670x stator test

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the specs for testing a stator on a 98 summit 670x.
I just noticed tonight that my head light is very dim or not lighting up at start. once its running its fine.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the specs for testing a stator on a 98 summit 670x.
I just noticed tonight that my head light is very dim or not lighting up at start. once its running its fine.

I indeed do! Send me a PM with your email address. It ends up being too large to post here. I have a 1998 Summit X as well. Great sled but been through a stator or two myself...

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if meierjn got my message or if he hasn't been able to send the file yet. So if any one has info on testing the elctrical system on a 670x please email it to me at johntay@telus.net thanks. not sure what the ohms are suposed to be on the stator and coil?

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if meierjn got my message or if he hasn't been able to send the file yet. So if any one has info on testing the elctrical system on a 670x please email it to me at johntay@telus.net thanks. not sure what the ohms are suposed to be on the stator and coil?

Didn't get the PM for some reason? I sent the files to the email above. Good luck!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't get the PM for some reason? I sent the files to the email above. Good luck!

Now I got the PM. Strange... My sled had an intermittent bog. It would only get it every now and then when near the end of the day. Would stop bogging if you let the sled cool down. After stopping on the way home one day for a break the sled would not start. No spark at all. Stator had finally died. Took the stator our and a couple of the bolts/screws were worn like they had bee remove before. I suspect the sled was allready on stator #2.

Random Sam

Reaction score
I ended up buying a new stator through RM stator. I finished the rebuild on the engine and expected everything to be fixed and working. Bad luck! No spark. I tested the stator with the information you sent me, and the voltage readings are about 0.4 volts instead of 10-13 volts (as the manual says it should be). VERY FRUSTRATING. Now get this, I decided to disconnect the DESS post and put 3 wires into the connector and tied those wires together. I pulled one time, and it starts right up (default mode only - upto 2000 or 4000? rpm). I am starting to think the post is bad. I was told if the key is on the post, even it it is not programmed, it should start the sled and run in default mode. I absoultely get nothing. I am starting to think the problem was never the stator, but rather the DESS post has gone bad. I will get another one and try it. Anyone ever had the post go bad on them?

I just installed a used DESS post off of a wrecked machine and it worked. The post was the problem part. All my replacing the stator and scratching my head over what was causing my sled to have no spark. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks for all the information. I have learned a lot in the process. I hope someone can read my story and it will help their diagnosis. As rarely as a post can go bad, here is a case where mine did and replacing it fixed the problem.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just put a new stator in our sons 2001 800 summit for the exact same symptoms. Bogging for awhile then riding out of Climina last spring , shut it down and wouldn't start after . No spark. So we changed the stator and now no head lights or tach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have tried a voltage regulator but it is used so maybe....... Anyhow any help would be great.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '01 800 Summit ran well but all lights and heated grips stopped working one season. Took it to the dealer for diagnosis, stator tested fine so he unplugged the voltage regulator and started it and lights all worked. So I'm guessing unplugging it puts it to full voltage, 1 way to check the voltage regulator if all else checks out? New regulator wasn't cheap either, $125 I think.

Big country

Reaction score
Any one have the specs for stator testing for a 98 mxz 670 and how to test which wires and the resistance that's Sapose to be at each one thanks

Top Bottom