Alberta Law about riding on trails

Stray

Reaction score
Are you required BY LAW to purchase trail passes to ride in Alberta? I believe in supporting Alberta's clubs who maintain the trails but why do you have to support the ASA if you don't want to? $60 or $65 for a trail pass and ASA gets $40 of it, why? If you could just support the club for using their groomed trail makes more sense to me. ASA doesn't groom, buy diesle, repair or help with the cost of trail maintence. Just looking for ideas not arguments.

Last edited:
Reactions: RXN

robb

Reaction score
Not to ride in Alberta but if you are riding on a trail maintained by a club you are considered to be trespassing if you do not have a pass.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to ride in Alberta but if you are riding on a trail maintained by a club you are considered to be trespassing if you do not have a pass.
only if that trail is on private property. crown land trails you cannot stop anyone from riding or charge them with trespass without a trail pass.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buying a trail pass shows your respect and consideration for all those who put in so much time, effort and hard work to keep the trails maintained. If you're not going to be riding on actual trail systems often I wouldn't worry too much.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot mine @ home :-(
The 800's is on it. But the 1000's is on the peg board in the computer room.whoops.

Oh well.

It would be nice if our government would just let our registration be the trail pass. And forward that money to the clubs.

dukabor

Reaction score
It would be nice if our government would just let our registration be the trail pass. And forward that money to the clubs.

Interesting, while I giggle at the thought of the government giving back to snowmobile clubs, I wonder where the money from OHV registrations goes, into the pot of general revenue, or actually towards specific causes?

Stray

Reaction score
But the Club doesn't own the land. So how could you be trespassing? Isn't private land. Then what happens to Quad drivers?

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
But the Club doesn't own the land. So how could you be trespassing? Isn't private land. Then what happens to Quad drivers?

If a quad riders rips through a field I. The Summer and gets caught there are huge consequences. And it is tress passing.... Farmers and land owners are approached and asked for access to their land by the clubs, with the agreement that the land will be respected and the club will monitor and maintain it. From there the club has the right to kick you off based on you not being a member and there for not having permission of te land owner or the club to ride there. This you are treaspassing.

Bringing up quads is apples to oranges unless on crown land and quads damage farmland and private land where as sleds don't rut and cause the same damage...

robb

Reaction score
only if that trail is on private property. crown land trails you cannot stop anyone from riding or charge them with trespass without a trail pass.

Being crown land does not mean the automatic right for sled access. Other special interest groups can lobby the government to have this set aside as a sensitive area and have off road vehicle access restricted. Local clubs are required to have access agreements from the government as well to operate a trail.

robb

Reaction score
Are you required BY LAW to purchase trail passes to ride in Alberta? I believe in supporting Alberta's clubs who maintain the trails but why do you have to support the ASA if you don't want to? $60 or $65 for a trail pass and ASA gets $40 of it, why? If you could just support the club for using their groomed trail makes more sense to me. ASA doesn't groom, buy diesle, repair or help with the cost of trail maintence. Just looking for ideas not arguments.

The ASA does provide a united front when dealing with sledding laws on a provincial level. Having such a large organization province wide ensures our opinions are heard in government. The physical work on the trails is just a part of what the clubs do . In matters such as access rights and insurance coverage the larger membership of the ASA plays an important role.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta is great with a trail pass that covers the province. Ride BC where you pay at every town to ride their trail to the alpine. I can ride kakwa today and the golden triangle tomorrow and so long as I purchased my trail pass for Alberta I am good to go.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being crown land does not mean the automatic right for sled access. Other special interest groups can lobby the government to have this set aside as a sensitive area and have off road vehicle access restricted. Local clubs are required to have access agreements from the government as well to operate a trail.
the original poster is asking about trail passes on ASA trails. all the trails built and maintained by our club were mapped and submitted for approvals by the appropriate municipalities and provincial gov't branches. I'm saying that on any approved Alberta Snowmobile Association trails we have on crown land, we cannot force anyone to buy passes or restrict them from riding on them. private land trails are different, you can charge any unauthorized users with trespass.

I am the president of our local ASA club, I'm well aware how trails come to fruition.

Last edited:

bryan_117

Reaction score
I forgot mine @ home :-(
The 800's is on it. But the 1000's is on the peg board in the computer room.whoops.

Oh well.

That's the way it works on Saskatchewan, last year we made over 13 000 bucks grooming and maintaining our trails and warm up shacks. About 75 bucks from every sled registered goes back to the clubs

Sent from my iPhone using

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ASA does provide a united front when dealing with sledding laws on a provincial level. Having such a large organization province wide ensures our opinions are heard in government. The physical work on the trails is just a part of what the clubs do . In matters such as access rights and insurance coverage the larger membership of the ASA plays an important role.

The ASA also provides signage and does provide money for trail development work.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the way i look at it is if your riding a clubs signed and marked trails, support there efforts and buy a pass. just to keep the trail open so you have a place to ride. a large lobby group will keep our riding area's open and needs funding. otherwise you will see area's shut down permanently. how do you think the green crowd gets things change in there favor.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the way i look at it is if your riding a clubs signed and marked trails, support there efforts and buy a pass. just to keep the trail open so you have a place to ride. a large lobby group will keep our riding area's open and needs funding. otherwise you will see area's shut down permanently. how do you think the green crowd gets things change in there favor.

x2. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Stray

Reaction score
As it should. We should support the clubs. But 1/3 to the Club, 2/3 to ASA ? Reverse the equation.

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As others have said, ASA provides grants for trail development and maintenance as well as signage. They also represent all sledders to the government when dealing with land use issues. All of this costs money.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom