Anyone here lose their job?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
From my understanding it was the employer only has to pay 50% of the wage and the government compensates for the other half.

It makes no sense, I have applied for numerous jobs and have been in the industry since 2009 operating heavy equipment. And I'm still here making "half" what everyone in the oil patch makes. I guess they'd rather pay an immigrant that barely speaks English and needs a trainer that speaks their language, half the amount.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my understanding it was the employer only has to pay 50% of the wage and the government compensates for the other half.

It makes no sense, I have applied for numerous jobs and have been in the industry since 2009 operating heavy equipment. And I'm still here making "half" what everyone in the oil patch makes. I guess they'd rather pay an immigrant that barely speaks English and needs a trainer that speaks their language, half the amount.
I'm trying to get a job in Calgary right now as an accountant. Have literally sent in close to 100 resumes without a single call. I'd be curious to know how many TFW's are staffers too because my intermediate and senior level experience tells me I should have at least gotten a call for the lower end jobs I've applied for.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a job in Calgary right now as an accountant. Have literally sent in close to 100 resumes without a single call. I'd be curious to know how many TFW's are staffers too because my intermediate and senior level experience tells me I should have at least gotten a call for the lower end jobs I've applied for.

Don't understand it either, know some guys looking with no action either yet companies cry about skilled labor shortage??

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of the accounting at the company I work for is now done in Kuala Lumpur. Big companies are farming lots overseas and have been for a while. They suck too

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just seen on news that this is totally legal. what a bunch of ****. some government program. I know theres a lot of proud Canadians and I was one of them. im starting to lose faith. Do we as taxpayers and voters seriously have a say in what goes on? or do they just let us think that. did anyone here know that there was a government program that would allow a company to come in one day and take jobs away and then give them to someone else the next day? im not a racist person but how is it that we cant take care of our own issues here with starving kids, homeless, people out of work, but we can pay to have others come in to Canada and literally take our jobs away? these guys had no warning and were told to go home. jobs done. then immediately hire immigrant workers for 1/3 of the wage. what a joke. sorry for the rant but wake up Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!

well said I totally agree with you... this is what happens when you gov't is in bed with big business and forgot who they actually suppose to work for! This will not lead to anything good for our Country... ok maybe a quick cash flow but soon what happens when it's foreign companies with foreign workers... who gets stuck with the clean up bills when they leave???? YOUR KIDS

There is a need for money in the country but we must pace ourselves so we can do it... or we are just gonna loose out in the long run... Yes their is a need in some places for foreign works.... but at least make them work for Canadian companies that actually can't hire anyone if they tried...

no but what's happening ( personal experience in construction industry) is that companies prefer the work ethic of certin foreign workers and they then go out of their way to make excuses why they can't hire anyone.... they then hire foreign works and pay them half of what even they are worth just further increasing their profits...SO WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE AND DRIVE TO KEEP CANADIANS EMPLOYED???? ITS GONE... money talks bs walks... Dont get me wrong companies have to make money... but when you look at the fact they lie about needing these workers ( in some cases) and that in some cases the companies are foreign we ARE SHOOTING OURSELVES in the foot!

Im not a big union fan as in the last 20 years we got to the point we didn't need them... however you can see it's time im glad they are around. Unions in BC stopped the mine that was a Chinese mine in BC with Chinese workers... if not for the Unions this would have went ahead.... WHAT A F***Ing mistake that would have been... Gov't who approved that should be in jail for treason!!!!!!!

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, company I used to work at would bring Americans up with a LMO to work on compressors, turbines etc. The loved that the Yanks were getting $27/hr. The trick is to make the job postings so unattractive hardly anyone applies which opens the door to looking elsewhere.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is not "a single guilty party".....
Government - Allows TFW to the highest bidder in some cases because politicians are getting kick backs or are invested in the firm requesting permission.
Unions - Were vital to the enhancement of workplace standards, fair & equal pay and benchmarked training. Unfortunately many unions are no better than the government & it's politics. in many cases bad apples rule the roost and work ethic & culture has suffered.
Social Systems - In Canada if you don't want to work you don't have too, EI will look after you short term and when that runs out welfare will kick in, no one is allowed to starve or even experience uncomfort.

As a society and a country it sucks however in the end we look out for #1 and some are better at it than others. We have opportunities here in Alberta and Canada as a whole that 95% of the world population could only dream of. I started school at 4 years old and at 39 I'm still at it. No TFW will get my job because I'm ambitious and driven and damn good at what I do. Life owes us nothing and we have 1 right the same as everyone else on the planet.... to die, a right is absolute not verbiage on a constitution everything else is a birthplace given privilege and we have many but it's up to each individual to take full advantage.

I work for a construction company who is in desperate need of Iron Workers and out of over 30 hired 7 are left on staff more than 6 months after hire. We offer union rate, employee ownership, full benefits etc.etc.etc. and our best guy is an import from Scotland and he is disgusted with the general quality of tradespeople here in Canada.

you make a good point... MAYBE it's about time we make a conflict of Interest for Gov't official and politicians from getting these kick backs... that way you know you are getting someone who wants to be a politician to see this country run fairly!

Top Bottom