2021/2022 Invermere Area Conditions

BigPow

Reaction score
How are things looking up there with all this warm weather?

RBS145

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on where to go this weekend. A friend and I are staying in Canal Flats. We are both pretty new to sledding, but have experience touring and what not. Does anybody have some nearby areas we could find some simple terrain to practice on the machines? From researching the web, looks like Forster is the easiest zone but also a bit of a drive. Some of the other areas sound less beginner friendly. I would really appreciate some input on where to go. We'd be happy with a big flat open area with snow to get the sleds turning. Thanks in advance!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whiteswan is right there at Canal Flats, you should be able to find something to your liking up in there, its a big area. Caveat is that I don't know what the snowpack is like over there at the moment.

RBS145

Reaction score
Whiteswan is right there at Canal Flats, you should be able to find something to your liking up in there, its a big area. Caveat is that I don't know what the snowpack is like over there at the moment.
Right on, I've been there in the summer. Do you know how far in staging would be? I can't find much online about sledding that zone, only for ice fishing the lake.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hows the snow in the Windermere valley at the moment for sledding? Hoping to get out soon....it's been about 10 years since I have sledded and would like to plan a trip in the next week.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on, I've been there in the summer. Do you know how far in staging would be? I can't find much online about sledding that zone, only for ice fishing the lake.
Road is plowed to whiteswan. You can ride all the way to elkford with some navigation skills.
Hot springs there too.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hows the snow in the Windermere valley at the moment for sledding? Hoping to get out soon....it's been about 10 years since I have sledded and would like to plan a trip in the next week.
Snow pack is above average this year.
Hasn't been much for precipitation in a week, possible storm coming Sunday.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over Crossing Creek from the White above Monro lake.
What he said! LOL Did it years ago on the bikes, be interesting to see what the country looks like now, probably 20 years since I was up there. We did a lot of exploring in the big burned out valley near Maiyuk Rec site back when, its probably all grown over by now.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are a lot of logging roads in the area to the east of Canal Flats. The road to White Swan Lake is usually plowed in the winter. The Lucifer Hot Springs are before the lake. There is no staging area nor trail grooming in the area. You drive on logging roads until you come to a section that is not plowed. The Moscow FSR is somewhere to the east of the old mill in Canal Flats and that will take you to the northeast end of White Swan Lake. From there you get on the White FSR and there is a prominent junction; the Munroe FSR goes south and joins with the Bull River FSR, York FSR, Crossing Creek FSR (it is actually an old industrial exploration road coming out of the Elk Valley and groomed by the Elkford Snowmobile Club), Haines FSR, Harrison FSR and a few other that I have forgotten. Back at that prominent junction, the White FSR swings to the north and east. Many more roads lead off of that series of roads (this is where Modman was talking about Maiyuk). There is the North Fork FSR, Middle Fork FSA, and some more that I have forgot about. Lots of exploring to do and great views. Not a lot of high elevation areas generally speaking as most of the roads are in the valley bottom. The big exception is the Crossing Creek trail that leads over to the Elk Valley.

Long road rides and cut blocks. Back in the olden days the snow was excellent and cut blocks were fun but with the last couple of decades the snow fall has been lighter and I didn't enjoy the cut blocks near as much. Here is a link for some reading with some maps and pictures of the area.

MiddleForkFinalReport-March2001_1098309184979_d24b4d46adcc41c49bade3eab04e9b8c.pdf

Last edited:

RBS145

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info on the Canal Flats area. We ended up staging east of White Swan lake closer to Munroe Lake, we had a great trip with some decent snow on the FSR's. Good enough for us NOOBS to get our confidence up with turning and throttle control. Maybe about 2-3' of snow on the unplowed roads, but no where near enough to venture far from the roads either. Pretty thin in most spots with lots of exposure. Here's a couple pics of our ride, a tree we cleared and a couple drone shots.

IMG-20220130-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20220130-WA0009.jpg
20220129_123232.jpg
dji_export_1643676821533.jpg
dji_export_1643676840023.jpg

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at forester yesterday. Trail in was excellent!! Meadows had a good refresh, lots of wind, some reactive slabs building.....nuking by days end! Get out and get er done gents!

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I was going to try and go to Rocky Point this weekend can anybody tell what to expect and the best way to access it
Thanks

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bugaboo fsr is plowed to the 17 junction, active logging in the area.
Trail is rough, lots of traffic and not much precip in weeks.
If it's overcast the area is difficult to ride.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bugaboo fsr is plowed to the 17 junction, active logging in the area.
Trail is rough, lots of traffic and not much precip in weeks.
If it's overcast the area is difficult to ride.
what he said. There's no trees up top for reference. Go when there is a high pressure system (sunny) and expect to ride about 4-5 kms of singletrack with 3 foot bumps.

Top Bottom