any one else tried an xm and not liked it?

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody has different riding styles and it all comes down to what you're most comfortable with and what will instill the most confidence.

Our last weekend out we had a 09 M8 go down so didn't get to try it, but when he rented a 14 XM, we all got to try it and compare directly with my 14 Pro.

Myself: I still cannot get used to that layed down steering post. While I cut some lines close to what I was doing on my Pro, it felt like the sled was fighting me the entire way. And to me it felt like there was a fine line between getting it on edge and rolling it over for belly rubs like a dog. I'm 6' and 190lbs.
The cat guy: He loved it right away and was instantly a way better rider than he was on his old Cat. He's also a smaller guy, 5'7"ish and 140lbs ish.
The Nytro guy: He was comfortable with the steering right away (obviously), and said he could get used to it and enjoy it. He found the Pro easier to roll up, but wasn't a fan of an upright steering post. He's always been a Doo guy, so that's no surprise. He's 6' and 290lbs ish.
The XP guy: Was struggling with his all weekend and trying to get tips to help, but didn't want to try either new sled out for fear of what having to buy a new one would cost him. LOL
Both riders who enjoyed it, are just starting to learn counter steering and riding the sled on edge.
And while it did feel it had a bit more power than my Pro, for me I'd rather throw a bit more power on mine than switch the post to something I'm comfortable with.

Now once you find the sled you love most, THEN find a dealer you want to deal with. Reality is you better be spending more time riding the sled than dealing with your dealer.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy tried a xm HATED IT saw what i was able to do on it, we traded sleds for half a day i told him to take back his P.O.S pro and just last night i went with him to pick up his very own xm..

He bought the pro in dec and took a 3g loss to jump on a xm

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent weekend in renshaw tried couple buddies sleds for comparison and found the 13xm 800 154" side hilled and turned worse than my 09 m1000 162.Found it funny that the guy coming off the pro rmk had the exact same opinion. Tried a 13 pro rmk 800 163 and a 14 proclimb 800 162 were way easier to side hill and initiate an up hill turn with.

To me and a guy coming off a the pro we both found the xm to need massive amounts of counter steering and pulling over to get it to stick on a side hill. Funny how similar the 14 proclimb was to the pro rmk, felt heavier by a bit and the ski's suck but that 800 cat motor sure has jam.

Anyone else found similar? was going to snow check an 15 summit 174" but just cant seem to get over the strange handling of the xm after trying it on multiple occasions.

Thoughts?

I cant get use to the non vertical steering.

The 14 cat and now 15 cat is the best proclimbs yet.

Skis, head light delete, and a can and it will lose some front end weight and lose those trail skis.

Love my 14 pro. Belt drive is ok, its gear ratio is meh. Better off snow checking a chain driven standard rmk with the clicker shocks, aluminum frame and chain drive, think it saves you $700 and put a tki or c3 belt drive on. Have to put one on to change the pros ratio anyways.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy tried a xm HATED IT saw what i was able to do on it, we traded sleds for half a day i told him to take back his P.O.S pro and just last night i went with him to pick up his very own xm..

He bought the pro in dec and took a 3g loss to jump on a xm
Xms work very well for beginners, the easy tip over from the T motion gives you a false feeling of how easy it is to ride. Once you graduate up to a 1 ski rider you will realize the chassis of the xm just cant hold a line without washing out in rougher terrain. The rev chassis was great, the xm is a xp with a bandaid.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from a 09 xp 154 which I hated for the first two weekends, got used to it and liked it, short of the heavy appetite it had for motors. Bought a 13 xm 154, had it for a year never could get comfortable, found my xp was a lot more stable and had less tendency to jump around, had motor issues with the Xp and had too many issues with the xm that shouldn't occur with a brand new sled, it turned me off doo. Had been riding doo for around 16 years, prior to that had polaris, bought a 2014 163 pro and am very happy with it, lot nicer ride, holds lines better much more predictable. Between the 13 xm and the 14 pro much prefer the Pro. As for the cat haven't spent enough time on it to give a honest opinion of it the one I tried was a 14 162, liked the power of it pulled harder then both my doo and pro, liked the way it sidehilled and handled in the trees did not like the steering, it feels like your turning a bus steering wheel and found that it plowed, but again didn't spend alot of time on it and it was the guys first ride with it so it wasn't set up yet.

Top Bottom