Anyone see this at Kakwa

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates on how the kid is doing? I was out there that day just hoping he is ok.

He is doing Ok, and is thankful that it didn't turn out worse. I talked to him last night and he doesn't remember much and I'm not going to pry for details.

I think the spot is a great idea to get a message out, however like stated before it seems to get minds racing and doesn't get feedback to the people in need.

NYTRO-270

Reaction score
He is doing Ok, and is thankful that it didn't turn out worse. I talked to him last night and he doesn't remember much and I'm not going to pry for details.

I think the spot is a great idea to get a message out, however like stated before it seems to get minds racing and doesn't get feedback to the people in need.

Good to hear! I agree the spots are better then nothing but an iridium sat phone is the best 2 way communication. I have a globalstar currently and its spotty out there.

robhayward

Reaction score
There's been a couple injury's this year and lots of interest in the medical rescue system. Response time and jurisdiction seem to be different per incident and per organization. Kakwa has been a hotspot for discussion about this but the issue will be the same for nearby riding areas. Red Deer Falls, Wolverine, Core lodge, Hasler, Beaver Creek, Old Friend, Bijoux(PK), etc. I wouldn't expect the department/organization to be the same for all our riding areas. We've seen some amazing rescues in previous years and STARS has built an impressive reputation. I hope everyone rides safe and is prepared for injury, isolation, and assisting others as best they can.

I have one question about SPOT rescues; once the HELP or 911 button are activated and the emergency contacts are contacted the GPS coordinates are used to go to the scene. But in some cases you may be able to get to a better landing zone then the original accident location. Does anyone know if the tracking website is used to update the rescue location?

eg. I may get hurt near Mt Ruth and then get back to the Kakwa lake cabin, does the rescue personal know that? as it may make a landing easier (designated landing location).

Also I do know on the SPOTS that if you watch it it will make a signal change to let you know if it is sent. eg. on/off light flashes in unison with the HELP/911/OK light when it's in that sending mode. When it is actually sending it will have that HELP/911/OK light stay on for ~5seconds. It will do that 3 times before kicking out of that mode. If it does not have satellite visibility while in a send mode it will blink in unison and then individually (left right left pattern)

sledhunter

Reaction score
There's been a couple injury's this year and lots of interest in the medical rescue system. Response time and jurisdiction seem to be different per incident and per organization. Kakwa has been a hotspot for discussion about this but the issue will be the same for nearby riding areas. Red Deer Falls, Wolverine, Core lodge, Hasler, Beaver Creek, Old Friend, Bijoux(PK), etc. I wouldn't expect the department/organization to be the same for all our riding areas. We've seen some amazing rescues in previous years and STARS has built an impressive reputation. I hope everyone rides safe and is prepared for injury, isolation, and assisting others as best they can.

I have one question about SPOT rescues; once the HELP or 911 button are activated and the emergency contacts are contacted the GPS coordinates are used to go to the scene. But in some cases you may be able to get to a better landing zone then the original accident location. Does anyone know if the tracking website is used to update the rescue location?

eg. I may get hurt near Mt Ruth and then get back to the Kakwa lake cabin, does the rescue personal know that? as it may make a landing easier (designated landing location).

Also I do know on the SPOTS that if you watch it it will make a signal change to let you know if it is sent. eg. on/off light flashes in unison with the HELP/911/OK light when it's in that sending mode. When it is actually sending it will have that HELP/911/OK light stay on for ~5seconds. It will do that 3 times before kicking out of that mode. If it does not have satellite visibility while in a send mode it will blink in unison and then individually (left right left pattern)
Great post robhayward,
There is lots of interest here for responses into Kakwa simply because it falls into BC jurisdiction and there are regulations in BC that must be followed. You mentioned a few other riding areas that I assume are in Alberta. The pre-planning for those areas is something that the local SAR group in Alberta could develop pre-plans for.
AS for SPOT Messenger activation; they are in effect a 9-1-1 call with no information other than the GPS coordinates. It could be anything from a broken leg to a heart attack or major avalanche with fatalities, we simply don't know. On a SPOT Messenger initiated call into Kakwa last winter I sent a helicopter with two ambulance paramedics, the coroner and the RCMP. Upon arrival there was nobody around. The patient had been moved. We couldn't find him! Someone had used a sat phone to call STARS then moved the patient to a location that I presume was discussed with STARS. That is not the way to do things.
If the sledders that frequent Kakwa chose to have a rescue toboggan kit at one or more of the cabins for example and communicate the intention to move a patient from a known location to a safe location like one of the BC Parks cabins it would be welcome news.
In every event when there is an emergency in Kakwa the best call anyone can make is to the McBride RCMP or BC Ambulance Service. They will ensure that the most appropriate responders are dispatched.
I think we are making great strides towards reducing the response times into Kakwa Park. When we venture into remote areas of our neighbouring provinces help is that much farther away.

Ride SAFE!

Dale Mason
SAR Manager
Robson Valley SAR

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are all snowmobile areas that are in BC.

Red Deer Falls, Wolverine, Core lodge, Hasler, Beaver Creek, Old Friend, Bijoux(PK).

PM me your e-mail, and I'll send you the maps that I have showing the cabin locations where applicable.

We would like to post signs at a few of these locations with the emergency contact numbers, GPS location, and what ever other required info. Your guidance in completeing this task would be greatly appreciated.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dale send them the same 2 pages I have in all the cabins here.

highlandrider

Reaction score
In every event when there is an emergency in Kakwa the best call anyone can make is to the McBride RCMP or BC Ambulance Service. They will ensure that the most appropriate responders are dispatched.

One thing to consider is that most people that ride Kakwa come in from the Alberta side, and when an incident occurs, they tend to call home (Grande Prairie) because they want to end up back where they started. One suggestion is that if a Spot call comes into McBride for the Kakwa, one should call the Grande Prairie and Grande Cache RCMP to see if any responders are dispatched from these locations first. If there is two way communication from Kakwa, GP RCMP and Alberta 911 are the most likely to get the call.

sledhunter

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that most people that ride Kakwa come in from the Alberta side, and when an incident occurs, they tend to call home (Grande Prairie) because they want to end up back where they started. One suggestion is that if a Spot call comes into McBride for the Kakwa, one should call the Grande Prairie and Grande Cache RCMP to see if any responders are dispatched from these locations first. If there is two way communication from Kakwa, GP RCMP and Alberta 911 are the most likely to get the call.
I'm meeting with emergency management reps from BC, Alberta and the Yukon this weekend to work out a lot of the boundary issues. But, i will tell you that when a call comes in I don't have time to check around the country to see who else might be responding to an incident they are not responsible for. Those calls should be going the other direction. If I was asked to send rescue professionals into Alberta I would first contact the responsible agency in Alberta to ensure that our help was in fact requested. There is a lot of work that goes into a wilderness emergency response when everything goes right. I'm trying to get things organized so they do go right. Yes, it sounds like a simple solution but it takes time away from more important issues that need to be addressed in a hurry.
All suggestions are good suggestions! By next winter we should have all of the kinks worked out and be ready for new kinks.
Dale

sledhunter

Reaction score
Dale send them the same 2 pages I have in all the cabins here.
I'll see if I can find that file. I suspect it is in the computer that melted down a couple of weks ago. Considering I don't snowmobile I sure spend a lot of time on this website! I don't get it. I need a hobby.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if can't find it I will pull one down from the cabin's and we could photocopy it if you need

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

SPOT center can tell if you are moving after you hit the "911" button and should keep any first responders updated as to movement. this same thing happened to us in Valemount, we hit the button where our friend was hurt but it was in a danger area and we decided to move him to a safer location. SPOT kept the RCMP informed of the movement, and they didn't send the chopper until the signal had stopped moving. when you push the "911" button, the SPOT will continually send the "911" message until it is cancelled, or the unit runs out of battery power.

sledhunter

Reaction score
SPOT center can tell if you are moving after you hit the "911" button and should keep any first responders updated as to movement. this same thing happened to us in Valemount, we hit the button where our friend was hurt but it was in a danger area and we decided to move him to a safer location. SPOT kept the RCMP informed of the movement, and they didn't send the chopper until the signal had stopped moving. when you push the "911" button, the SPOT will continually send the "911" message until it is cancelled, or the unit runs out of battery power.
Great example!

wide_open

Reaction score
Not sure if this chopper was for this incident, but it was out at Kakwa recently.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nel7rLB94sU[/media]

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
One of my buddies had his m1000 air lifted out last Thursday, feb 24. Broken diamond drive.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats great your buddy had his sled air lifted last Thursday, but it certainly has nothing to do with this thread/video..... this entire thread and last post were made March of last year!

Top Bottom