ABS BackPacks

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 30L Snowpulse. I've tested it twice and it's worked great both times. This is the first I've heard of them not deploying for this reason, drew562. They had an issue with a few not opening properly because of the velcro closure on top of the pack, but they sent out a fix for this.

I don't mind the pack opening around my head and don't feel it would hinder me even with my helmet on and I really like the head protection that this offers if swept into rocks or trees. Another great feature is that I have refilled my own cylinders without any problems (I work in a gas plant with a breathing air compressor:d). My wife has the ABS pack and it's a huge pain in the azz to send the cylinder out for refill everytime you deploy not to mention it's expensive with freight and the refill cost.

The only thing I don't like about this pack is I can't mount the ripcord on the right side:nono:. I should try to pull the ripcord with my left hand, just a test to see if it's possible. I will give it a try and see if this will work or not, I don't see why not cause it really doesn't take much of a pull to deploy. After I try this I'll post the results if you're interested.

Cheers;
Shane

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a search to find some info on Snowpulse failures and came across this. Out of 1500 deployments there was a 0.5% failure rate. The cause was attributed to the Velcro at the top of the bag being too strong. There is a fix for 08-09 begs and I would think newer bags have the updated Velcro.

Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the 30L Snowpulse. I've tested it twice and it's worked great both times. This is the first I've heard of them not deploying for this reason, drew562. They had an issue with a few not opening properly because of the velcro closure on top of the pack, but they sent out a fix for this.

I don't mind the pack opening around my head and don't feel it would hinder me even with my helmet on and I really like the head protection that this offers if swept into rocks or trees. Another great feature is that I have refilled my own cylinders without any problems (I work in a gas plant with a breathing air compressor:d). My wife has the ABS pack and it's a huge pain in the azz to send the cylinder out for refill everytime you deploy not to mention it's expensive with freight and the refill cost.

The only thing I don't like about this pack is I can't mount the ripcord on the right side:nono:. I should try to pull the ripcord with my left hand, just a test to see if it's possible. I will give it a try and see if this will work or not, I don't see why not cause it really doesn't take much of a pull to deploy. After I try this I'll post the results if you're interested.

Cheers;
Shane

I test fired a Snowpulse bag at the show, and pulled the cord with my left hand. No problem.

Last edited:

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike.

Update guys, now I have nothing bad to say about my avy bag at all.

Bring on the snowwww............

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Mmmmm....avalanche equipment at the snow

Attachments

• IMG_7573.jpg
    IMG_7573.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 45

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've ordered 2 - one for my 20 year old son and one for myself.

Yes I did. I got the SnowPulse for a lot of the same reasons frock got his. Protection around the head, ease of refilling the cylinder, and the use of breathable inflate air in the event that I may end up buried.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought myself two snowpulse bags, one for me and one for the wife. Got to test fire it at the show as well. Talking to some of the staff working that booth and they were very knowledgeable and like the idea of protection from head/neck injuries with the snowpulse design. Just my two cents, plus free refills.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought the snow pulse highmark bag. Its a nice size of bag and its easy toget it refilled.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who did you pre-order from...the sales reps there said they weren't taking orders but Cycle works and Argyl Motorsports were. When I went to there booths I was told to go to there stores to order and when I went to both stores I was told they were not taking orders as they went through this last yr with BCA and the bags never did show up so now IF and WHEN they come in they would be sold on a first come first serve basis.Maybe I'm just getting the run around but if you have info on who you ordered with can you please post.

I ordered right from the bca booth right from a rep. I was told mid December for delivery. It was 650 plus 50 for extra canister.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sold quite a few ABS bags. They are real good quality and you can have the trigger on either side. I have a 30 but I have sold a lot more of the old 15's and the new Varios. They are not cheap, but look at what you pay for all your other gear. I don't plan on ever having to use mine but I certainly have lots of confidence in it's operation. The nitrogen cylinders fill the bags real fast and are not affected by temperature the same as air. It doesn't really matter that a refill is more because if you ever have to pull it you want the best and I think the cost of a refill will be the least of your worries:eek: I also take a spare canister when I go to the mountains, that way if I ever have an accidental discharge the bag isn't useless for the rest of the trip. I am also going to have some BCA bags but they won't be available until end of Dec. They are going to be $599 + tax if anyone wants to get their name on one (100 deposit).

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I have never used an avy backpack.
Can you carry shovel,probe in it?
which model is best for carrying survival gear and extra layers of clothing etc?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never used an avy backpack.
Can you carry shovel,probe in it?
which model is best for carrying survival gear and extra layers of clothing etc?

I carry all those things and a lot more in a 30 litre Snowpulse.

highmark

Reaction score
You can put your name on a waiting list at Cycle Works. The girl said she is not taking deposits, cause she is not sure on the ETA. When they arrive she will call and you have 2 weeks to pick up or put a deposit on it at that time. If you choose not to take it she will pass it down the line to the next name on the waiting list.

Top Bottom