All Weather Tires

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the studded snow tires are done after this season.

Never did like them much. Probably has something to do with the winters around here. Had em 5 years used em maybe 3 but I have been a lazy butt as of late.

I think I have another summer left on my other tires though. I never used to buy winter tires separately but then I am not originally from Canada.

Is anyone running just the "All Weather" tires and thats it now? They are suppose to be better than the all season but not quite as good as a dedicated winter tire.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a car winters are mandatory IMO. On a truck I usually just run a good all season with snowflake rating. Duratrac, BFG A/T, etc.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Never did like them much. Probably has something to do with the winters around here. Had em 5 years used em maybe 3 but I have been a lazy butt as of late.

I think I have another summer left on my other tires though. I never used to buy winter tires separately but then I am not originally from Canada.

Is anyone running just the "All Weather" tires and thats it now? They are suppose to be better than the all season but not quite as good as a dedicated winter tire.

I've run Duritracs and one of the original Nokian all weather models. Both were fantastic in winter compared to all seasons, particularly in the snow. However, a dedicated winter tire will still blow the all weathers away on ice. Given the number of times we've seen freezing rain over the past two winters, I'm seriously considering running dedicated studded winter tires.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run studded and then normal tires in summer, would not drive without studded in winter, no comparison like a doo without the cool aid

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
on my $1000 beater daily driver I just run Motomaster AW2's and they've done well all winter.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run dura tracs and they seem pretty good as far as traction goes, but I usually have two sleds on so there's a good amount of weight over the axle. Even with two sleds on I have had it break loose even in 4X4 but it was Extremely slick. I won't buy them again though because they don't balance worth a crap. ( 12oz on one tire and they tell me it's fine) right after being balanced they shook but This seems to be the norm for good year tires though so no surprise there. I'm gonna stick with toyo from now on.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been running Michelin A/T on my truck for the last two years and have been vary happy with wear, traction in snow and the great ride they have.

My 2 cents

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
Running multi mile wild country. Have a 80000km tread warranty and seem great on everything but glare ice. Better than the all seasons I had on the ice but I'm sure they aren't as good as a studded winter. This is on a 1/2 ton pulling a 2 place sled trailer

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It would probably help if you were to tell us what vehicle you need tires for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would probably help if you were to tell us what vehicle you need tires for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought about that after I posted but then had to go back to work, wait no I wasn't online while at work thats crazy talk

Its for a toyota tundra but not a new one the previous body style so basically a smaller than average half ton. The thing absolutely sucks on the highway in semi bad to bad conditions. I think it might be due to the shorter width of wheel base though.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that after I posted but then had to go back to work, wait no I wasn't online while at work thats crazy talk

Its for a toyota tundra but not a new one the previous body style so basically a smaller than average half ton. The thing absolutely sucks on the highway in semi bad to bad conditions. I think it might be due to the shorter width of wheel base though.

Under what conditions? Like with a empty box or with a decent load in the back? In 4X4 or not, cuz pretty much any truck with no weight over the axle and not in 4X4 ain't too hot in the traction department on ice.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Under what conditions? Like with a empty box or with a decent load in the back? In 4X4 or not, cuz pretty much any truck with no weight over the axle and not in 4X4 ain't too hot in the traction department on ice.

In really every condition. with no weight I see very little difference with studs (which is obvious going to be the case. Even with the sled in the back of the truck.

The truck feels very front heavy even more so than your typical half ton. When the sled is in it, it almost has too much weight and turning isn't the best.

I looked at getting airbag or some other "fix it" but in all reality I think its mostly the truck and its just my preferences have changed. When you drive fords and chevys all day everyday at work you get used to them I guess.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With that vehicle your between a rock and a hard spot. The key to traction is going to be be a combination of weight in the box, a softer tire, ie a 4 ply and a good true winter tire. But if your packing a sled from time to time you dont really want a 4 ply tire but rather a 6 ply. With a 6 ply and no weight in the box your traction will suck.

I can tell you this, your solution is not going to be putting on a lesser traction tire.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive a ranger as my dd and I would never go back from my studded tires. Even with no weight (besides my toolbox) they grip way better than my summers. And my summer tires have a snowflake/m&s rating on the side!

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Cooper At/3's on my Dodge half ton, haven't ran them in snow/ice yet but very smooth and quiet.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=2]"New" Winter Tire Rules for BC[/h]Wed, 2014-10-08 21:44 — DriveSmartBC
severe_snowflake.thumbnail.gif
On October 1, 2014 the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure announced "new" winter tire rules for British Columbia. The changes are part of the conducted by the Ministry about one year ago when BC residents were asked to express their opinion. From the information provided to me, it appears that the only thing that has changed is the signage beside the highway.
In past, the signs required winter tires with sufficient tread or carrying a set of tire chains for all vehicles that passed them. Now the signs simply require winter tires that are marked with either the mountain and snowflake symbol or M+S for light vehicles and that heavier commercial vehicles carry tire chains.
I'm confused when I look at the sign because it appears to say that heavier commercial vehicles are not required to use winter tires. Shouldn't it say use winter tires and carry chains under the picture if they were? The distinction is important because the law requires that the Minister must give public notice or place signs before winter tires are required. The signs must be unambiguous.
Regardless of all of this, if you really want proper traction to maximize acceleration, braking and cornering the best answer is matching winter tires bearing the mountain and snowflake symbol on all wheels. Some tires marked M+S may comply with the law but could provide significantly less protection. It is worth taking the time to explore your options with a knowledgeable tire supplier before the last minute.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"New" Winter Tire Rules for BC

I'm confused when I look at the sign because it appears to say that heavier commercial vehicles are not required to use winter tires. Shouldn't it say use winter tires and carry chains under the picture if they were? The distinction is important because the law requires that the Minister must give public notice or place signs before winter tires are required. The signs must be unambiguous.
Regardless of all of this, if you really want proper traction to maximize acceleration, braking and cornering the best answer is matching winter tires bearing the mountain and snowflake symbol on all wheels. Some tires marked M+S may comply with the law but could provide significantly less protection. It is worth taking the time to explore your options with a knowledgeable tire supplier before the last minute.

The reason that commercial vehicles are required to carry chains but not required to have "snowflake" tires is because there are very few actual "snowflake" tires made in the sizes required for heavy trucks. When you factor in that many of the better winter traction tires are actually recaps there is no way to have a snow flake. Henceforth the requirement to carry chains.

A good trucker knows what tires work in their areas and make the proper decisions, a poor trucker, well, we see them on the news far to often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom