the missing riders glove waving. He had managed to dig his own head out but was encased in the snow between 8 inches (upper body) and 24 inches (lower body). He was remarkable calm, but that was most likely due to the shock he was in. As we dug him out the other two riders in our group showed up. We took our time digging him out, ensuring we did jab him as we were digging, and asking him how his body was positioned along the way. He twisted/banged his knee up at some point and couldn't put any weight on it. The two other guys in our crew, along with one guy from their crew drove up to first flat spot and located and began digging out orange onesies sled. By this point two other riding groups showed up. We dug out the buried guys sled with about 10 guys shovelling. The sled was almost vertical with the rear two feet of the tunnel sticking out when we started. The hole was almost 9 feet deep when we were finished. By the time it was all said and done almost everyone riding Redlands had come up to assist and ensure everyone was ok. The sled was at the very bottom on the debris field and everyone had parked in a safe location.

So now some things we found out. Onesie guy had an abs bag on but did not have the pull handle in. Once he realized he was caught in an avalanche, he made 3 attempts to deploy the airbag before he realized it wasn't there. He also did not ride with a shovel.

The guy that was buried did not wear a chin strip on his helmet. (I myself am guilty of this, well was, as I will always wear it now). I was very surprised his helmet popped off.

Two riders are very lucky to be able to ride out and hit the highway home to their families. The whole avalanche lasted 10-15 seconds, the buried rider was located within a minute and a half.

One written off XM 163"

One written off G4 165"

Thanks for this.

So after seeing what you say, you recommend doing up the helmet strap? I too leave mine undone, thinking it will be better if I'm under snow with snow packed in the helmet restricting my breathing, being able to move the helmet more due to no strap. I could be wrong though.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One written off XM 163"

One written off G4 165"
Nice to hear of others stopping to help out.

I heard there was lots of spectators at the multi burial avalanche in Allen Creek but not any helpers.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this.

So after seeing what you say, you recommend doing up the helmet strap? I too leave mine undone, thinking it will be better if I'm under snow with snow packed in the helmet restricting my breathing, being able to move the helmet more due to no strap. I could be wrong though.

No expert here, but from what I have read there is a high percentage of avalanche fatalities due to crushing injuries while being tumbled with trees boulders and chunks of snow the size of small cars. You want your helmet on your head.........

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this.

I think if you are buried you are not going to be able to move.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you are buried you are not going to be able to move.

Yes speaking from experience. Once the snow stops moving it packs in almost as hard as cement. I was only up to my waist but I had to dig my own legs out in order to even free myself.

Top Bottom