Are ABS packs being used as a security blanket?

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a few guys that figure they are safer because they have ABS packs. Is it cuz they they have the packs or cuz they are in there early to mid 20's and think they are invicable? How has your riding changed with your ABS, or has it?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say its because they are in there 20's. All the hardcore of our group has bags and we still do snowpits and highmark one at a time WHEN conditions allow. Hopefully people don't think everything is fine cause they have a bag . It only keeps you on top when involved in a slide, you can still smack rocks and trees on the way down. Play smart after getting trained would be my advice....but we're mostly old gezzers in our 40's.:twocents:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that alot of the fatalities in snowmobile avalanche deaths involve males in the 20 - 35 range (high testosterone, something to prove, nothing is going to happen to me attitude) I know I once was there many years ago in a galaxy far far away. Back to the ABS packs you should approach them as another tool in your arsenal of avalanche protection and don't rely on them as a security blanket and never let your avalanche safety awareness down. I talked to a gentlemen who was caught in an avalanche and he felt an ABS pack would not have done him any good, he just did not have the time to set the pack off. The avalanche happened so fast. He now wears one but he said he does not depend on it to save him in an avalanche that it is just another tool for his protection.

Billy Boy:cool:

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride real hard......But i ride scared too when it's needed. Packs are just a small percentage increaser is all. Gotta use all your abilities and be smart.....still never know. :twocents:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only difference my ABS pack makes to me is I feel safer when I'm stuck high on a slope(happens very Seldom)and am digging myself out.I carry two shovels,one in my sled and one in my ABS pack which I never take off when i'm digging high up on a slope,I use the one in my sled!
Why do I set myself up like this??????????????????
catmando!

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you new this was coming...................AT LEAST YA KNOW YOUR GOING TO NEED TO BE PREPARED TO GET STUCK LOTS .!!!! :D

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only difference my ABS pack makes to me is I feel safer when I'm stuck high on a slope(happens very Seldom)and am digging myself out.I carry two shovels,one in my sled and one in my ABS pack which I never take off when i'm digging high up on a slope,I use the one in my sled!
Why do I set myself up like this??????????????????
catmando!

Seldom stuck eh?..... 2 shovels, great idea. I think the one in your pack is for shoveling the Bull-kaka. You don't want that on your sled Catmando.... You almost had me........ Till you said "seldom stuck" and "way up there".Baahhahahhhhahaaa:D You are a funny guy.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have the ABS pack and I would say I would rather have that on if an avalanche just happened to hit, than to suddenly think "Man I should of had one of those", and now its too late. I would sooner have 2 broken legs and a broken arm than to be buried 3 meters down. Every snowmobile show for the last 3 years Ive said, I should by one, naa.. next year, this year I finally made the plunge, I noticed alot of others have too, that booth was very busy. Just because I have the ABS pack on doesn't mean im invincible either, I just may have one more chance if im ever caught in an avalanche.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am same as rknight on this one. I put off buying one for years until finally my wife said look at what we spend on trucks,trailers,and sleds etc... The ABS pack is the cheapest thing next to our peeps that will give you a fighting chance against avy. I don't ride less careless with it on actually I think I ride safer and more aware of my conditions then I was prior to my ABS pack. Maybe its because I am constantly watching my surroundings ready to pull that handle at a moments notice. Take me home beatup and battered but still take me home.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the ABS pack and I would say I would rather have that on if an avalanche just happened to hit, than to suddenly think "Man I should of had one of those", and now its too late. I would sooner have 2 broken legs and a broken arm than to be buried 3 meters down. Every snowmobile show for the last 3 years Ive said, I should by one, naa.. next year, this year I finally made the plunge, I noticed alot of others have too, that booth was very busy. Just because I have the ABS pack on doesn't mean im invincible either, I just may have one more chance if im ever caught in an avalanche.

You for got to tell everyone how it saved you from the big avy in your hotel room,lol!.......good thing you pulled the handle in time ! LOL! LMAO!
catmando!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a avy coming at the Renshaw cabin and set my bag off. Did the 4 guys next to us ever laugh....friggin cold fingers pulling trigger out!!!!!!!!:eek:

Reaction score
I stopped and told a couple of guys that they were playing in a known avalanche zone.No ABS and just drove by the sign saying don't stop.I feel more comfortable wearing and being with people wearing an ABS.I know of three different false deployments including mine at 6:30 am in the hotel.

Top Bottom