98 cat or 99 Polaris

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking for some advice from the pros here...Looking at getting a sled for the wife,i found a couple but wanna get some input from you guy

1-98 Arctic Cat Powder Special 136" has 6000 miles

2 -Polaris XC 500 121" 5600kms

i like the efi just incase she wants to try the mountains but the miles scare me

Is there anything that a guy should look at on these sled before buying or are both not worth it....can get either for $1200

don't wanna buy something and add a pile of money into it

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt the polaris in miles

if seen sleds like this down east with upwards of 20.000 miles on them
i myself would buy the polaris but im partial to riding my sled not fixing them

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt the polaris in miles

if seen sleds like this down east with upwards of 20.000 miles on them
i myself would buy the polaris but im partial to riding my sled not fixing them

doesn't Polaris mean

P ull
O ff
L ake
A nd
R epair
I n
S pring

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are good machines. The 136" would be better suited for any mountain adventures. The final decision would be the condition of the machines. If they were identical, I would pick the efi with bigger engine.

deathtoll

Reaction score
looking for some advice from the pros here...Looking at getting a sled for the wife,i found a couple but wanna get some input from you guy

1-98 Arctic Cat Powder Special 136" has 6000 miles

2 -Polaris XC 500 121" 5600kms

i like the efi just incase she wants to try the mountains but the miles scare me

Is there anything that a guy should look at on these sled before buying or are both not worth it....can get either for $1200

don't wanna buy something and add a pile of money into it

welder i have to say cat on this one man my uncule has 2 powder speacials with 1100miles on them never had a moments trouble them motors have never been opened up and they run like new my uncule had a polaris it blew up on him every weekend since it came out of the show room floor then he bought a cat and has loved it ever since

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy the cat the efi is nice and track is better for most snow condtions. I had a 98 powder and loved it good in the mountains a blast on the trails and if she needs speed clutch it to race like mine was and hold on mine was hitting close to 95 mile an hour,on the down side after that it couldnt climb much.but never had problems with the sled sold it with close to 10000miles and never opened the engine,the guy i sold it to 3 winters ago is still riding it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not biased either way but from outside looking in.....

The powder special for the track and the EFI, but with two qualifiers.....compression test on the motor before purchase is a must. If compression is bad, price should be adjusted. Also decision is based on overall sled condition. Might look really good, or it might look like it was beat down for 6000 miles.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple things to consider since this is for your wife. With the EFI it should be pull and go most times, maybe a second pull other times. As well, the 136 set up right will give her a smoother ride than the 121.

I had a 98 ZR 600 EFI and thought it was a really decent sled. Easy to work on and I can give you some really good clutching tips.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably have to pay a little more for a used doo but it would be worth it to be able to ride with your head held high.:d:d:d:d

Top Bottom