2015 Summt X T3 174 First Ride Impressions Part 2 & 3

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like snow that I would drive back home when having Dave.... Need some deep power vid comparisons, where a 174 is wanted... also will that skid stay down on the steep... Attack angle is crazy steep with the seven tooth drivers

What about a turbo install with that skid... Will we need to upgrade skid...

driven a few 174 with a 800 stocker... Not my cup of tea, be nice to see some turbo vids of it

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred I agree. I don't know why anyone would ride in those snow conditions, especially a 174. A dirt bike would have been a better ride that day.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
That looks like snow that I would drive back home when having Dave.... Need some deep power vid comparisons, where a 174 is wanted... also will that skid stay down on the steep... Attack angle is crazy steep with the seven tooth drivers

What about a turbo install with that skid... Will we need to upgrade skid...

driven a few 174 with a 800 stocker... Not my cup of tea, be nice to see some turbo vids of it

Yes I would not be out on that day either but our group had a blast riding the new 174 and if I did do a vid of powder, all guys say is that,"anything rides good in the powder" this 174 out rides all previous xm's it climbs, descends, and carves better, and it feels more planted, so the skid does not want to wheelie, cheers dave

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were there any cooling issues in those conditions?

Yes I would not be out on that day either but our group had a blast riding the new 174 and if I did do a vid of powder, all guys say is that,"anything rides good in the powder" this 174 out rides all previous xm's it climbs, descends, and carves better, and it feels more planted, so the skid does not want to wheelie, cheers dave

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Respectfully have to disagree. Not everything rides good in pow, maybe try an 07 Doo with the challenger lite trencher, that sled couldn't climb out of its own sled track, in any condition. The T3 was built for deep stuff, making slow turns on hardpack isn't going to showcase the ability of any sled. The 174" uses a taller spindle on the front, so the attack angle is increased, this is going to affect floatation on the deeper snow, but won't make a difference on hero other than moving the CG up higher and making it easier to flop over. I want to see what kind of track speed it will maintain on a good climb in hardpack, this will tell you what impact the smaller drivers and different gearing is having (if any), then I want to see clutch temps after the climb. High clutch temps are going to mean potential for belts. Cooling ability is critical, especially with the 3" track and less cooling capacity on the 174.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman to me it looks like all mountain sleds, when running in deep powder, drag the skidplate / bodywork in front of the tunnet on the snow, and this is what keeps the front end from dropping further down. Not the skis. So putting the skis lower relative to the track wouldn't actually change attack angle if I am right.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman to me it looks like all mountain sleds, when running in deep powder, drag the skidplate / bodywork in front of the tunnet on the snow, and this is what keeps the front end from dropping further down. Not the skis. So putting the skis lower relative to the track wouldn't actually change attack angle if I am right.

If your skis and belly pan are touching the snow when climbing in powder or when throttle is on, you are seriously short of HP I would think. The attack angle is very relevant to trenching, if you're just idling around, yeah, the skis and belly pan may be in play.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not following your logic. The bellypan will drag in deep deep snow, but there is still ski pressure and the approach angle is critical to a sleds ability to "plane" up on the snow. Think of a speedboat planer hull vs a displacement hull. Same theory more or less. a shallow angle planes on the water, the other one plows through the water. The spindles on the T3 specifically, are longer under the a-arms. so the front is higher. The new RAS 2 front end being used on the T3 has an additional 20 mm of clearance and the upper a-arm is raised from the lower and more paralell to the lower. I don't know all the geometry specs but guessing this is due to the additional track length and height, once you laid it out, there was probably a compensation factor on the front needed for the taller track. Will be able to measure once I see it in the showroom.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1596770_679232615446260_733198734_o.jpg stock 174!!!

Top Bottom