3" Track on 2012 163

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did one on my 2011 800 163 and it fit in good make sure when your under neath to smooth off a few rivets but other than that it fit good gonna try it out here this weekend.

dlux

Reaction score
Just put one on mine, 174, fits no prob!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the real question should be, "do i really need a 3" track??"

most people dont even get out enough in a year to really use it to its potential

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the real question should be, "do i really need a 3" track??"most people dont even get out enough in a year to really use it to its potential
Oler1234 does kinda have a point, however the 3" track is like adding inches to your Johnson Sure you can get by without it but once you had it you'd never go without it again😁

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point bounce. Totally depends on the rider's style and technique. If you come ride with our group I think you might feel a little differently about how well the 3" works for finessing out of very tight steep terrain in the trees😁😁😁

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
It really depends on your style of riding as well. A 3" is a bugger to spin, and when in tight spots and you want to spin the track and head back up hill, that 3" isn't going to be the track you want.

There is no point adding inches to something that already touches bottom :)

I have never rode a 3" so I have no idea on how it actually handles. From my experience, every mod has it's advantages and then it also has disadvantages. I do mostly tight and technical tree riding, so from your experience a 3" is not good in these conditions? I guess it's probably a chute climber mod.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rodeo there is no other non engine mod you will find that will help you more in the tight technical tree riding your talking about.That's pretty much the only riding we do and we all run the 3"

That may be so with your group, but, I am not a big guy, 150lbs, and putting a 3" to use for me isn't ideal. I would much rather spin a 2.3" or a 2.5" track and throw the sled around than the same sled with a 3".

A stock motor, with a 3" 163, with the right gearing/clutching combo is a lot of track to turn. I think like rodeo said, there will be pros/cons to anything.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bingo... i am switching over to the 3" this year, but am running a BB that is making good power and get out over 25 times a year. WIth a stock track i could get my self stuck right on the spot.

My point also was if your getting out 10 times or less a year, you probably dont need it. Mostly because your MAYBY gonna hit a heavy pow day on one of em. As well kickin it aorund the trees with a 2.3/2.5 track is much easier with a stock engine setup, these track really push in the front end. But if your a under par rider they can aid you in moving slower in the trees. Didnt even mention the over heat issues and minor snow condition problems that come with it.

Think of it like running a race slick on a street car, you do it cause you can but you dont really need to right?

climbin

Reaction score
One thing I did notice about the 3" is that you could stop in places you wouldn't dream of stopping with a 2.5 and get rolling again. Mind you anyone following your track can pretty much forget about it. I didn't really notice it was that much harder to spin, turning almost the same track speed climbing. Just the extra traction puts a lot more strain on the drive train.

So in other words it might be harder to get spinning, but you also don't need to spin it as much.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I agree. There is one con! People think you're cheating with a 3", because it puts you places you probably shouldn't be. But as for the under par rider comment. Every person I've ever ridden with is always looking for a little extra something to help them improve.See y'all in the trees

Summit69

Reaction score
I run the 174 3" and with proper gearing and clutching setup for you and your riding preference, your sled will rock. I have no engine mods and there is no lack of power when it comes to turning the track. I do run nitrous however just for a lil extra to get the mark on the hill or to pull a little bit faster/harder. Night/day difference compared to a stock track, never ran a 2.5 so cant say the difference there, but like Climbin said, the traction difference is huge.

But yes the track does push the front end more, just takes some more grunt to get it going where you want it to. And I wouldnt use the sled without scratchers, theyre just easier on everything to have them.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been testing these tracks pretty extensively on the stock sleds lately. i will say this. i dont think the 3" track is going to take a highmark ( although i havent really tried that yet not my style of riding) but with the extra weight of the track and the extra power thats required to spin it i think these will cancel out.

BUT

when moving slow...or getting a short start on a line....this thing hooks up insane and builds up ground speed in deep snow like no other. way outshines the 2.5" in this area forsure. in the tight trees and crappy spots when you really need the hookup. bang its there. so happy ive done this upgrade on a few sleds now. i find my arms are way more tired at the end of the day simply because it hooks up in the deep all day too rather than spinning and not going anywhere.

OH

you will also need a better skid or suck your limiter strap right down. extra traction brings extra high uncontrollable wheelies! i left mine stock because i like the wheelies. makes things interesting.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Maxwell, I have decided that this year my sled will remain stock, if I do go with a 3" I will do a drop and roll with it this summer.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
Mud king, you don't need to drop n roll for a 3" on your sled.
I'll probably do this mod for next season...or, i'll be aiming for as many lumps in the powder as possible, just praying that i'll hit a stump with it pinned...lol...then new 3" goes on. it would be nice to upgrade the engine along with this as a package deal, then i won't need to buy a new sled as this will be a new sled.

Top Bottom