apex /rzr motor swap

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What RZR are you modding? A 1000 or a 900? I've been gonna do my own machine (2012 900) but was thinking about doing a Nytro motor. I have a customer talking about me building him one but hasn't decided yet. I have seen them done and they work real good! I found a saddle that you can buy to install the Apex motor and a rh rear shock relocation kit. I know they work real well and are semi reliable if you drive them right. Are you gonna run a stock motor or turboed? I have a Raptor with an R-1 engine, I've put 670's in Scramblers and transplanted lots of sled motors. You can call me at my shop dayime, 403.748.2219, Dan, Extreme Machines
Hey I have a 08 nytro on s,n,m. Great runner just in case your looking for a sled to strip. Supercharged nytro stage two. Ballance of sled can be parted, full aftermarket stuff, be a great sled as a turn key or for you motor projects. 5k gst, just saying.

Last edited:

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What RZR are you modding? A 1000 or a 900? I've been gonna do my own machine (2012 900) but was thinking about doing a Nytro motor. I have a customer talking about me building him one but hasn't decided yet. I have seen them done and they work real good! I found a saddle that you can buy to install the Apex motor and a rh rear shock relocation kit. I know they work real well and are semi reliable if you drive them right. Are you gonna run a stock motor or turboed? I have a Raptor with an R-1 engine, I've put 670's in Scramblers and transplanted lots of sled motors. You can call me at my shop dayime, 403.748.2219, Dan, Extreme Machines

please keep us updated on a build thread if you do go this route it would be awesome. I would still go z1 turbo conversion my self but still it's always fun to see stoooopid power in a small machine.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 08 nytro on s,n,m. Great runner just in case your looking for a sled to strip. Supercharged nytro stage two. Ballance of sled can be parted, full aftermarket stuff, be a great sled as a turn key or for you motor projects. 5k gst, just saying.
I was thinking about a supercharger since the throttle responce would be so nice in the RZR. Problem is I'm gonna try and build a clutch cover so I can ride it out west, and trying to seal the belt drive up for mud as well, would be a nightmare. The supercharger would be better in the dunes and desert though. I ride Glamis and the desert around Yuma AZ in the winter and I believe the super charger would be better for that though, so I'm still deciding what way to go. The turboed ones don't have much lag though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURf4-G0spA

Last edited:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a supercharger since the throttle responce would be so nice in the RZR. Problem is I'm gonna try and build a clutch cover so I can ride it out west, and trying to seal the belt drive up for mud as well, would be a nightmare. The supercharger would be better in the dunes and desert though. I ride Glamis and the desert around Yuma AZ in the winter and I believe the super charger would be better for that though, so I'm still deciding what way to go. The turboed ones don't have much lag though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURf4-G0spA
Yes the super is so fast off the start. Just thought I'd throw it out there as complete running nytro motors are not so readlily available. Love to see the sand fly with that kida ponies. I'm riding the bc backcountry with a xp900 and find most of my riding is slow tecky trails so big hp is not needed. More of a crawler thing.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah someone should buy freeflorider's nytro for something like this. 5k is a freaking steal. Would give you everything you need and still be able to sell a bunch of parts off of it to offset the cost.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was a guy in white court or something that did this. He had an ad on kijji. I am really interested in doing this but do not want to be the guinea pig for it. If someone would flat rate this....on the install I would be all in.

GrizzlyAddict

Reaction score
So has anyone heard or found out anyone/shop that does the engine swaps? Been looking at the Z1 swap and am very interested so long is will hold up out in the skeg. Friggin popo engine fell apart after 750miles...garbage. Never swamped, overheated, or ran out of oil....just crap product. Anyone do engine rebuilds that have lasted? Anyone know a local seller that sells the kits here in Canada? looking to fix the always broken popo.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't know anyone in Canada but a guy on rzrforums.com sells complete kits for good prices ......I forget his name but if you search rzr motor rebuild parts or post what your looking for he will message you ....He's a forum vendor over there (I wana say his name is swingarm)

My advise sell it and upgrade to a 900xp or newer 900 with the new release of the rzr's last night the 800 dinosaur just took another big resale value hit.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What on earth would possess anyone to
put all that power in a rzr s / rzr 800 chassis ??
when you can buy a 1000 XP for 20 ish k...

The suspension / handling / drive line wil not handle it...in the older chassis....with out major $$$$ upgrades..!

The key to a fast SXS is suspension , THEN ....power......

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What on earth would possess anyone to
put all that power in a rzr s / rzr 800 chassis ??
when you can buy a 1000 XP for 20 ish k...

The suspension / handling / drive line wil not handle it...in the older chassis....with out major $$$$ upgrades..!

The key to a fast SXS is suspension , THEN ....power......

Pftt! Suspension is for pussies power is for real men! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrizzlyAddict

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it's the 800, 900, or 1000...the engines are **** and not reliable. I was looking at taking either an apex or z1 and fitting it into a 2011 900xp frame. Provide more power, torque, and best of all relaibility. Maybe even get to do a ride without something breaking. :) only downside is the upfront cost....over top of the $15-20k already invested in popo boat anchor.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A stock RZR's cage and frame is a joke(goes for all new SxS's) If you are going to be using these things for high speed
use, you really should look at this:

This is what it will look like after a hard roll, good chance you will DIE.

616e7775.jpg

broken can-am.jpg

You need to do some thing like this, if you plan on going 60mph+ off road and value your life.
And a bolt on cage wont be much better than stock.

2014-polaris-rzr-xp-1000-sxs-rollcage-built.jpg

Get some 4 or 5 point harnesses too. The stock shoulder belt wont hold you in during a serious roll over.

Just something to think about if you're building a high HP SxS:beer:

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in conclusion, power,drive line and suspension are big factors in a fast off road vehicle. The MOST important one is the Chassis and Cage.

That is where these things are failing miserably. These things are not Race Vehicles, they are just dangerous toys(in factory form)

30g expensive? haha check out a 250,000$ sxs.... Main thing is he will LIVE when it rolls.

images.jpeg

Last edited:

GrizzlyAddict

Reaction score
The drive train might not be happy with all that torque...but it's easier to deal with then failing motors. That apex was sweet and all good till he launched it and stayed on the gas...tires bite hard when landing and break anything...no different then heavy duty 4x4s. I agree with beefing up he roll cages if u plan on high speeds or in general. I did the bolt on kit cuz I'm not looking for 100mph riding...save that for street vehicles, I'm looking for tire turning, mud throwing, axle snapping power to rip threw the mud. It will inevitably destroy the front diff and probably the rear, but those can be upgraded when they go. It would just be cool to be able to finish a ride without having to tear the motor out and fix something every time.
cool vids and pics

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The drive train might not be happy with all that torque...but it's easier to deal with then failing motors. That apex was sweet and all good till he launched it and stayed on the gas...tires bite hard when landing and break anything...no different then heavy duty 4x4s. I agree with beefing up he roll cages if u plan on high speeds or in general. I did the bolt on kit cuz I'm not looking for 100mph riding...save that for street vehicles, I'm looking for tire turning, mud throwing, axle snapping power to rip threw the mud. It will inevitably destroy the front diff and probably the rear, but those can be upgraded when they go. It would just be cool to be able to finish a ride without having to tear the motor out and fix something every time.
cool vids and pics

That is one of the nicer Apex RZRs I've seen, lots of vids of it. The Turbo Apex ones are Nutz, they will cat walk! haha

I think if your just mud bogging and such, and understand the machines limitations you're fine.(with the stock or bolt on cage)

Just I see guys jumping these things and hauling azz and some seem to think the stock cage will save them if they wreck.
(good chance it wont) They are even marketing these things now as wannabe trophy trucks, but they are mass produced plastic toys.
They are still tons of fun on the trail and they are getting very popular, just not built all that safe.

Good luck on ur build though, Apex motor is a great choice! Cant wait to see Yamaha's new SxS. Hope it has a solid cage, chassis!:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom