2016 / 2017 Valemount Conditions and Updates

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
There was a big one in westridge on Sunday seen the guy trigger it from a ways away. Took me and my nephew 10 mins to get over there his two buddies had found him and were just getting his helmet exposed and one arm, his arm was limp and when we pulled his helmet off he was very purple and not breathing. Started yelling at him to say we got him while we finished digging him out. He finally sucked some air in and started snoring for 5-10 mins then the eyes opened took another 5- 10 mins before he snapped out of the blank stare then he he looked at all of us and asked us how we were doing..so we sat him up setting the avy bag off by accident. Dug the sled out and headed down to the cabin he told us there that it all seemed like a dream at the time when he was unconscious.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a big one in westridge on Sunday seen the guy trigger it from a ways away. Took me and my nephew 10 mins to get over there his two buddies had found him and were just getting his helmet exposed and one arm, his arm was limp and when we pulled his helmet off he was very purple and not breathing. Started yelling at him to say we got him while we finished digging him out. He finally sucked some air in and started snoring for 5-10 mins then the eyes opened took another 5- 10 mins before he snapped out of the blank stare then he he looked at all of us and asked us how we were doing..so we sat him up setting the avy bag off by accident. Dug the sled out and headed down to the cabin he told us there that it all seemed like a dream at the time when he was unconscious.
Glad to hear he is OK. Doesn't sound like he got his bag deployed in time? Great job on the rescue to. I don't think the guys that do the digging and searching get enough credit.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

DUS

Reaction score
Its been an amazing weekend of riding after the most recent reload. But yes, there have been reports of a few close calls.

The winds have picked up and moved snow a lot of snow around created reactive windslabs on leeward features.

We have credible reports from as north as the Renshaw and as south as Allen Creek of close calls and near misses due to this condition.

Play safe out there. Make conservative terrain choices and enjoy the ride.

Just a reminder of VARDA's avalnache awareness night this Thursday at the Best Western Valemount beginning at 630pm. Presentations from Avalanche Canada representatives, draws, 50/50, cash bar etc

Where is this pic from Curtis?

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Westridge avalanche noted above. Great job by the riding crew to only expose one person and the rescuers for getting to the guy in time. I would be very interested to hear why the bag was not deployed. I always find this interesting. I would like to know how we can make these easier to deploy, how to better practice if access is a problem etc etc. But im a snow geek and am always thinking about this stuff.

From the pic, that was a Size 3 and this has happened before on that same slope. It is not a play slope but one option to get over in the back bowls. Due to the fetch zone on the windward side of the picture, there is a tone of snow available for transport and this slope is always heavily wind loaded. There are other route options, that are arguably a better choice by lowering slope angle, loading potential and exposure time but they are not as common.

Where is this pic from Curtis?

smurferdude

Reaction score
Heading to Valemount tomorrow morning (Wednesday). Have no riding partners for Wednesday and Thursday, small group heading out Friday. If anyone is riding Allen Creek Wednesday and Thursday and don't mind a tag along, let me know.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Oasis yesterday. Lots of sun. Tons of untouched, no evidence of anyone being in on the weekend. Don't expect deep powder snow. Quite set up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

miket7070

Reaction score
Rode chappell today it was great there was still lots of snow we went to the back in the trees not a track anywhere only 2 of us there today had the whole place to ourselves rode down on fumes at the end of the day.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think this precipitation will turn into any snow up top? Hopefully you a couple patches of fresh for us weekend warriors lol a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only first hand info will tell. POURING rain right now with freezing levels forecasted of up to 1800m........YUK

Think this precipitation will turn into any snow up top? Hopefully you a couple patches of fresh for us weekend warriors lol a

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
The Westridge avalanche noted above. Great job by the riding crew to only expose one person and the rescuers for getting to the guy in time. I would be very interested to hear why the bag was not deployed. I always find this interesting. I would like to know how we can make these easier to deploy, how to better practice if access is a problem etc etc. But im a snow geek and am always thinking about this stuff.

From the pic, that was a Size 3 and this has happened before on that same slope. It is not a play slope but one option to get over in the back bowls. Due to the fetch zone on the windward side of the picture, there is a tone of snow available for transport and this slope is always heavily wind loaded. There are other route options, that are arguably a better choice by lowering slope angle, loading potential and exposure time but they are not as common.

From the lake where we were when he triggered the slide it looked like he just started down and it hit him from behind the last I seen him he was on the sled as it rolled to the right side then he disappeared. Seen the ski tips a couple more rolls then the snow was shooting over the rock ledge at us, we ripped up to a bench higher up till it quit moving. I really don't think he had time to reach for he rip cord or if the thought even crossed his mind in time.

When we first got to the lake in the morning I took my nephew for a loop to the north and we seen lots of natural slides in that area, I did a climb on a 50-60 ft high ridge and it slide very easily so we decided not to even head up to where the big slide happened it looked very unstable and a lot of snow hanging up top. There was just the two of us there at the time and we had all the powder we needed around the lake and the cabin. Not even three hours later we are digging the guy out and it did slide very easy he was way to the left side when he climbed it fractured the whole Ridge all the way across!! He was pushed thru the first ravine that filled right level with snow and he was still under 3-4 ft. It took all the 5 of us had to get him out in the nick of time. ��

miket7070

Reaction score
Rode keyhole yesterday it was raining most of the way up but did eventually turn to snow, conditions were still awesome the trees are holding some deeeeeep snow still.

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is quite the deal you went through with the avalanche rescue. There is no doubt it is a vertical type area and has a number of areas that like to avalanche. That area you refer to has certainly come down in the past. This is a little bit old but about 3 hours later when we came back through, this whole face had come down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZ8_0HmaTo&t=1s

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the lake where we were when he triggered the slide it looked like he just started down and it hit him from behind the last I seen him he was on the sled as it rolled to the right side then he disappeared. Seen the ski tips a couple more rolls then the snow was shooting over the rock ledge at us, we ripped up to a bench higher up till it quit moving. I really don't think he had time to reach for he rip cord or if the thought even crossed his mind in time.

When we first got to the lake in the morning I took my nephew for a loop to the north and we seen lots of natural slides in that area, I did a climb on a 50-60 ft high ridge and it slide very easily so we decided not to even head up to where the big slide happened it looked very unstable and a lot of snow hanging up top. There was just the two of us there at the time and we had all the powder we needed around the lake and the cabin. Not even three hours later we are digging the guy out and it did slide very easy he was way to the left side when he climbed it fractured the whole Ridge all the way across!! He was pushed thru the first ravine that filled right level with snow and he was still under 3-4 ft. It took all the 5 of us had to get him out in the nick of time. 🍻

Good thing he got pushed thru the ravine and not stuck in the bottom of it. I seen the video on Chads Facebook. Good job on the rescue Collin.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are quite excited to say that our Avalanche Awareness night raised just under $3000.00 for the Al Hodgson Memorial Fund for snowmobiler avalanche education. Thanks to everyone who donated and participated.

Now for the upcoming weekend, you can see our video post below from 170216 for additional info, but the lower valley temperatures are quite warm and we are working with almost spring like conditions on the lower trails, but with cool night time temps, they seem to be holding up well.

The freezing level has been around 1800m and there was between 20-25cms of new snow up top on Thursday and it look like more fell up high overnight. We should have good riding over the Family Day weekend.

We are grooming all three areas nightly over the weekend (as user numbers dictate)

NOTE: Allan Creek will be getting a mid day groom on Saturday the 17th beginning at 11am.

Please watch for the groomer on the trail at all times.

Attachments

• 16804110_1544226505606328_5998725218555020251_o.jpg
    16804110_1544226505606328_5998725218555020251_o.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 642

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 of us in clemina today,awesome snow a bit further back,awesome snow in the trees!small slide self triggered-south facing slope,stay off the steep stuff it will pop! Ride safe!

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day at Allen. Still good snow to be found. Forgot my Jerry can up at the cabin and didn't feel safe running up and grabbing it with everyone coming down. Little 10L wrapped in camo duct tape. If anyone snagged it for me that would be sweet, let me know
d01d4a5758a950fdedc5042aa0d60d9f.jpg

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome conditions out there for the Alberta Family Day weekend.

Full pull with the groomers of all three areas tonight and another mid-day bonus groom at Allen creek tomorrow.

Have fun and ride safe!

Attachments

• 16830792_1545640722131573_4461510758899568329_n.jpg
    16830792_1545640722131573_4461510758899568329_n.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 16832081_1545640708798241_9143091429091453648_n.jpg
    16832081_1545640708798241_9143091429091453648_n.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 16832264_1545640702131575_2198930363948072612_n.jpg
    16832264_1545640702131575_2198930363948072612_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 484
Top Bottom