Advice on restoring shop floor coating

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on re-coating my shop/garage floor. Originally after it was poured 10 yrs back i rollered on a cement sealant, assuming it's oil based. Its a medium grey and looking to switch it up, but dont want to obviously just use paint and have it chip, flake or chemicals take it off. The sealant has stayed on great, just that we are actually turning the place into our residence while the new house goes up, and theres to many rum stains and exhaust splatter for the misses liking.
We were looking into the epoxy's yesterday, but dont think they will squeegy good and the carbides would chew it up? She want to paint it black to match the harley orange pony walls?? Yikes to scared!
I dont want a weeks worth of sanding either lol

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could try a self leveling concrete sealer.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Glass Shield epoxy paint. My floor is 14 yrs old now....a few gouges from scags...but we're talking 14 yrs of running sleds in and out with no protection. The paint is so tough, you have to gouge the concrete to get it to scratch.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This picture is recent....I show it as you can see the WORST part of the floor...this is the door I always run the sleds in and out of. (Yes the sled has "booties' on the skis right now...those are new this year so I can be allowed in Kibble's fancy trailer. LOL)

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want something that carbides WON'T chew up, you should Line-X the whole thing. Other than that, I haven't seen much that will hold up to carbides dragging around on it.
This is what I plan on putting in my garage. It's certainly not the cheapest (got quoted just under $3000 for a 20x20 garage), but I've been told will hold up to any chemical that may be spilt on it (won't hold up to carbides, I asked) and is done by the Garage Store in Calgary. 20 yr warranty against de-lamination. They have a ton of colour options too, pretty much whatever you want to match your Harleys.
Grey Black Blue.jpg

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want something that carbides WON'T chew up, you should Line-X the whole thing. Other than that, I haven't seen much that will hold up to carbides dragging around on it.
This is what I plan on putting in my garage. It's certainly not the cheapest (got quoted just under $3000 for a 20x20 garage), but I've been told will hold up to any chemical that may be spilt on it (won't hold up to carbides, I asked) and is done by the Garage Store in Calgary. 20 yr warranty against de-lamination. They have a ton of colour options too, pretty much whatever you want to match your Harleys.
View attachment 154018
looked at this yesterday, but due to already having a coating it needs to be removed for the etching, and its a 30x 60 so the costs is above what I think pretty is worth for me

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 154018
A friend of mine has this in his shop, and it works and looks great. Until you drop a small bolt or washer, then your kind of phucked for finding it, lol. It isn't as durable as one might think, and carbides cut into it pretty quick (which you already mentioned). But it sure does look good!!!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Back when I used to deliver building supplies, met a family that built their garage first and lived in it till the house was done. The misses didn't want the plain cement floor look and they didn't like the idea of coloured hardeners. They used a muriatic acid to etch the floor. Not sure if they used a type of stain afterwards to get colors into it or if its just a time thing with the acid to give it different colors, and then resealed it. Lines were also etched in at the same time to give it a tile look. End result looked real good. Wouldn't of guessed it to be concrete. Not sure about long term durability though.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Glass Shield epoxy paint. My floor is 14 yrs old now....a few gouges from scags...but we're talking 14 yrs of running sleds in and out with no protection. The paint is so tough, you have to gouge the concrete to get it to scratch.

Awesome, exactly what I was wanting to hear is some testimonial. How is it with brake clean spray or gas, does it take the finish off or get it sticky till it evaporates?

Where do you fly, a club? We have our own airport out here but are kinda out of control on the rules for most guys, as we have none. Limbo bars are my favorite!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I used to deliver building supplies, met a family that built their garage first and lived in it till the house was done. The misses didn't want the plain cement floor look and they didn't like the idea of coloured hardeners. They used a muriatic acid to etch the floor. Not sure if they used a type of stain afterwards to get colors into it or if its just a time thing with the acid to give it different colors, and then resealed it. Lines were also etched in at the same time to give it a tile look. End result looked real good. Wouldn't of guessed it to be concrete. Not sure about long term durability though.

Our house plan has escalated so may not be finishing the basement so just outer walls and plan something like this for the floor, cheap and easy from looking on youtube. Issue with my shop is the stupid sealant already applied. It has to come off first and I am not that energetic lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome, exactly what I was wanting to hear is some testimonial. How is it with brake clean spray or gas, does it take the finish off or get it sticky till it evaporates?

Where do you fly, a club? We have our own airport out here but are kinda out of control on the rules for most guys, as we have none. Limbo bars are my favorite!
Gas doesn't touch it. brake clean makes it go a lighter shade until it drys, then goes back to normal. Here is a "stand back" shot....14 yrs of sleds, quads, projects, parties, parties, and parking my work truck with studded tires (for about 5 yrs in the middle there, somewhere).

I used to fly at a club....but my partner and I don't like the "fly this way, or fly that way" rules...so we just hit fields now. We like to smash into each other (actually real hard when you are trying...easy when you are not, Hahahaha).

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looked at this yesterday, but due to already having a coating it needs to be removed for the etching, and its a 30x 60 so the costs is above what I think pretty is worth for me
Oh ya, mine is a new garage, so just needs to be sweeped and cleaned, and it's ready to go. 30x60 would get expensive. My girlfriend wants to do our backyard (back steps, concrete pad and walkway to garage all joined) but I don't want to drop the money on that too. I want to put in a heater and a ton of cabinets and storage first in the garage.

A friend of mine has this in his shop, and it works and looks great. Until you drop a small bolt or washer, then your kind of phucked for finding it, lol. It isn't as durable as one might think, and carbides cut into it pretty quick (which you already mentioned). But it sure does look good!!!
Ya, I can never find dropped things anyway. As soon as it falls out of my hand, it teleports into another dimension.

Last edited:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas doesn't touch it. brake clean makes it go a lighter shade until it drys, then goes back to normal. Here is a "stand back" shot....14 yrs of sleds, quads, projects, parties, parties, and parking my work truck with studded tires (for about 5 yrs in the middle there, somewhere).

I used to fly at a club....but my partner and I don't like the "fly this way, or fly that way" rules...so we just hit fields now. We like to smash into each other (actually real hard when you are trying...easy when you are not, Hahahaha).
If you up for a drive this summer come up one weekend and let them rip, hope to be going up later today for a flight

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tie streamers on the back and dogfight, using the prop to clip the streamer down. Person with the longest one at the end wins. Lots of fun.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dave would you have the type you used, I googled just glass shield epoxy paint and there are hand fulls of different types EP GUARD 1500, EP Gaurd 1600 and monoglass 4250 etc

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave would you have the type you used, I googled just glass shield epoxy paint and there are hand fulls of different types EP GUARD 1500, EP Gaurd 1600 and monoglass 4250 etc

Glass Shield High Performance Coating

I believe this was the base coat....it's a grey epoxy I think. Then the website says to go with a polyurethane clear-coat, I went with a polyurethane paint instead...and I don't remember which one. (14 years eh...hahaha) At the time, this stuff was new and my buddy was a rep at the NAPA paint store. He said they were going after Endura paint for use in high wear areas like manure spreaders and salt spreader trucks and that type of thing. Pecos put the base primer with clear top-coat in his auto repair business shop....it still looks good in there too. Pecos' garage (Pecos moved, RZR101 lives there now), mine and Pecos' shop were all done at the same time. All were done with a roller, not sprayed. Our NAPA bud had the right ratios for mixing reducer and all that stuff....

Last edited:
Top Bottom