Air/ fuel mixture 2010 mcxpress 270

sledjunkie

Reaction score
Hello I am wondering if ne one can help me with sum numbers , an or if a AEM air fuel mixture gage is even nessary I was told that this gauge will help u identify if u got " bad fuel" I was told if it reads between 11-12.5 everrhing is all good was also told that I should run some what of a mix of premium and av gas to be on the safe side I understand that mcx says just premium is all you need but I am spending a ton of cash building this sled an just want what is best for my beast Also what is the best psi of boost to be running on this sled with this kit my areas of Rideing r revelstoke, golden, Hassler , pine pass , tumbler ridge .Any info is Much appreciated Thanx Dustin
Sled is a 2010 Yamaha nytro 162

Last edited:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very few guys run a/f gauges on mcx kits. It just messes with your head. Their fueling is very close to perfect. Fuel depends on what boost you're going to run. Up to 16 I'd run just premium. I run 18-20 most days and mix in a bit of av gas. This is riding similar areas that you do. Valemount/blue river and revy/sicamous. Av gas is marginally more than premium so if you're concerned run 50/50 av and premium.

Nis240

Reaction score
An air fuel guage isnt gonna tell you the quality of the fuel. A knock light or something to read knock would tell you whether you have shitty gas. I have a 500 hp 2.5L Turbo car with a knock guage and i have completely switched to Husky 94 and will also be running this on my Turbo Nytro, alot less detonation with the Husky 94 Vs. Shell V Power i had always run.

As for air Fuel when just riding around normaly it should be 14-15 AFR when in boost 12.5 or less is fine, i prefer 11.5 for a bit more safety.

Nis240

Reaction score
I also would NEVER run any boosted vehicle, sled...whatever without an Airfuel gauge. Leaning out will kill your motor very fast. I have built a few boosted cars and Knock and Air Fuel are the most important things to a successful turbo motor lasting.

MRFUSION

Reaction score
Are you getting this machine built for you? The MCX is a closed system with the aux injectors in the intercooler. We have installed lots of kits with great success and have put a couple of A/F gauges on them but you cant adjust the fuel delivery anyways. The guys are right, quality of fuel wont be indicated by your gauge and I usually like to run about 11.8 to 12.2 Make sure your buying the best premium you can from a busy gas station you trust. That kit is set up to run about 16psi on pump gas but your tcv valve in the waste gate should keep it consistent at all altitudes if set up right at assembly. If you are running a boost controller be careful for sure and have a quality boost gauge, preferably liquid filled and remember to adjust the bleed screw on the gauge to zero it at altitude and temp changes. Good luck and enjoy your kit. Shad

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no need for AF guage on mcx. as said you cant change the mixture anyways so dont waste your money. just keep it below 17 psi boost and run good quality premium and to play it safe a few gallons of avgas or vp or some type of race fuel.

Top Bottom