Advice on restoring shop floor coating

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a msds sheets for an activated paint. Warning causes brain damage..that was good for a laugh. Especially after talking to the painter who was applying it. Look like the msds sheet was right.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a msds sheets for an activated paint. Warning causes brain damage..that was good for a laugh. Especially after talking to the painter who was applying it. Look like the msds sheet was right.

Im doomed!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used a acid bath to scrub the floor and 4 liters of lemon juice to neutralize the acid then a two part epoxy paint 24 to 48 hrs to cure then a two part epoxy hard deck ..again 24 to 48 hrs to cure. (depends on humidity).

my girlfriend printed me some decals of my favourite brands.. and make sure you can live with what you choose because they are under the hard deck. like your kids sometimes their bad but you still gotta love em.

i have slid carbides accross the floor with out getting to the concrete . the hard deck is amazing.
the problem with the home depot canadian tire garage floor kits is they are water based and wont hold up my neighbor re coats his every spring to maintain it. but for a couple hundred bucks and it depends on what you want.
2012-06-23 21.43.14.jpg 2012-06-23 00.18.24.jpg

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on re-coating my shop/garage floor. Originally after it was poured 10 yrs back i rollered on a cement sealant, assuming it's oil based. Its a medium grey and looking to switch it up, but dont want to obviously just use paint and have it chip, flake or chemicals take it off. The sealant has stayed on great, just that we are actually turning the place into our residence while the new house goes up, and theres to many rum stains and exhaust splatter for the misses liking.
We were looking into the epoxy's yesterday, but dont think they will squeegy good and the carbides would chew it up? She want to paint it black to match the harley orange pony walls?? Yikes to scared!
I dont want a weeks worth of sanding either lol

This stuff, they use concrete grinders to grind off the troweled flat concrete anyways and it will rip off that paint. It actually seeps into the concrete instead of getting painted on.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wasnt to much passion my last trip to mcbride watching 6 cats being towed out of the renshaw...and one by me....lmao

Cool!....They're machines....eventually they all need to be fixed.....so what? There's another thread right now how a guy has missed a few trips because of his dead deaux.....**** happens. Ride em hard and have fun....eventually something is gonna need attention.

I've seen lots of Cats with 3000 plus miles and many beyond 5000 miles....untouched engines....not too many other brands can bragg about that longevity.....

Are you saying that yer ski-deaux's never break down??

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool!....They're machines....eventually they all need to be fixed.....so what? There's another thread right now how a guy has missed a few trips because of his dead deaux.....**** happens. Ride em hard and have fun....eventually something is gonna need attention.

I've seen lots of Cats with 3000 plus miles and many beyond 5000 miles....untouched engines....not too many other brands can bragg about that longevity.....

i know bro..im 100% razzing you....

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

actually i towed it out with my sons pro...cus the bumper on the doo snapped. i put the tow buddy thru the side pieces holding the carbon tube....and 30 plus km out and for every whoop i hit i felt the whoop of the sled behind me. what a long frikin trip out, i think my gut still hurts.:p

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This stuff, they use concrete grinders to grind off the troweled flat concrete anyways and it will rip off that paint. It actually seeps into the concrete instead of getting painted on.

wow looks awesome...

here's a question if the reject that put down my concrete slab... i bought the house this way... didn't use a vapour barrier and i have moisture comming up through my floor in the winter... some concrete looks like it has white powder... what can i use???

I was thinking of the granite sealer stuff they sell to repair cracks outside??? the kind you have to trowel on???? any comments advise apprecicated

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the cheapest, most effective way I know to restore an old concrete floor: Firstly, because it has probably had a few oil spills over the years, you're going to need to remove all hydrocarbons previous to coating. Run down to Manus Abrasives, and pick up a bag of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Wet down any visible oil stain with water, and sprinkle on a heavy layer of baking soda. Cover it with burlap, and keep that wet for 24 hours. Rinse with low pressure water, making sure you don't spray it onto the lawn....it'll neutralize your soil, and you'll never have green grass again. The entire concrete surface will need to be washed down with a muriatic acid solution. It's available at any paint store or Home Depot. Fill a bucket with water, and add a pre-determined amount of acid to it. Use a new mop, and scrub the floor as best you can. Again, rinse with low pressure water. Let the floor completely dry. Devoe Bar-Rust 235 surface tolerant epoxy works great for concrete...thin the first coat with 25% Devoe T-10 thinner. Because the epoxy is already 68% sbv, it's going to be thin, but that's what you want so it will leach into the concrete pores. It's also super nasty to the senses...at the very least, I'd use a half mask respirator. Roll it on with an 8-10mil high quality roller. Leave it for a day to flash off the solvent, and roll on a second coat of unthinned 235. When fully cured, an epoxy-urethane system is going to have a high shine, and is quite slippery when wet, so on the second coat of epoxy, use a hand held lawn seed broadcaster, and sprinkle a small amount of anti-skid into the wet coating. I'd recommend any fine blend of blast media....Silica Sil 7 is cheap and easy. Roll on a top coat of Devoe Devthane 378 Urethane, and Bob's your uncle. It's strong and durable...you can literally bounce bullets off it, and it looks awesome.

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow looks awesome...

here's a question if the reject that put down my concrete slab... i bought the house this way... didn't use a vapour barrier and i have moisture comming up through my floor in the winter... some concrete looks like it has white powder... what can i use???

I was thinking of the granite sealer stuff they sell to repair cracks outside??? the kind you have to trowel on???? any comments advise apprecicated

Im not sure, give larry a call at the shop he knows all about it.

Top Bottom