2018/19 Revelstoke and Area Updates

Reaction score
Website
revelstokesnowmobileclub.com
Ok I understand contacting the RCMP if I need SAR. What is the procedure if my vehicle is left in the parking lot longer than expected because we are limping a broken sled out or something such? Do I let the RCMP know that I am actually fine and let the club go through the whole process of checking log books, contacting RCMP, etc just to find out from the RCMP that they shouldn't have worried?

Luckily the club grooms both mtns. every evening, vehicles in lots are noted when operators get down about midnight. If there is no on at the cabins when operator is last there the call is made to the RCMP, this does not guarantee a search will be initiated. When staff arrive in the morning and vehicles are in the lot that have obviously overnighted we bang on windows, look for notes and bang on trailers, no answer or note we call the RCMP.

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do not have to notify the RCMP or the RSC if your machine breaks on the hill. Wow... maybe you should try a different sport if you are that unsure about being in the back country.

Instead of talking to everyone on here like you’re superior or something, you would help a lot more by trying to provide helpful information and tips to people who may not know better rather than tell them to find a new sport.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of talking to everyone on here like you’re superior or something, you would help a lot more by trying to provide helpful information and tips to people who may not know better rather than tell them to find a new sport.

There is actually a serious problem right now with people getting lost EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND. Search and rescue should be reserved for real and honest emergencies. Going out in the middle of the night to look for someone in deep snow and total darkness is not fun. What I said was harsh but having people knowingly go out unprepared in an area they might not be familiar with and have no fear because “search and rescue will get me”. Sorry for what I said, I should have said that if you are unsure please use a guide (a legit guide with tenure, first aid, avy training and sat phone).

We need to demonstrate that we are capable of using the back country responsibly through avalanche and survival skills. If we can not do these things then we will potentially start losing what little area we have left.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that I am not articulating my questions clearly enough. I have been riding in the mountains for close to 20 years and so far we haven't had to spend the night out or get outside assistance. I would like to think that this is from good choices and planning but the truth being told I am sure there has been a measure of good luck involved there over the years as well.
Since I have not been in the situation, I was unclear as to the protocol that is used with regards to the Sign In/ Sign out books and the reporting from the groomers with respect to people who have not signed out and vehicles left in the parking lots. I was/am simply trying to clarify this process. I hardly think that I am the only one that does not know exactly how this all works. The condescending responses from people do absolutely nothing to improve these situations.

I thought that I was trying to be proactive in planning how to use equipment that so many are preaching is a required piece of kit for anyone to carry. Next time maybe I will just keep quiet as its easier for some to blame everyone else for being the problem with no effort to help out!

Reaction score
Website
I see frustration in his post, a lot of people who are involved in these searches lately are very concerned with the lack of preparedness and the degree people are relying on S&R. I think if people were allowed to know the details of some of the searches they would feel the same way.

The RSC is hosting our annual Avalanche Awareness and Mountain Safety Day Sat. Jan. 19/19. Come out and learn from safety professionals who volunteer each year to share their skills with you. Event is free, spend some of your time improving your avalanche and backcountry safety skills.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks dicey out there

2019-01-03 21.57.44.jpg

Spudnik

Reaction score
There was a time when this site was a great place to get updates and see some cool pics of guys and gals enjoying a sport we all love. Now its just a bunch of people complaining about ****. Shut the **** up and go ride and have fun. Post pics and conditions updates and be happy.

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a time when this site was a great place to get updates and see some cool pics of guys and gals enjoying a sport we all love. Now its just a bunch of people complaining about ****. Shut the **** up and go ride and have fun. Post pics and conditions updates and be happy.

I completely agree with Jhurkot that there is an issue and people need to start being more accountable in the backcountry, just not the perfect way to approach it. This site can and still is a great way for Sledders to share photos and post condition updates, but it is also the best way to make people more aware of the dangers of the back country.

So yes, go out there and get it. Have fun sledding, but be safe and go back there with the expectation of getting yourself out. Not with the thought process of “if I get messed up someone will save me”. This is not the mentality to take back there with you as it puts SAR responders at risk each time a search is initiated.

SAR needs to be in place for one off situations. Not for every day rescues.

taylorbok

Reaction score
No one gonna answer his question of what to do if you are up there past the time of the groomer but are ok and just getting a sled out or something? personally I'd prob head down and just come back in the AM.

How's the snow any new pics?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not only sledders S&R are looking after. They have a constant babysitting chore of skiers and boarders that insist on going out of bounds at the ski hill only to find themselves in big trouble.S&R gets stretched very thin at times.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that I am not articulating my questions clearly enough. I have been riding in the mountains for close to 20 years and so far we haven't had to spend the night out or get outside assistance. I would like to think that this is from good choices and planning but the truth being told I am sure there has been a measure of good luck involved there over the years as well.
Since I have not been in the situation, I was unclear as to the protocol that is used with regards to the Sign In/ Sign out books and the reporting from the groomers with respect to people who have not signed out and vehicles left in the parking lots. I was/am simply trying to clarify this process. I hardly think that I am the only one that does not know exactly how this all works. The condescending responses from people do absolutely nothing to improve these situations.

I thought that I was trying to be proactive in planning how to use equipment that so many are preaching is a required piece of kit for anyone to carry. Next time maybe I will just keep quiet as its easier for some to blame everyone else for being the problem with no effort to help out!
If you're going to be late let your family or loved ones know. They are usually the ones that contact the RCMP to initiate a search. Also if your truck and lack of signout trigger a search RCMP will contact your family and they can let them know that no you're ok and they don't need to initiate a search.

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omg people find a new thread . Quit being a bunch of 3yr olds and butt hurt pansies. How is the snow looking? A little sketchy right now?

Reaction score
Website
The snow is good up top and if the forecast is right we will be getting more snow tomorrow and Thur. with sun for the wknd.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/british-columbia/revelstoke

We have made changes to our grooming schedule starting next Fri. depending on staff being available and being able to move equipment. Snow levels now prevent us from moving equipment across the bridge at this time. You can read grooming reports, snow depths and new snow reports each morning at 7 a.m. on the website under the grooming report tab. Grooming reports are also posted each morning at all 3 trailheads at the same time.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody ride Revy anymore? Wheres the snow reports, pics of stucks and all other info? Nobody posts here anymore?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody ride Revy anymore? Wheres the snow reports, pics of stucks and all other info? Nobody posts here anymore?

Im in Revy. Had some sun today. Nice snow in the trees. 2-3’. 1.5’ in open areas. Rode frisby today. All the trees in the back were pretty much untouched. Main meadows were 1/2 tracked. No pics. Sorry.

blue bird today. 1’ in alpine and 2’ in the trees. Easy to carve and sidehill snow is still soft. Tons of traction to pull steep tree lines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom