Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000i H.O

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any comments on thos machine? ie good or bad, worth a purchase or?

Im looking into a new side by side nxt mth so just doing my due-diligence atm. Im down to the Can-Am, RZR and this Cat...

Thx
GB

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy bought one. Friggin insane. The suspension is like nothing you have ever ridden in. No comparison to anything.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you plan to ride,they are more suited to the wide open than any other ones........??

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I test drove them ... And wow definitely impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you plan to ride,they are more suited to the wide open than any other ones........??

Well I luv my dunes etc BUT tight mud trails and cut-lines are gunna be my most utilized option for my immediate home surroundings.

BUT I agree with what your saying..

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
Well I luv my dunes etc BUT tight mud trails and cut-lines are gunna be my most utilized option for my immediate home surroundings.

BUT I agree with what your saying..
I've never ridden one, I only know what I've been told, they don't turn as good as the others, so manuvering on tighter trails is a little more challenging, and the four wheel drive is by far inferiour to that of the polaris, also something else to consider there arn't that many out there yet, so relability hasn't been proven yet. Canams are rough rideing over priced farm machines.

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
the same scale that the can am's on, the only thing the can am has on those machines is a huge price tag, and the bigger engine, otherwise they are not much different, there are only currently two companies making a SPORT UTV, cat and polaris. Do your homework, commanders are not listed under the sport catagory.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the same scale that the can am's on, the only thing the can am has on those machines is a huge price tag, and the bigger engine, otherwise they are not much different, there are only currently two companies making a SPORT UTV, cat and polaris. Do your homework, commanders are not listed under the sport catagory.
I understand there are only two pure sport SxS machines....but not to many farm utility vehicles can hit 65/70 mph....but hey, you're the expert. LOL.

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
In my mind its either a sport UTV, or a regular utv, if I'm a city boy I'd buy a sport, if I was a farmer I'd buy regular (as a regular has many more uses than just trail rideing and mudding wnen it comes to farming).....hence a farm machine, or hunting machine. But I agree that its kinda silly that a non-sport UTV can hit those high speeds, its kinda like putting a jet engine in a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited:

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can Am will settle this the same way it aways does. With a massive release that dominates the competetion. Cant wait for 2013. I just hope it puts huge emphasis on the suspension like cat did.

If i had to buy this moment based on pure fun factor, the wildcat would be the clear winner. We have assume the wildcat is solid until proven otherwise.

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
Can Am will settle this the same way it aways does. With a massive release that dominates the competetion. Cant wait for 2013. I just hope it puts huge emphasis on the suspension like cat did.

If i had to buy this moment based on pure fun factor, the wildcat would be the clear winner. We have assume the wildcat is solid until proven otherwise.
lol, considering it has arctic cat written all over it, I wouldn't assume its solid, thats for sure, especially after the sled year they just had, hahahahaha.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You must be kidding ,right..............?? Lets take a look at the wild cat:
Power:
About 77 hp ,way less than the rzr 900(88HP) or the canam 1000(85HP).How does it put it to the ground,through a wet clutch,so there goes all your performance. Again, falls WAY behind the rzr900 and the canam..........Watch some Vids of the Wildcat in the dunes. It is turning around halfway up hills, because it can`t climb the hills that a 900 RZR is launching off the top of...........lol. Let`s look at the FUN factor,what power mods are out for a 1000 wildcat,hmmm. Nothing yet,because you have to get rid of the wet clutch first,as it can not handle over 80HP...........Yet you can put a low boost turbo,on a 900 xp for under 3000$. That will give you a minimum of 125 RELIABLE HP at the crank,that my friend is fun factor !!!
Reliability:
Both the Canam and the RZR900 are proven Reliable with MINIMAL problems,so far. The 900xp has dominated most ,if not all forms of racing so far. Be it Mud,GNCC,Dessert,Cross country, etc etc............Despite what my Good friend TEEbrp claims the majority of these races only allow minor Mods, NO major engine&drive line mods...............
So i would say the 900 XP is next to Bullet proof ,for a stock machine. The axles are crap,i will admit,but lots of power,jumping and big tires breaks axles on most machines.............

The wildcat shares most of it`s DNA from the prowler and the original thundercat ATV..........The later might go down in history as one of the most troublesome atvs ever built. I have owned 5 cat quads ,all with either Suzuki or Kawi motors and they were great . Once CAT started making their own motors/drive line, the reliability went down the tubes,BIG TIME.......
I hope cat has worked on the reliabilty to improve it over the previous 1000`s, if not the wildcat will fall in the same category as the previous cat 1000`s,just a blip on the radar screen!!! First reports seem pretty dissapointing though .

Design:
The RZR has the best all around sport design,because it excels in all types of riding areas. Where as with the 8 inch longer wheelbase the cat is more purely dunes.
Again you can build the RZR rather easily for all types of terrain,you can not shorten the CAT up,or Narrow the cat up. But you can with the 900 XP. The Canam was outdated before it was even released,with out long travel.
One flaw that will really hurt the new cat and will take away the fun factor in a hurry is there front end. Some one decided to put the front tie rods ,down low IN FRONT of the A arms, nice..........That should work well out on the trails !!
Suspension:
I think this is where the Cat shines,does it makeup for the other deficiencies, probably not. If your trail riding,it will make little difference. REMEMBER,the lenght of the wheelbase adds to its smooth ride,However at a high cost on the tight trails............
In the fast pace whoops it will help,no dought. Again though throw a new set of shocks on the 900xp and it rivals the Wildcat,plus is lighter ,faster, with more HP and has a superior clutching& 4x4 system.

I think Cat bet the farm on this and i don`t like the way it is looking for them right now.....

Last edited:

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
you must be kidding ,right..............?? Lets take a look at the wild cat:
Power:
About 77 hp ,way less than the rzr 900(88hp) or the canam 1000(85hp).how does it put it to the ground,through a wet clutch,so there goes all your performance,again falls way behind the rzr900 and the canam..........watch some vids of the wildcat in the dunes, it is turning around halfway because it can`t climb the hills,that a 900 rzr if launching off the top of...........lol. Let`s look at the fun factor,what power mods are out for a 1000 wildcat,hmmm. Nothing yet,because you have to get rid of the wet clutch first,as it can not handle over 80hp...........yet you can put a low boost turbo,on a 900 xp for under 3000$. That will give you a minimum of 125 reliable hp at the crank,that my friend is fun factor !!!
Reliability:
Both the canam and the rzr900 are proven reliable with minimal problems,so far. The 900xp has dominated most ,if not all forms of racing so far. Be it mud,gncc,dessert,cross country, etc etc............despite what my good friend tee claims the majority of these races onle allow minor mods, no major engine&drive line mods...............so i would say the 900 xp is next to bullet proof ,for a stock machine. The axles are crap,i will admit,but lots of power,jumping and big tires breaks axles on most macines.............
The wildcat shares most of it`s dna from the prowler and the original thundercat atv..........the later might go down in history as one of the most troublesome atvs ever built. I have owned 5 cat quads ,all with either suzuki or kawi motors . Once cat started making their own motors/drive line, the reliability went down the tubes,big time.......i hope cat has worked on the reliabilty to improve it over the previous 1000`s,if not the wildcat will fall in the same category as the previous cat 1000`s,just a blip on the radar screen!!!
Design:
The rzr has the best all around sport design,because it excels in all types of riding areas. Where as with the 8 inch longer wheelbase the cat is more purely dunes. Again you can build the rzr rather easily for all types of terrain,you can not shorten the cat up,or narrow the cat up,like you can with the 900 xp. The canam was outdated before it was even released,with out long travel.
One flaw that will really hurt the new cat and will take away the fun factor in a hurry is there front end. Some one decided to put the front tie rods ,dow low in front of the a arms, nice..........that should work well out on the trails !!
Suspension:
I think this is where the cat shines,does it makeup for the other deficiencies, probably not. If your trail riding,it will make little difference. In the fast pace whoops it will help,no dought.again though throw a new set of shocks on the 900 and it rivals the wildcat,plus is lighter ,faster,and has a superior clutching& 4x4 system.

I think cat bet the farm on this and i don`t like the way it is looking for them right now.....
a huge x2

Top Bottom