2019/2020 Mcbride Conditions and Updates

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be Friday evening groom - Saturday lunchtime groom - Saturday evening groom - when the sled numbers are huge how hard is it to throw a lunchtime groom in there

I hate that I'm Hijacking a conditions thread but I think Maxwell made a great point and id like to further push the safety aspect. While coming out of Renshaw on Friday I was enjoying both the first ride of the year as well as an impressive early season trail. While enjoying my ride out at the better part of 90-100km\hr I had the always enjoyable experience of another rider deciding that wasn't fast enough and blowing by me at a fair clip faster on an off camber blind corner. If that groomer had been coming up that trail the rider that past me would have been a memory and I would have probably been involved as well. Mid day grooms are a Revy treat but an accident waiting to happen elsewhere.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate that I'm Hijacking a conditions thread but I think Maxwell made a great point and id like to further push the safety aspect. While coming out of Renshaw on Friday I was enjoying both the first ride of the year as well as an impressive early season trail. While enjoying my ride out at the better part of 90-100km\hr I had the always enjoyable experience of another rider deciding that wasn't fast enough and blowing by me at a fair clip faster on an off camber blind corner. If that groomer had been coming up that trail the rider that past me would have been a memory and I would have probably been involved as well. Mid day grooms are a Revy treat but an accident waiting to happen elsewhere.
Put up signs at the trailheads and let natural selection take its course

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had to scrape\wash natures course up from a wreck

You can't un-see that ****

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had to scrape\wash natures course up from a wreck

You can't un-see that ****
Have ever seen your buddies get injured and break their sleds from 4ft whoops - you can't unsee that she*t either - can ruin a perfectly good sled trip also - goes both ways - could always try to put a big airbag on the blade of the snow cat - gotta be a way to do it

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have ever seen your buddies get injured and break their sleds from 4ft whoops - you can't unsee that she*t either - can ruin a perfectly good sled trip also - goes both ways - could always try to put a big airbag on the blade of the snow cat - gotta be a way to do it

Slow down on the way out and your buddies won’t wreck themselves or their sled. If you can’t pay the price (30km of whoops) to play with all the white gold up top, then this was not the weekend to ride knowing that half of alberta is in McBride this weekend. There are also shorter, less busy areas a guy could have gone to as well. I hear Belle and Lucille are less than half the trail ride in.

gasman

Reaction score
That has always been an issue at renshaw. years ago my father in law were heading up at a I thought a decent speed, 60-70km/h when a group of guys came up quick. we slowed and pulled over but the one guy still managed to clip the back of my sled. I went off the trail but the other guy went over into the creek, probably 20' feet down. he was sure upset we didnt help him get his sled out. It is too bad that on weekends we couldnt get someone to patrol the trail and issue fines, or impound the sleds, or beatings lol. maybe when I retire i will volunteer

stonycat

Reaction score
Any body know if Renshaw has a grooming schedule set up now. Or is it just weekends.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the groomer is going at lunchtime the only sleds he will meet on the trail are the broken polaris sleds on the way to the parking lot - no? Probably won't be going to fast - Just sayin

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are legitimate concerns for some people and telling them to stay home isn’t the right message to send! But also don’t forget the trail was only built a little over a week ago and all of a sudden your getting 2-4 drops of 9-12 inches and up of fresh in a very short period of time the initial grooming is good but it’s probably still pretty soft underneath. And with the traffic the area has seen to start the year... he’ll get it fixed up!! He always does!!

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are legitimate concerns for some people and telling them to stay home isn’t the right message to send! But also don’t forget the trail was only built a little over a week ago and all of a sudden your getting 2-4 drops of 9-12 inches and up of fresh in a very short period of time the initial grooming is good but it’s probably still pretty soft underneath. And with the traffic the area has seen to start the year... he’ll get it fixed up!! He always does!!
Absolutely everybody get out there and tear it up - I personally think a noon time weekend groom at a busy sledding area is possible - the associations won't do it unless enough people talk about it - I was at eagles last yr at New year's and man o man a noon groom woulda been sweet - they always try to base any groom on the number of sleds but sometimes it could be done just due to the conditions being horrendous - or also because of 200 sleds - always an insane amount of variables in the snowmobile world

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely everybody get out there and tear it up - I personally think a noon time weekend groom at a busy sledding area is possible - the associations won't do it unless enough people talk about it - I was at eagles last yr at New year's and man o man a noon groom woulda been sweet - they always try to base any groom on the number of sleds but sometimes it could be done just due to the conditions being horrendous - or also because of 200 sleds - always an insane amount of variables in the snowmobile world
If I'm not mistaken, Renshaw got a midday groom back in the day. But it was only when things were really busy, like 300+ sleds in a day busy.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still on bell hill - conditions are incredible. Rknight111 in his happy place.
7a0309b672a04ca6785a79e7c77a9a42.jpg
a9e335906a7bfa7f5f8d10743003285d.jpg

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I like Mcbride. I would come back again fo sho. Lots of poofy deep pow at Lucille. 50% tracked out. Lots left. Why no Saturday night groom of 27km trail of Renshaw?

Gigglin’ grizzly pub has great food. 8/10

Sandman hotel-6.5/10 but it’s perfect for us Sledders. 100 bones/night and 3 $10 breakfast vouchers for a 3 night stay. Electric heat to dry the gear, you can look at your rig out the window. Friendly staff. Fridge in room.

Deer-10/10. The fattest, furriest deer I have ever seen. They were foraging for delicious grass on the soccer field in 2 ft of snow. I wanted to shovel away the snow for them. I want to pet them.

Taxi-10/10. Ask for the Cadillac low rider limo.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Mcbride. Why no Saturday night groom at 27km trail of Renshaw?
Was said above that the groomer was solo this weekend and couldn't get to Renshaw. He was supposed to be running up the trail at noon today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom