3/4 ton gasser

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
*Lookin for used not new

Well I think the time has come to step up to a 3/4 ton cause my 1500 ram just isint cutting it.

I know I'm not guna get any kind of great mileage with and 3/4 truck and I still want to be able to fire the truck up and go around town when ever I need to which is why I don't think that a diesel would be a good choice for me. I'm kind of leaning towards a 09ish chev pref the Ltz package but I also wanted other opinions/suggestions. As of now I hate my ram 1500 it's been nothing but a headache with the front end but I know that I probably wouldn't have that problem with a 2500 ram.

what do u guys like or dislike about any of the big 3 3/4 gassers and why?

also was told that the f250 with the triton was junk so I am a touch skeptical about them I'm just in the super early stages of lookin right now more like testing the waters out.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it's newer but I got a 2012 2500 ram and I'm very happy with it. The gas mileage is better then 05 1/2 ton I had. No problem pulling.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My "spare" truck is an 01 Chev 4x4 2500 ext cab, it has the 6.0 ltr mill in it. I have had NOTHIN but awesome luck with this truck. Great pulling pwr, amazingly decent on fuel and start EVERY time cold or hot out.

Gettin rid of it now unfortunately, as my son has his truck and car at the house now too sooooo yeah :/

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The GM 6.0L is bomb proof and paired with the new 6 speed you can actually get good mileage out of these trucks if you are not heavy on the pedal.

Without a tuner the truck likes to run at 100-110km/h with a load. Push the truck over the speed limit much and you won't get great mileage from it. 08 and newer for GM/Chev for the 6 speed.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's 07 and newer as that is when GM brought out the GMT900 chassis. You could just get the classic body in 07 as well.

Personally I would stay the hell away from the 07 up trucks. I can't stand the transmission for one, but beyond that it's the engine. GM decided to put race car flow rate cylinder heads on an engine that you can't even get to rev to 6 grand stock..... and they start making power around 4000-4500 rpm and shift at 5600 rpm. Nearly as narrow of a power band as a diesel, lol. Even tuned the new body style 2500/3500 gas trucks are pretty patheticly underpowered unless you manually force it into first at lower speeds and rev the ch!t out of them. But then with 4.02 first in the trans and get 4.10's out back you could have a 100 hp 4 banger and it would feel strong.

A tuned classic is a fun truck if it has 4.10's in it.... and mileage.... I don't know why people care when they buy a gas job 3/4 ton. Personally I have had both the new body style as well as the 07 and older and saw zero difference. Even empty.

I honestly would buy a 6.2 Ford and forget about GM altogether if you are looking for a newer rig. Get one with 4.30 gears in it and they are a decent rig. And with the 6 speed and 33" tall tires your cruise rpm on the highway is still quite low.

If you want "junk" a lifter fell apart in the 6 liter in my 09 2500HD and wiped out a cam lobe with just over 100000 kms on it. A Ford will be no worse than that. Card carrying knuckle dragging Chevy guys will tell you everything not GM is junk lol.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure all NBS gm trucks from 07 up had the 6 speed. One of my buddies has the 4l80 in his.

The 6.2 isn't great. I never heard or saw any issues with the 6.0 in the NBS.

But if you say so.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my ideal truck would be a f250 with a 5.0l Eco boost that would be the perfect truck but it doesn't look to be an option anytime in the foreseeable future

they should call that motor the "PowerBoost" ....

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure all NBS gm trucks from 07 up had the 6 speed. One of my buddies has the 4l80 in his.

The 6.2 isn't great. I never heard or saw any issues with the 6.0 in the NBS.

But if you say so.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

It's even worse, 12 cid less displacement with the same heads and intake manifold. As far as problems, lifters are the same part number between an LY6/L96 6.0 as they are with the L92/L9H 6.2. The aluminum blocks don't really seem to have a lot of issues failure wise. The AFM equipped engines are there own problem and are unrelated to this though. Never seen a 07 GMT900 with an 80E. The old company I worked for had a fleet of over 100 of them. All were 6L90E's. Slow and really underpowered with a power band that is utterly useless in a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited:

Six point

Reaction score
Love my '09 Silverado Crew cab 2500 HD LTZ with the Z-71 package and 6.0 l gas. I've had a number of GM trucks throughout the years .This one ranks best all around, hands down.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
buddy has an 08 chev with the 6l and i have to admit i love it for a gas truck, TONS or power. Never ever have problems with the engine. They're a proven engine since early 2000's. I wouldn't recommend any other large gas engine.

If you can afford it, go with the Duramax Diesel, i fell in love with my LBZ.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have thought of going to a 3/4 ton for pulling sleds and holiday trailer. I looked hard to find what I wanted. I found nothing I liked for power and ride. The sales guy at Browns GM in Dawson Creek sold me a Chev 1500 with a 6.2L gas and a 6 speed trans. I got the 3:42 diffs. The truck is the best one I could ever think of. I have mine on duel fuel gas and propane. It is cheap to drive. I get 13L to 100km on the hiway @ 125kmh. In town its not as good 16.5L per 100km. I have all the power I ever want (403 hp) It also has a great ride, All the 3/4 tons I tested had a much harder ride. 1500 all the way for me.....

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have thought of going to a 3/4 ton for pulling sleds and holiday trailer. I looked hard to find what I wanted. I found nothing I liked for power and ride. The sales guy at Browns GM in Dawson Creek sold me a Chev 1500 with a 6.2L gas and a 6 speed trans. I got the 3:42 diffs. The truck is the best one I could ever think of. I have mine on duel fuel gas and propane. It is cheap to drive. I get 13L to 100km on the hiway @ 125kmh. In town its not as good 16.5L per 100km. I have all the power I ever want (403 hp) It also has a great ride, All the 3/4 tons I tested had a much harder ride. 1500 all the way for me.....

do they still have a 6.2? thought the biggest was a 5.3 in the 1500 and all the ones i looked at were made in Mexico...

Who did your propane conversion?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6.2 has been in crew cab LTZ and SLT half tons since 09.... which was the last year they offered the L76 6 liter half ton and paired it with the 6L80E badged as a Vortec Max. 2010 on the 6.2 is optional in LT/LTZ and SLE/SLT extended and crew cab 1/2 tons either 2 or 4wd. 6.2 debuted in the GMT900 Denali and Escalades in 07.

07 and 08 Vmax trucks are the L76 with the 4L70E. Vortec Max package came out in 06 with the LQ9 and the 4L70E.

Last edited:

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2010 dodge 2500 5.7l and loved the truck. Got decent mileage of 18-19 mpg taking it easy on the highway which i thought was great. Had a cold air intake is all i did for mileage adders. Had a sled deck on it with a couple of sleds and it handled it no problem with a set of airbags. Dont think i will go diesel again, too much brain damage with them now. Cant idle, dont heat up quickly, must burn out the dpf and they aren't getting any cheaper to fix. Anyhow just my opinion but loved my 2500 hemi.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pm sent. here's mine my truck.jpg

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for this thread, and all comments. i just sold my 2001 f350 crewcab with the triton v10. it was lifted with 38" tires and i finally figured out my fuel use the other day. 40 liters to travel 100kms drove this as my daily for over a year so when i see numbers like 16-18 i think ill be happy to stay with a gas truck now :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf TNT......

40 l to a 100 km ???????

Are u Friggin crazy ???

Mabe u have too much money ???

Fawk I can't believe that. That's 5 mpg. :eek::eek::eek:

sent from my htc

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf TNT......

40 l to a 100 km ???????

Are u Friggin crazy ???

Mabe u have too much money ???

Fawk I can't believe that. That's 5 mpg. :eek::eek::eek:

sent from my htc

probably reading the lyometer on the dash, ya have to reset those things to even get close, and with bigger tires etc, it is BS. don't have a conniption tex. shheeesh

the best i ever heard, some clown trying to tell me he was gettin 39mpg on a friggin dodge, couldn't stop laughin.

Last edited:

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i figured it out this way since the fuel gauge quit working in the truck.... i would buy $50.00 worth of fuel @1.33/liter and i drove 90-105kms and the truck would start to run out of fuel. i put $70.00 in another day @ 1.33/l and started to miss around 145 kms so maybe im wrong? but i think that works out to about 40l-100km right?
truck was driven around town and about 15km on highway each way to go to town and a few km with in town each time we went. i would never come off a light with peddle to floor or drive over 120km an hour due to the chance of a plug blowing out of the head i tried to keep the rpm's down. it cruised on the highway around 1800rpms but as soon as a slight hill came it would shift down right away.

also last summer it would cost me $12.00 a day to go 22-25 kms to work round trip, fuel back then was $1.28per liter. im not the best at figuring fuel stats so please correct me if im wrong but that is my honest fuel useage and kms driven so please figure it out for me. all these numbers and kms were with the large tires on and summer driving this past summer had the deck in the truck which was 900 pounds. yes 900 pounds it was weighed on a crane. winch powered tilting with 360 degree turn table built in (grampa built it tough and heavy) the first set of figures with fuel gauge not working was an empty tuck with the big tires

and again if im wrong sorry, but im pretty sure i figured it out right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom