2021/2022 Invermere Area Conditions

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Special avalanche bulletin out for the area, warm temps are making things move. Was +9c in town. Barely freezing in the Alpine.
Was a couple small slides blocking the road to Panorama yesterday.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been out in a Couple weeks. Been Lotsa sleds up Forster, groomer was broke down for a couple weeks but it was running Sat. It will be back out tomorrow night.
ch!t show up there last weekend I heard, group dropped down from whirlpool and couldn't get out. Called for help and said they couldn't survive over night so a military chopper was dispatched from the coast. It couldn't land where they were so it went back, 50k an hour price tag to the BC taxpayers.....
Local S+r had to rescue a group off the glacier too cause they couldn't find their way down ... Money buys ya all the cool toys but not brains lol.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet those chopper guys were happy to get a sweet objective that far in. Who cares about the tax money, it was money spent in Canada on Canadians not over seas…lol

BigPow

Reaction score
I haven't been out in a Couple weeks. Been Lotsa sleds up Forster, groomer was broke down for a couple weeks but it was running Sat. It will be back out tomorrow night.
ch!t show up there last weekend I heard, group dropped down from whirlpool and couldn't get out. Called for help and said they couldn't survive over night so a military chopper was dispatched from the coast. It couldn't land where they were so it went back, 50k an hour price tag to the BC taxpayers.....
Local S+r had to rescue a group off the glacier too cause they couldn't find their way down ... Money buys ya all the cool toys but not brains lol.
Met some friends of the group that dropped down and couldn't get out, apparently it was -28 up there but they were able to dig a hole for them to cuddle up in, but yes they didn't think they were going to make it. I guess the son (14 year old) dropped in and couldn't get out.

vapours

Reaction score
I was there that day, watched that group take quite a few pokes at getting up on the lake, had a couple novice riders with no backpacks etc. Man was it cold up there that day and even colder the next day. I spent maybe an hour on the lake before heading down to warm up it was cold.. I talked to the guy with no kit, said the 14yr old lead the way up and over, this was around 12:30. Sounded like the kids first time will be a lesson for life. Can't say I didn't have a bad feeling about that group, the temps weren't ideal for overnight camping on a glacier. Was the other group the ones staying at the olive hut, some sled skiers?

Last edited:

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was there in Saturday. Seen some tracks dropping down the back of whirlpool. Was the first time I’ve seen tracks down there but I don’t ride the area that much. We talked about dropping down there but decided as a group would save it for another day as was 3:30 already. Thought we seen the guys that dropped in there in the parking lot at 5:30-6. Can you drop down there or is it not a good idea.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was there in Saturday. Seen some tracks dropping down the back of whirlpool. Was the first time I’ve seen tracks down there but I don’t ride the area that much. We talked about dropping down there but decided as a group would save it for another day as was 3:30 already. Thought we seen the guys that dropped in there in the parking lot at 5:30-6. Can you drop down there or is it not a good idea.
Its big country back there, depends on your ride and your skill level I guess. Lots of that ridge is south facing, only a little while after a special avy bulletin. There's no where to go around unless you bushwacked down to Duncan Lake...

unless you have the skills and the horsepower to get out, then its not a good idea to drop anywhere. Like most situations, its overconfidence in ability and sleds. If you really want to drop something, best way is to always pack yourself a trail down - lead sled takes the gentlest route and then each sled moves 1/2 a sled width over, this way you get a nice trail down in case ch!t like this happens, or you need to pull a sled out etc. Go play in the trees after you pack the trail, gives it a chance to set up and makes it even better to ride out on (if you need it).

Just said this same thing on a Fernie thread during the cold snap - you really gotta give your head a shake going out in "super cold" conditions. The moment ch!t happens (breakdown, injury etc) like this, you will not be able to focus on getting yourself out of trouble, your only focus is on survival. -20C or colder IMO........Just stay the fawk home people.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to criticize but man some even more really poor decisions were made by this group than I first thought. I can't believe someone would let their 14 year old who must not have known the area lead.

I don't think the glacier rescue was skiers.

There are lots of places that the tourists don't know about and for good reason. They can be really good on the right day with the right crew but could be your last ride if things go sideways.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PXL_20220305_180505964.jpg

Beauty day on the glacier today
Trail was fantastic
Road was good

ewoolner81

Reaction score
What's the latest conditions in Forster?? Thinking about heading there tomorrow. How is the trail? Groomed?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the latest conditions in Forster?? Thinking about heading there tomorrow. How is the trail? Groomed?
Trail was great on Wednesday and the snow was deep. Groomer broke a track pin Tues night but was being repaired today. Should be groomed tonight.

RBS145

Reaction score
Rode Forster Saturday and Sunday. Parking lot was a mud pit, trail in is slush to KM22 ish, good after that. Snow was good up high, lots of wind.

Huds72

Reaction score
Thinking of riding Forster tomorrow, wondering if there are any further updates?

Thanks in advance.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't been out, dirt in the valley to ride.
Gonna take a few days of rain before I am motivated to load sled again.

Top Bottom