800 Can Am question???

Two Blue

Reaction score
Hello all... Can anyone tell me if a weak battery from a winch operation can cause the Check Engine - Limp Home Mode to activate for a Outlander 800??

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
yup, i had a buddy's outty that did the same thing, plows his walkway, limp mode comes on, till he charges his battery.

I hooked up a car battery to my quad that plows, installed a marine battery box with a deep cycle battery, with all the amp draw from lifting and lowering, ur battery is gonna suffer.

Two Blue

Reaction score
It happens when I plow after the up/down with the blade..., so you were right on the money... Thanks again..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that can-am has set the trigger on the battery voltage not low enough.. even if you just winch for a bit when our in a mud hole the limp home comes on.. does not mean your battery is gone..just means that you triggered that sensor when the battery reads whatever...

one way to not have your limp home come on so soon is to change to a wet MAT techology dry cell battery.. Deka made by east-penn makes a direct replacement for the renegade and outlander if its 2011 and under... don't go and run out to buy one if your stock battery is ok, just when it goes on the fritz don't replace it with a oem one anymore.. get something like a deka cause they are made to withstand 4 times the shock fator that your machine sees and they hold a superior charge over the stock battery.. you could leave a Deka outside from Oct to May with out a charge and you would find that the discharge is minimal.. i have done this over the winter and the quad ( or my watercraft i used to own) start up like the battery was just put in as a new item.. well worth the money... direct from East Penn in Calgary they are 135 tax in..just sayin..

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that can-am has set the trigger on the battery voltage not low enough.. even if you just winch for a bit when our in a mud hole the limp home comes on.. does not mean your battery is gone..just means that you triggered that sensor when the battery reads whatever...

one way to not have your limp home come on so soon is to change to a wet MAT techology dry cell battery.. Deka made by east-penn makes a direct replacement for the renegade and outlander if its 2011 and under... don't go and run out to buy one if your stock battery is ok, just when it goes on the fritz don't replace it with a oem one anymore.. get something like a deka cause they are made to withstand 4 times the shock fator that your machine sees and they hold a superior charge over the stock battery.. you could leave a Deka outside from Oct to May with out a charge and you would find that the discharge is minimal.. i have done this over the winter and the quad ( or my watercraft i used to own) start up like the battery was just put in as a new item.. well worth the money... direct from East Penn in Calgary they are 135 tax in..just sayin..

Good post! I guess that would go for all brands as well.... I have had issues with a weak battery as well and it seems to be a problem with alot of quads lately? It seems the bigger the CC's the harder they are to turn over and have a higher draw on the battery?

Two Blue

Reaction score
That is a great help and great information. Thank you for taking the time and providing me with your feedback...

Two Blue

Reaction score
Well I am glad to see that I am not alone on this issue!!!

Pecos

Reaction score
I found a simple solution for mine.....added a second battery in the trunk and have much more available power now and haven't seen the light for 4 years......

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a simple solution for mine.....added a second battery in the trunk and have much more available power now and haven't seen the light for 4 years......

Hmmm, you might stay drier if you put it on the front rack, keep the front end down so you can steer away from the creek.

Top Bottom