2019 to 2020 Ram Cummins CP4 Pump

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder why only Ram is issuing the recall? The CP4.2 is prone to failure in the Duramax and Powerstroke pickups as well, it's common enough in the Fords that a kit is sold to replace all the related fuel system components including the injectors because when the pump fails it fills everything downstream of it with metal fillings.

Of all the trucks I'm aware of with CP4.2 failures there is often 2 contributing factors, running dirty fuel or running fuel with water in it. Change your filters regularly, check your water separator regularly, and try to buy fuel from stations without contamination.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is CP4 and 4.2 the exact same? I thought only dodge used 4.2? and CP4 in ford/chev with lift pumps?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is CP4 and 4.2 the exact same? I thought only dodge used 4.2? and CP4 in ford/chev with lift pumps?

Technically, there are two types of CP4 injection pumps, CP4.1 and CP4.2. The difference between them is the number of pumping elements that each one has. A CP4.1 has a single element and is typically used on smaller European engines. The CP4.2 is used in GM 6.6L Duramax LML, Ford 6.7L Power Stroke, and 2019-to-present 6.7L Cummins powerplants. When discussing CP4.2 pumps, the universally recognized term for describing them is simply CP4.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to see all 3 outfits do the recall.... Then maybe I wouldn't be so hesitant on buying a used diesel pickup... Shes a crap shoot these days

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caroline, Alberta, Canadia, Earth, Milkyway
O that would be a nice upgrade for fr

I wonder why only Ram is issuing the recall? The CP4.2 is prone to failure in the Duramax and Powerstroke pickups as well, it's common enough in the Fords that a kit is sold to replace all the related fuel system components including the injectors because when the pump fails it fills everything downstream of it with metal fillings.

Of all the trucks I'm aware of with CP4.2 failures there is often 2 contributing factors, running dirty fuel or running fuel with water in it. Change your filters regularly, check your water separator regularly, and try to buy fuel from stations without contamination.
I run the FASS Fuel pumps in all my diesels since 2010 and have never had an Injector problem since. Filters are cheap enough to change every 10,000 KM.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Feel bad for the guys who paid the 3k for the conversion already :(

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally received the my recall notice in the mail
Yeah got mine to. Took it to my local dealer in Rocky Mountain House and they said "Yeah we don't have parts or even know what the fix is yet. You will have to wait for another letter in the mail saying parts are available"

Annoying and frustrating isn't the half of what i was thinking

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah got mine to. Took it to my local dealer in Rocky Mountain House and they said "Yeah we don't have parts or even know what the fix is yet. You will have to wait for another letter in the mail saying parts are available"

Annoying and frustrating isn't the half of what i was thinking

Ford & GM would never do a recall like that, honestly it’s shocking Ram even bothered. Good on them though, brings them way up in my books especially Ford seems to be screwing the pooch on their customer service.

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it happened with almost 27,000 KM on my truck. The CP4 pump has crapped the bed. Took it to Rocky Mountain House Dodge and they won't even look at it because of the delete. Even though there is a recall on the pump they are not going to warranty the CP4 just to get me back on the road. Have a CP3 conversion kit from BD performance on order but not sure how long its going to take to get that. Was a lot of swearing and cussing and will cost likely around $4500 in the end with install. We pulled the fuel relay out of the pump and there is no metal in it so thats a great thing. Caught it in time before it send shrouds of metal through the entire fuel system. Heard that can cost upwards of $15k to fix. None to happy with my local Rocky Mountain House Dodge dealer. Have made it very clear to them that i will not be doing business with them in the future.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At a loss for words. Sorry to hear about that man. If they did not flag it in Chrysler maybe try to get it to Edmonton ?
Crosstown has been great to me. Hate hearing a guy is spending what some consider a down payment on a house, just to find the next weakest link on truck

banditelectric

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At a loss for words. Sorry to hear about that man. If they did not flag it in Chrysler maybe try to get it to Edmonton ?
Crosstown has been great to me. Hate hearing a guy is spending what some consider a down payment on a house, just to find the next weakest link on truck
I'd love to try but in the case it doesn't work out that's another tow bill on top of a bigger bill. I'm not sure how any of these dealers are going to get around it. I'll use Full Throttle Diesel Performance in Rocky as per usual as his shop specializes in Cummins. He will at least help a guy out and stands behind his guys work. They have treated me nothing but great over the last almost 10 years. Would rather give him my money than pay the crooks in Rocky to fix anything.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd love to try but in the case it doesn't work out that's another tow bill on top of a bigger bill. I'm not sure how any of these dealers are going to get around it. I'll use Full Throttle Diesel Performance in Rocky as per usual as his shop specializes in Cummins. He will at least help a guy out and stands behind his guys work. They have treated me nothing but great over the last almost 10 years. Would rather give him my money than pay the crooks in Rocky to fix anything.

AMA is best friend, 200 a year I think ?
5 service calls a year
1 for 500 kms
4 for about 200kms or less. Maybe get you go stoney dodge ?

Top Bottom